MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 57 Plymouth Belvedere 301v8 w/ 4brl running poorly  (Read 1023 times)

firedome

• View Profile
57 Plymouth Belvedere 301v8 w/ 4brl running poorly
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 03:01:49 PM »

All those compression numbers are way low in general, oui? Shouldn't they be up around 140?

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 04:00:54 PM »

The rockers are real quiet. They were before I adjusted them too...None were loose but some were obviously too tight. Most importantly now the motor runs very smooth. I can't believe how adjusting those valves made such a big difference. Checked the timing again...it's still very steady...not jumping around. When new, this 301 poly had 140 compression yes...but now it's 53 years old! No gray/blue smoke spewing out of the exhaust that I can see. I'm sure it could use rebuilding...but as long as she runs smooth for the 500-1000 miles a year that I'll be using it... it's good enough for me.

Anybody know how much % compression should be down on a well used motor?

furyfever2010-10-04 09:29:28
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 04:47:21 PM »

I think the valves are still too tight.  The poly always had a slight valve noise.  Check them again. 

Steady timing just says the timing chain is in good shape
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 04:49:20 PM »

Could also have a sunk exhaust valve, these things do  not have hardened seats.

Tom

They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad( O Brother Where Art Thou? )

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 04:52:13 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
I think the valves are still too tight.  The poly always had a slight valve noise.  Check them again. 

furyfever2010-10-04 09:29:46
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Guests

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 06:51:32 PM »

Even if the valves are sunk, Mopars have been good about having hard enough material to prevent them from any major damage, so I don't think that is the issue. Now that you have the valves adjusted, no blue smoke and no other smoking, time to get a can of Engine Restore and add to the oil and drive it for a good hour to loosen everything up real good. I have had some pretty good luck with slightly tired engines and this improving the removal of glazing of the cylinders and seating the rings a little bit better, raising the compression back to normal when there isn't any real physical damage. It's worth it to try for less than $10.

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2010, 03:32:21 AM »

I agree!!

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 04:36:11 AM »

Quote from: dana44
Even if the valves are sunk, Mopars have been good about having hard enough material to prevent them from any major damage, so I don't think that is the issue. Now that you have the valves adjusted, no blue smoke and no other smoking, time to get a can of Engine Restore and add to the oil and drive it for a good hour to loosen everything up real good. I have had some pretty good luck with slightly tired engines and this improving the removal of glazing of the cylinders and seating the rings a little bit better, raising the compression back to normal when there isn't any real physical damage. It's worth it to try for less than $10.

Engine Restore huh?...I'll give it a try Ed...and I'm going to back off (just a tiny bit) )on the tightness of the rockers as per Steve's advice too...Thanks guys. I really appreciate all your wisdom.

Bob

One more question...I always buy 10w-30 oil for my old cars. Am I doing the right thing? I live in upstate NY....don't run the cars from Nov. through March except for starting them up a few times during that stretch. 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2010, 07:58:41 AM »

Engine Restore is made of Squid Oil.   LOL

Guests

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2010, 08:49:08 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Engine Restore is made of Squid Oil.   LOL

UMMM, in your opionion, does that make it good, or bad?

Like I said, if there isn't anything major wrong with the engine, it seems to work in livening things up, if there is something major wrong, like broken rings or bad valves, one can of the stuff is pretty cheap way to find out if there is any more life in her and is cheaper than tearing her down to find out.dana442010-10-05 01:50:58

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2010, 09:14:15 PM »

Made you laugh. didn't I?  Squid oil is good.  It's better for the lugnuts, wingnuts, peanuts, what ever they call those fly boys. . . .

Bob. . .10-30 is fine.  But run something a bit heavier in the summer.  20-40 or 20-50.  The best way to know for sure is to put a mechanical oil pressure gauge on it and see where it is at idle and hot.  If it's 15 or below at idle with the 30 weight, go to the 50 in the summer.  Just make sure that cooling system is up to snuff.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC