MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flushing 41 Plym. cooling system  (Read 632 times)

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
Flushing 41 Plym. cooling system
« on: October 02, 2010, 04:45:52 AM »

Steve had mentioned a while back when I was flushing the cooling system in my 69 Fury that one could add Dawn dish detergent or Muriatic Acid to the system? I've used Dawn before but it takes many subsequent flushes to get all the "bubbles" out...If I use Muriatic acid I realize I need to be careful...so...How much can I add without ruining the radiator or something else? Also...I've used the Prestone flush before but I was never impressed with the results...

Bob 
_popupControl();

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 04:51:38 AM »

The Dawn.

If it takes tht long to get the bubbles out, you didn't drive the car around long enough.  The polutants eventually kill the dawn suds and you's never know it was in there

POLARACO2010-10-02 09:54:49
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 10:44:23 AM »

_popupControl();
If I rememeber rightly Steve I ran around most of the summer with the Dawn in there. I also remember flushing and flushing and flushing it afterward to get it bubble free too. Hmmmmm. So how much muriatic acid there buddy???

A cap full?...a cup full?...a pint...? a quart?... a half gallon?
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 12:57:58 PM »

A gallon of Muriatic and a quart of Dawn. . .That ought to open her up.  hehehehehe

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 01:15:01 PM »

I know these are cheaper and simpler methods, but I've always had good luck with those rad flush systems from the parts stores.  Then once flushed clean add a bottle of water wetter to the system, and the appropriate amount of coolant, and I never seem to have too many problems.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 02:53:39 PM »

You can leave the detergent in forever if you want- it's a surfactant (like Water Wetter) that decreases the surface tension of the coolant so you don't get hot spots. While it doesn't work quite as well as Water Wetter, it is a whole lot cheaper.
  As for the acid, I seem to remember someone on the Dock that used 1 cup and left it in for a week.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 03:30:21 PM »

Yeah, but we need to be cautious.  This a 41.  I am sure there is a share of unobtainium in that car

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 05:47:21 PM »

_popupControl();
Hey guys...Thanks very much for all your input. That's all good info...except for Steve's of course I squirted a little bit of Dawn in there when I refilled it today after draining it for the second time. I'll keep doing it till it comes out clean...At least it's good to know  that I don't have to get every last bit out afterwards. I never heard of water wetter? I've always just diluted the new antifreeze (~50/50) with distilled water.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 10:06:06 PM »

Water wetter is good stuff.  It's kind of like spraying soap on water with a film of grease on it.  It breaks it right up.  It does the same with the water as the Wingnut explained.  Actually helps cool the engine.

Another good item, especially in those old beasts, is emulsified oil in the Rad.  It helps prevent solder bloom and lubricates the water pump.  It was used allot back in those days.  The oil also acted as a water wetter as well.  When you finish flushing, find some of that and put it in.

POLARACO2010-10-03 03:06:59

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 05:42:13 AM »

Can you guys believe that I'm still draining/filling/driving this 41 to flush out the cooling system? I'm running out of time here...It's now starting to get real cold at night! The water is still coming out looking like apple cider. I bet I've repeated this process over a dozen times by now! Anyone ever had to go to this extent?

PS...You're right Steve!...Dawn keeps the rust sediment suspended in the water indefinitely...when I didn't add Dawn, the rust settles right to the bottom of the catch pan after a couple of hours.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 08:33:25 AM »

I believe it. . .   I had that problem in Polaraco when I had a leak in the lower hose.  instead of tightening the clamp, SOMEBODY kept adding water.  I found out in January.  Up until I removed the engine, I was still flushing the cooling system out
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC