MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: 318 pinging  (Read 5529 times)

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #45 on: June 05, 2009, 06:16:12 AM »

Hey Matt!!!!So good to hear from you. Thanks for your advice...so an aging coil will provide a weak/cold spark which in turn will cause pre-ignition...Is this the theory? Good stuff to have in my back pocket if this thermostat change doesn't improve anything. Thanks! Say hi to Mopar Siss for me...Bob
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Snotty

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2009, 12:33:12 PM »

I agree - Matt, it's good to see you!\\

Bob, to answer your question, I run Castrol GTX 30HD.  Yes, I run the same thermostat all year, but our average winter temp is 56*.  It's hot here in the Bake!  We will have perhaps 8 days of temperatures below 40, but I don't drive my car on those days.  I have, but not usually.

If I do it's fine, because my heater works great!! 
It's green here in Chico!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2009, 04:05:48 PM »

Well....Pertronix EI and Flamethrower coil are in...timing to TDC spec is done...flushing the cooling system with Prestone + another extended run flush with Dawn is complete...160 * thermostat is in...Engine is running much much cooler now...I have much more power now...and no pinging! What a beautiful ride now...I's happy

furyfever2009-06-23 21:08:19
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2009, 06:56:01 PM »

Just remember to pat yourself on the back for a Job Well Done
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2009, 11:40:44 AM »

All right Bob!

steve fogel

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2009, 05:38:52 PM »

Or you can go down to the local airfield and get some 108 octane.  I'd like to get some of that in my 69, it  pings on pump gas.  Some of the 76 stations used to sell 108, but that's rare.  Octane booster is the answer.

Snotty

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2009, 09:22:44 AM »

I was in Sacramento a week ago and saw a 76 Station offering Race Gas - $7.50 a gallon!  Funny thing was, the station was no where near Sacramento Raceway.  ????

steve fogel

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2009, 07:43:19 PM »

ouch that's some mighty expensive go-juice......

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2012, 11:31:30 AM »

Gents,
That was a fine read/thread re: 318 pinging!

If anyone is still listening, I'm looking for advice on the proper timing of a '66 300 440 with a mechanical Mallory with Pertronix and Mallory Super Coil (or something super Mallory).
I only run the highest octane I can get, and, like previously mentioned, throw in an octane booster in the summer or whenever I can remember... Some stations sell the same "brand", but their gas doesn't always smell the same.... [ I miss that lead ethyl smell.] 

My thermostat is the 180 and my water temps are between it and 190 down the highway, and up to 210-220 at a stop light.

I don't ping or knock or make any sound with the current set up:  TOTAL advance is 12.5 degrees BTC.  

My question starts with this: The '66 manual states in a chart a setting for vacuum distr (less than 12.5) and one for mechanical (12.5 at the upper RPMs).   BUT, further down on the same page, I can read "Basic Timing" is 12.5 BTC.   AND, if I remember, correctly, the reading portion in the manual talks about "basic timing" at idle...   I'm confused and I'll re-read it all, again. 

I wanted to know if I'm silly to advance the timing and test until pinging with a full load (1000 pounds of people) and WOT - then, back off?  

Thank you!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #54 on: April 24, 2012, 06:46:47 PM »

Just set the timing a degree or two above the 12.5, but no more.  Adjust the timing with the vacuum advance disconnected

Guests

318 pinging
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2012, 07:28:36 PM »

Since you have a Mallory and Pertronics, you most likely have too much mechanical advance, your total advance minus the vacuum advance should not exceed 36 degrees, which means you could only have 23.5 degrees inside the distributor if you are running 12.5degrees at the crank. Ported vacuum should bleed off as soon as you hit the throttle when pulling a hill with your weight in the car.

Now, Mallory mechanical distributors are set up for racing and the advance springs will be set too light for a heavy car and people like yours, and 440s in these cars do not like the advance to be too quick, guarantee you have a couple light springs in there for racing and you want a heavy and a medium spring to slow the advance down. It doesn't matter how much octane booster and high octane gas you have or use, there is only so much pinging that can be prevented, so it is the advance curve that needs fixed.

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2012, 12:30:02 PM »

Thank you, POLARACO and dana44!   I think I know what you are saying, both.  :-)
My springs are light: I agree.  It seems to advance on just a touch.  Thank you.
I do have to check the total mech advance... It might be in the 25 range, so I may need to back off the crank setting.

Finally, just a follow-up:  What SHOULD my target IDLE speed be?  I ask because when the headlights are on, and I'm at a light in neutral, do I want that red dial straight in the middle or does it HAVE to be "charging" to the right?

Good day, All!

Guests

318 pinging
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2012, 12:42:07 PM »

With these older cars and smaller alternators, at a stop light with the headlights and brakes all on, they do tend to drop below the center and actually show a slight discharge, it is natural. Upgrading to a larger 75-120amp alternator, somewhere in the 1978 or above I believe, this should prevent this from happening, stock alternator is around 35amps, so it isn't very powerful, but works. Your idle should be set around 750rpm, 850rpm tops with a very mild cam.

• View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #58 on: April 25, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »

Many thanks for such a quick response!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
318 pinging
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2012, 01:21:11 PM »

Quote from: 66-300-440
Thank you, POLARACO and dana44!   I think I know what you are saying, both.  :-)
My springs are light: I agree.  It seems to advance on just a touch.  Thank you.
I do have to check the total mech advance... It might be in the 25 range, so I may need to back off the crank setting.

Finally, just a follow-up:  What SHOULD my target IDLE speed be?  I ask because when the headlights are on, and I'm at a light in neutral, do I want that red dial straight in the middle or does it HAVE to be "charging" to the right?

Good day, All!

Depending on what cam you have, 650-700 on a street cam automatic trans.  Manual you may want to be about the same.  I think factory spec is 600 in drive
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC