MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 65 Chrysler 413 Crankshaft Hey ED!  (Read 1601 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
65 Chrysler 413 Crankshaft Hey ED!
« on: September 30, 2010, 03:41:47 PM »

I have started to take the motor down to see what I can get away with and not.

Ed  this is what I found in the crank.  It's really not in bad shape.  The motor looks pretty good.  The ridge in the cylinders is about .002 with a feeler gauge.

This bearing is the only one I have opened, but I would expect the rest to look about the same.  But it is closest to the oil pump. . . . .

The bearing feels rough in the cebter groove, but is smooth otherwise.  The crank has a couple of very minor pits in it, don't know if you can see them in the pic or not.  Otherwise it looks better than the pic in real life.  It looks like a product of allot of dry starts.  I believe this motor only has 38,000 miles on it.  The cam is beautiful!  Even the timing chain is taught.  I think new lifters, chain and gears, seals and I'm done.  But!

Here's the question.  Do you think I can get away with just slipping in a new set of bearings, or should I have the crank polished???

POLARACO2010-09-30 20:43:50
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 03:50:24 PM »

Good observation on the dry starts more than likely, so the question is, since I take it you are going to pull the crank to replace the seals and such, ridge and hone the block, clean it and what-not, do you have the ability to take some 400 wet/dry and then 600 wet/dry and do about five rotations wet on each journal?  About a 30rpm rotation speed and like I said, about five rotations with alcohol or laquer thinner with the two grits would do a polish without taking any metal off and she should be more than fine (it's what I do with pretty cranks and bearings). Since I don't see the journal oil holes, again, make sure sharp edges are removed before the polishing.

I lathe works really well for this, nice and slow speed,  something like that. It does need to spin at a smooth and steady speed for the best job, the wet/dry in strips the width of the journal and a little squirt bottle of solvent to keep from getting dry and gumming up the paper.dana442010-09-30 20:53:24

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 04:06:48 PM »

I wasn't planning on pulling the jugs.  But I think I can probably turn it by hand one jprnel at a time.  I could just leave it be and just clean it up too.  I intend to pull all the journals for inspection though.

The used diesel oil seems to be breaking all the carbon pretty well, so I continue to put some in the cylinders all the way around and rotate the the crank.  I'm going to soak the cylinders with some Sea Foam as well to disolve that carbon.

Here's my plan at this point.
Leave the bottom be except for a set of seals, chain and gears, oil pump. Cheap.   Planning on porting the 65 heads and swapping them to the 62 3ngine. 

I have a set of closed chamber 440 heads too.  Since the car is getting MPI, (Shut up stan), I may put a tourquier cam in that motor.  I'm in allot of indecision at the moment on that

Leaburn, what were they from?  Are they flow heads?

Guests

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 04:15:48 PM »

Sure you can do it that way, have someone turn it as smoothly as possible to help, and yes, you can push the pistons up all the way to clear them pretty well. You going to sneaky pete the rear main seal or actually pull the whole crank?

440 closed chamber heads, the lip at the start of the quench area, remove it completely at the angle of the valve plane (it's what I do, plenty of metal), and for just a second thought, verify those heads have 1.74 exhaust valves, not the 1.60s, which tend to make the engines run warm because they are too small. A 361 and 383 can get away with it but a 413 really can't.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 04:33:15 PM »

I have to be careful with the heat.  This is only a 21" rad.  Fortunately, Snotty had the sense to have a 3 row recore done.

I am planning on putting the Edelbrock full blown Alpha N system in this.  It could very well replace Polaraco.  It was intended to be my daily 8 years ago.  Polaraco may never have been created if it were

Guests

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 05:09:40 PM »

Here's an idea. A half gallon capacity heater core mounted somewhere to get fresh air to it through a heater core hose. If she is running fine, the heater would be off, and if she runs extra warm, have an air conditioner valve to open the flow greater to cycle extra fluid through this mini radiator to keep her cooler.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 06:07:34 PM »

Or just have a heater core under the hood somewhere in the air flow.  I think it will be fine myself.  I could put an electric booster fan in the front for all that stop and go.  Snotty didn't ever mention it running hot so I think I'll be good.

Going back to the bottom end on this motor, I think I'm just going to put a rear main seal in it and close it up.  The front bearing is the worst of all of them on the mains.  Spot checking the rods, they are perfect.  I can still see some cross hatching in the cylinders, so my read on this is it was scrapped because the title was lost.  There's not enough in there for me to drop 500 bucks on the bottom end.  So, I'll go to my cheap plan and just freshen the seals, oil pump and flushing the inside of the block. 

I figured I'd fill it with some Lacquer thinner  and run the old oil pump a while to get the oil galleries washed out.  then fill the block to the top and let it soak for a while, agitating it now and then, and draining.  Since it will be sitting for the winter, it should be nice and dry in the spring..  Then I'll just prime the hell out of it when I install it

Guests

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 06:15:24 PM »

Yeah, that will work. Do a gasket set and seals, clean her out real good and be done with it. Got my vote.

Is there a date stamp on the backs of the bearing shells???????dana442010-09-30 23:15:51

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 06:20:13 PM »

I didn't take them out of the caps.  I just rotated the crank to inspect all sides.

I have to remember to torque all this back up.  LOL

Guests

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 06:23:28 PM »

You think?

Since they are loose, check the date on one of the shells for salts and giggles.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 06:43:31 PM »

Aw come on!  I just washed my hands

Guests

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 06:49:18 PM »

Tomorrow's another day......

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 07:12:08 PM »

2-64

What are you looking for?

Guests

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 08:03:16 PM »

Original bearings....they're almost as old as me!

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 12:42:07 AM »

Put a set of fully grooved mains in there to prolong the life of the stock rod bearings by giving them fulltime oiling. I would use a High volume oilpump aswell then.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC