MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: My parts truck did a barbecue  (Read 1791 times)

Guests

My parts truck did a barbecue
« on: September 29, 2010, 04:35:44 PM »

Well, during the summer a friend totalled my 95 Dakota, ran a stop sign and hit another car. OK, so it happens, fine, I can get over it eventually, premiums will eventually go down, first accident in my life, the other one doesn't count, I was rear ended in stop and go traffic and I drove away along with the other gal.

So about six weeks ago I found another 95 Dakota Sport out in Arizona, daughter picked it up, I went out a week later and had a friend follow me home, no issues, decent little 2.5 and 5spd manual, engine will go in the TR4 in the future as I was pretty impressed with its level of power in a small pickup. So off to DMV to get the title changed to California, and three hours and $212 all I have to do is have the VIN verified at DMV, smog, and weight of the truck verified (still trying to figure that one out).

Well, I still have another 33 days to get everything done, and I couldn't get a few items for the garage into the PT Cruiser (yes, 16foot 2X4s will fit in a PT Cruiser with a moonroof!), so I go over to Home Depot, get the stuff loaded into the truck, pull away and I see smoke coming out the sides of the hood. I immediately shut the engine off and coast to a parking area. The spot on the hood is now getting larger, more smoke, so I quickly pop the hood and see wires and rubber hoses burning, other items melting (a bit of plastic under there). Couple guys come over with jugs of water and we get the fire put out with a gallon and a half of water, so electrical fire vice fuel fire.

Friend came over with his Lightning he bought two weeks ago, loaded the stuff up and brought all my materials home, now I have to get the truck towed over to his place so my wrecked truck will be able to keep my burned truck company. I guess the 3.9 5spd in the good body and frame will be done sooner than later now, that is as soon as I get my garage finished.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 06:31:44 PM »

Ohhhh  Nooooooooooooo

Sheeesh Ed. . .you have not been doing well lately.

You gonna make one out of the 2?

Any idea what caused it?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 04:30:10 AM »

Use the Dakota frame under a hot rod of your choice.  Personally, I'd look for a fifties Dodge pick-em-up.

Commando12010-09-30 09:59:21

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 04:38:44 AM »

Those Dakotas sound jinxed... it might put a spell on that poor TR.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2010, 05:50:32 AM »

I dunno, my Son-in-law but 260K on one just like it.  He had the 2.5 Manual.  Had very little trouble with it.  I think we put a clutch and exhaust in it.  That was about it.

Guests

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2010, 06:12:51 AM »

I bought it with 224K on it, intended to use the body and frame only to replace the other one that was wrecked. It was a decent bodied truck and she just ran well overall. Heck, she was running good enough that I was simply thinking of driving it the way it was until the clutch gave out (it rides a little high, so I know it wasn't going to last much longer). I don't think she is jinxed, in fact she might have been trying to tell me there was a problem and I wasn't listening. The volt gage took a couple tweak drops in numbers several times towards the end of the AZ to CA trip, then it stopped doing it. I think there was a short somewhere instead of an alternator going out problem and I just didn't pop the hood and check close enough to really catch the problem. I gotta get the garage finished so I can actually start doing something instead of talking about it.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 06:18:44 AM »

Guests

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 08:11:15 AM »

Window and door headers, top plate and trusses are on the agenda today.

Yep, I gotta gitter done sooner rather than later.

Guests

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 01:12:49 PM »

So now I am dealing with it raining cats and dogs, I just can't win. Working in the rain isn't the issue, it's the electricity and power tools in the rain that is the issue. 

I think I am going to go into the kitchen and do some cooking.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 03:46:51 PM »

I agree.   I work in the rain all summer.  I try to do all my electrical work on the good days, when rain is forcasted and use the air tools on the bad says.  But I'm not building a state of the art Garage either.

See?  Swabbies aren't afraid to get wet. LOL

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 04:02:08 PM »

Cripes, it's rained like hell steadily all day here too.  And like
Ed, I was, also, all ready to break ground on a long delayed
carport/addition off the back of my garage today. Grrrr...

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Guests

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 04:06:42 PM »

I love working in the rain, not rain and electrical tools, especially since the power cord, a 250ft 12/2 wire and only one 30amp fuse for the whole house. It was better than Tuesday when I had to redo three walls, two 15ft walls with shear panels (8ftX8ft) and the 3X8 shear panels and 18ft 4X12 beam for the garage door itself. We broke a high temp that day, and I got them all down and up, alone, and only fell off a sawhorse and scraped my leg once. That was a bad day. I decided to give up today, after the third rain deluge, when I was cutting a board under a piece of plywood with plastic covering it, and a thunderclap overhead set off car alarms in the neighborhood. I am in a canyon area, house on one side, garage over a natural ditch on the other side, so I get to hear a lot of things out there. News reported over 850 lightning strikes on ground by 2pm, so quite a cool little storm out of the blue.

Marc

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 05:01:37 PM »

To all of you guys in the rain it was 78 and sunny here in South Dakota. I also drive a Dakota and have had only minor problems.
All Kinds of Mopar Parts

Guests

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 05:55:31 PM »

Quote from: Moores Auto
To all of you guys in the rain it was 78 and sunny here in South Dakota. I also drive a Dakota and have had only minor problems.

The big question is, are you bragging or complaining, I'm not sure.....

Let me know how that weather is in December and January...while you are worried about the thickness of your insulation I will be worried about whether I wear my khaki shorts or dark blue shorts.

It's all good, and I do agree, it is beautiful up there (I'm orininally from Washington State, west side).

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 09:52:22 PM »

To all of you guys in the rain it was 78 and sunny here in South Dakota. I also drive a Dakota and have had only minor problems.[/QUOTE]

I'll trade you- we tied the record here today with a chilly 107F.....
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC