MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: '65 Chrysler Won't Start  (Read 1565 times)

Scott

• View Profile
'65 Chrysler Won't Start
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2010, 05:41:34 AM »

Quote from: D Cluley
Quote from: rexus31
With the key in the "On" position I am getting around 11.5 volts to (+) side of the coil, both sides of the Ballast Resistor and on the Ignition side of the Voltage Regulator.  Is it a bad Ignition Switch or a bad Ballast Resistor or a faulty something else?

Just to make sure, this is with the key just in the "On" position, like the engine is running, not the "Start" that cranks the starter, right?

If so, pull the plugs off the ballast resistor and check those places again.

The connection on the voltage regulator and the single wire plug (just blue) that goes on one end of the ballast resistor should still be about 12 v.

The coil and the two wire ballast resistor connector (one blue, one brown?) should be zero.

If so, then somehow the ballast resistor isn't dropping the voltage like it should.

If you still show 12v on the wire from the ballast resistor to the coil, then somehow that brown wire is getting power, which it shouldn't unless the key is in the start posistion.

I will check the voltage of the wires disconnected from the ballast.  At this point it is a faulty ballast or a faulty ignition switch.
rexus312010-09-18 10:42:36
============================================================
"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
'65 Chrysler Won't Start
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2010, 07:14:01 AM »

Poorly made ballast Maybe.  I wouldn't think ignition switch.    hard to tell with the voltage so high at the coil. . .  Remember, when you hit the starter, the ballast is temporarily bypassed and it goes direct.  Unless there is something wrong in the wiring.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Scott

• View Profile
'65 Chrysler Won't Start
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2010, 07:42:28 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Poorly made ballast Maybe.  I wouldn't think ignition switch.    hard to tell with the voltage so high at the coil. . .  Remember, when you hit the starter, the ballast is temporarily bypassed and it goes direct.  Unless there is something wrong in the wiring.

Okay.  I checked the voltages at the ballast wires with them disconnected from the ballast and the key in the "On" position.  The single blue wire has 11.7 volts an the blue/brown wire terminal has zero.  I installed the new ballast and connected the terminals and I am reading 11.7 volts on both sides of the ballast, 11.7 at the (+) side of the coil and 11.7 at the Ignition side of the voltage regulator.  WTF????  There is no way I've got 2 bad ballast resistors, one brand new.  The distributor has continuity but I am hesitant to connect it to the coil with it getting such a high voltage.  I'm stumped. 
"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
'65 Chrysler Won't Start
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 08:02:18 AM »

That is really weird..

What ohm ballast did you install?

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Scott

• View Profile
'65 Chrysler Won't Start
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 09:07:56 AM »

It's running.  What I learned through this whole process is the ballast will not function if the distributor is not connected to the coil.  As soon as I connected the distributor I had 7 volts at the blue/brown terminal on the ballast and at the (+) side of the coil.  Thank God.  The problem is, I'll never really know what the issue was because I changed everything.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
'65 Chrysler Won't Start
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »

Yahhh  Whooooooo

The distributor has to be connected to the coil.  The points interupt the voltage and create A/C.  That's where you get the hot spark from.  All the coil is, is a transformer.  It's packed in oil for cooling. 

Guests

'65 Chrysler Won't Start
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 04:54:34 PM »

YEAAAAAAA!

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
'65 Chrysler Won't Start
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 05:18:49 PM »

I'm glad you found out the issue..

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
'65 Chrysler Won't Start
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2010, 06:40:11 PM »

Just so you know, the blue wire is the coil feed from the Ballast.  The brown wire is in the starter circuit.  It temporarily feeds full voltage to the coil when starting.  This makes it easier to start.  When the starter is engaged, it compensates for the drop in voltage.

That's why I asked if it was trying to start.  If the ballast is bad, it will run as long as the starter is engaged.  When you let the key go, the engine will stop.  Hence the Blue and Brown wires together.

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
'65 Chrysler Won't Start
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2010, 01:16:04 AM »

Glad it worked out.  

The whole "no load" thing that Mike on the Dock pointed out makes sense, just hadn't ever ocurred to me.

Everytime you have a problem with your car, I end up learning something new.
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Scott

• View Profile
'65 Chrysler Won't Start
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2010, 03:43:49 AM »

Quote from: D Cluley
Glad it worked out.  

The whole "no load" thing that Mike on the Dock pointed out makes sense, just hadn't ever ocurred to me.

Me too!  Thanks for your help.  Now, if you ever have any of these issues with your car (I hope you don't) we have a reference.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
'65 Chrysler Won't Start
« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2010, 11:19:50 AM »

Mine will be back next year
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC