MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: 413 industrial with a t-18  (Read 1602 times)

Anthony Prescott

• View Profile
413 industrial with a t-18
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 07:02:41 PM »

damn kids is right, i was born in 85. i DO know what a scout is, had one myself. had a 65 jeep gladiator as well. the question that i pose is this: how many "DAMN KIDS" do you know who work a 20 hour day pulling stuff out of a canyon to bring home bread. i built this myself, without the help from my daddy. its ok though. most KIDS out there dont give a damn. Coming from an oklahoma farm, i do know how to work. thanks
If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Anthony Prescott

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 07:04:56 PM »

you have been a great help though. for this i say thanks. keep ahead of those damn kids. 

Anthony Prescott

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 07:06:18 PM »

is it possible to shave down the input shaft myself, or is it better to take it to a shop?

Guests

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 09:03:19 PM »

Steve picks on all of us, if it isn't damn kids its damn swabbies (Retired Navy, 26years, tells my age), and Steve, well, he beats me by at least a decade. Sounds like you are a worthy individual, yes, but we do have mild name calling at this level, nothing harsher, and it is all in fun. Now that we can all have a big hug and sing Kumbaiya by the campfire built by rubbing two sticks together and flamed by unnecessary anger energy.........

The answer to your input shaft question is to ask a question first. Since the pilot bushing in the end of the crankshaft is part of the problem, have you removed the bushing to see if it is large enough to have it drilled out so the input shaft will fit it? You need to maintain at least .125 wall thickness, more would be better, but the input shaft should be hardened, which makes it difficult to do yourself it has to be done on a lathe to ensure it is kept centered, otherwise it will chew itself up within minutes.

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 04:15:15 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Stick around. . . .Stan may have a whole setup for you.   
You're leaving the new kid on the block a bad impression.
Commando12010-09-13 09:15:52

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 04:20:39 AM »

The more ideal way, but it's not an option now because the crank is in the engine, is to have the end of the crank machined to accept a regular bushing taht will fit your needs.   I'm, personally, always nervous about machining bushings and bearings to "make" them fit. Rather modify where they go into.  Personal preference.
Commando12010-09-13 09:21:32

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 06:27:09 AM »

Quote from: moparmanof85
damn kids is right, i was born in 85. i DO know what a scout is, had one myself. had a 65 jeep gladiator as well. the question that i pose is this: how many "DAMN KIDS" do you know who work a 20 hour day pulling stuff out of a canyon to bring home bread. i built this myself, without the help from my daddy. its ok though. most KIDS out there dont give a damn. Coming from an oklahoma farm, i do know how to work. thanks

I was a farm boy too.  Now I'm even too old to crawl.  

As I said, that's my favorite expression.  We have allot of fun with it.

They're struggling to come up with a roast for me though
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 01:39:40 PM »

Quote from: Commando1
The more ideal way, but it's not an option now because the crank is in the engine, is to have the end of the crank machined to accept a regular bushing taht will fit your needs.   I'm, personally, always nervous about machining bushings and bearings to "make" them fit. Rather modify where they go into.  Personal preference.

This is true, but since it is a simple inside and outside dimension, one may be available by matching up dimensions. As a second thought, since it is an adapted transmission/engine combo, the spacer to make it work may even allow an external bushing be bolted to the flywheel/crank bolts like so many of the newer bushings are. Time to break out the micrometers and calipers to see what he has and what he needs at this point. The analysis has been given, the needed theoretical requirements given, just time to apply them to the situation.
Ed

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 03:05:44 PM »

Seems to me the industrial/truck engines all came drilled.  I can't remember seeing a 413 not drilled.  Allot have come across these eyes over the years. 

The swabbies like them as boat anchors.  I have three 413's.  2- 360's and a 318.  All are drilled now that I think of it
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Guests

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 07:14:45 PM »

Yeah, back in the days, things were built better, prepped better, and good forgings to boot. Time to measure for a pilot bushing, not change the hardening on the input shaft.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 09:23:48 PM »

Quote from: moparmanof85
ok... good point. here's my reasoning... i want a 4 speed with a granny gear. i need it to hold me back going down the hills carrying 7k lbs behind the truck. i hate having to get the rotors turned every three weeks. is there a 4 speed granny box thats heavy heavy? i need a transfer case that will stand pulling junk cars out of a canyon too. what do you think? i've seen some old jeeps in action. and the t-18 did the job right. if you dont think it'll work, give me another option. the front axel has a passenger side pumpkin

NP435.  Made by Mopar's New Process, it was used in all makes, and could be found in trucks all the way to 5 tons, Bobtails, and School Busses for years.   It's a "bullit-proof" transmission.  With the right rear-end gears it will work on anything you would come up with. 
It's green here in Chico!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 03:03:33 AM »

There are bell housings that will mate the BB to the NP434.

Anthony Prescott

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 03:44:44 AM »

thank you all for your replies. i changed my mind though. the truck is originally an automatic, so this would mean changing a whole lot more than the input shaft. i still have the heavy duty 727 that came with the industrial. thats what i'm going to use, along with a devorced transfer case. they have the hi low range that would sort of act like a granny gear. (CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG PLEASE.) so for now, the ind 413 w/ 727. still gonna put my axels in for future t.case. thanks yall

Anthony Prescott

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 03:52:43 AM »

what's the best devorced t.case to score? np? spicer, if they even made one? gimme some numbers guys. remember, im just a damn kid. they stopped making this stuff before i was born. cant find any reference books worth a damn either. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC