MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: My weekend sucked, how you all doing?  (Read 735 times)

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
My weekend sucked, how you all doing?
« on: October 04, 2010, 03:04:44 AM »

Jen & I had made plans to go to the Michigan Rennaissance Festival on Saturday.  Since I work nights, this involved heading out after about 2 hours sleep, but I can deal with that.

The first hour at the fair was fun, but then the rain started, and the temperture, which hadn't ever made it above 50 started dropping.

I've been doing some work in the Dart's trunk, so we drove the Chrysler.  Coming home it seemed to be vibrating more than usuall, and just east of Flint starting making an unpleasant noise.  So I bailed off at the next exit and discovered that the RF outer wheel bearing was completely toast.

Fortunately I got ahold of a friend sort of in the area, who knew a guy, who knew a guy with a flatbead tow truck who was able to get to us in less than 1/2 an hour, and actually got us home before dark.

So, for at least this week, I'm down to one car, the one with the half finished patch in the front floor, and several holes in the trunk.

Walked into Jen's apartment and discovered that the toilet had backed up depositing what can only be described as "sludge" all over the bathroom floor.!     (I could describe it other ways, but would probably get censored ;)  )

This drain has been an issue since she moved in a couple of months ago, and they have assured her that it is fixed each time they snake it (I've lost track, but I think between the property manager, the maintanence guy, and an actual plumber it has been 7 or 8 attempts in the last 3 weeks.

After yet another visit by the (new this week, & pretty much clueless)  maintanence guy, I heard it gurgling again, and only by bailing about 3-4 gallons into a bucket kept it from dumping out again.

A couple more calls to the property manager, and they actually found a plumber who would come out at midnight on a Saturday.  (glad I'm not paying THAT bill!)

He left a little after 1 am without actually unclogging it.  Says they are coming back on Monday to replace all the pipe from her bath to the main drain down in the boiler room (it's mostly the original 85 year old cast iron stuff) but that in the mean time, he has isolated her toilet from the rest of the drain, so it can't be used, but won't back up if somebody in an apartment upstairs uses theirs.

This sounded good, untill Jen called me late Sunday afternoon. 
The "isolated" toilet had just overflowed for the second time in an hour!!!

My assumption is that the plumber either
a) lied to me about what he did
b) he doesn't know any more than the maintenence guy
c) the plumbing in this building works by magic!
take your pick.

Their current solution is to put notes on all the doors, explaing that all 12 apartments on this side of the building should go over to the one empty unit on the other side of the building and use that bathroom until this gets fixed.

I think I'm actually glad it's Monday

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 03:19:46 AM »

Check for a 400 lb. guy eating beans and nachos on the floor above...

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 03:45:46 AM »

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 07:31:21 AM »

Ahhh old cast iron plumbing....now that can cause some issues.

Sounds like the main line, just below her apartment is clogged up, they will probably be surprised what they find, shirt, pants, underwear, diaper etc.....once that clog is removed from the main line everything will be back to normal.  But snaking the line from the apartment out into the mainline is not going to solve the problem.  The size of the blockage is going to way more then a little snake can handle.  They should try and router the main line from either the roof, since it should be vented, or from an inspection cover, or fitting, in the basement.

I worked in the Poo industry for 5-6 years so I have seen pretty much everything you can see.....and a few things I wish I never did...........

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 07:53:17 AM »

Oh boy. .
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:47:59 AM »

OK, OK, I didn't need ot read the latter portion of this.  I'm sorry for Jen, but I'm going to have nightmares!!!!  Some people have recurring dreams of dogs attacking them - I have them about bad plumbing.

That's why I refused to watch that "Bad Water" movie with Jennifer Connelly, or whatever it's name was.

Gack!!!
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 10:10:01 AM »

Wooos

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 10:11:26 AM »

Quote from: 1965Windsor361

Good Greif Jason

Where did you find that picture?  Reminds me of a skinnier version of myself, Brace and all!     

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 02:48:17 PM »

Hey pumping $hit may not be glamorous work...but there sure is job security in it.....

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

steve fogel

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 09:20:28 PM »

Sludge flows downhill....

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 12:16:41 AM »

Snotty -  I don't have plumbing nightmares, but should have skipped "Dark Water" too. 

-----------------------

The toilet is working so far.  Not sure what exactly they did, but there is a new access panel in the closet on the other side of the wall.  At some point, I'll have to take a look.

The real question is whether anyone is coming back to clean up the mess they left, replace the strainer in the bathtub drain, and tighten the seeping supply line, or not.   I'm not holding my breath, so will bring tools tomorrow.

---------------------------

To get back to the car, I dug an extra spindle up.  Am I correct that it is the same part on both sides?

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:20:29 AM »

Quote from: D Cluley
  I'm not holding my breath, so will bring tools tomorrow.

I'l bet Jen is - it has to stink in her apartment!! 
It's green here in Chico!!

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 11:16:04 PM »

LOL!!

It's ok, now, but we had enough bleach in there to make my eyes water on Sunday.

The vent fan has been running continuously, and it's been nice enough to keep the windows open a bit.
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 04:32:43 AM »

After having to unclog the main line in my house a few times there is a strict rule on what goes down the toilet here.. and trust m it too a while before I would eat corn again.. LOL

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Guests

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 05:10:24 PM »

How much to you want to bet there is a vent tube that is clogged somewhere? I have seen this a couple times, thought it was bogus, but it isn't. You can run a rooter down the drain all day long and the other floors above will  make yours back up because there is a vent that is plugged.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC