MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Torqueflite throttle linkage adjustment question  (Read 3597 times)

tiresmokindad

• View Profile
Torqueflite throttle linkage adjustment question
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »

Quote from: Uncle Hulka
With reference to my 68 Sport Fury, I have been thinking about my transmission problem (rpm runaway at 1-2 & 2-3 shifts) and have a question.

I have adjusted the throttle linkage as outlined in the 1968 Factory Service Manual...BUT my transmission was built in 1971. I learned here that in 1971, they introduced a part throttle kickdown feature to the torqueflite. Now I am wondering if this change in transmission design required a different linkage adjustment procedure than the one for the previous design.

As I started to consider this possibility, I am reminded that when I first performed the adjustment procedure outlined in the '68 FSM, the vertical rod connecting the bellcrank to the transmission has been bent pretty substantially. At the time I couldn't understand how that rod got bent, since it is well protected by the engine and firewall.

With these bends, I was unable to follow the adjustment procedure because the rod wasn't long enough. So I straitened the rod the best I could. I was then able to follow the procedure because the rod was now straighter and therefore, longer. Hooray for me.

In retrospect, what a fool I was! At this point in time, I hadn't driven the car yet. I was just going through the the entire car, changing all the fluids and filters and making sure everything was honky dory. The linkage adjustment check was just another step in this process.

In my defense, at this time I didn't know the trans was a '71 vintage, but since I didn't understand the importance of this linkage and how critical in the operation of the transmission, I just went ahead and 'fixed' the linkage without even knowing if it needed fixing at all!!!!!

If anyone here knows the linkage adjustment procedure for a '71 TF, could you please share it with me. I don't know if I might be onto something, or if I'm on a wild goose chase.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

I think I can help you through my friend because he knows the linkage procedure for a '71 TF. Just keep in touch in me. I will contact him first. :D

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »

[color=#ffff00 size=7]WELCOME![/color]
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

tiresmokindad

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 09:43:48 AM »

Quote from: knickick
Quote from: Uncle Hulka
With reference to my 68 Sport Fury, I have been thinking about my transmissions problem (rpm runaway at 1-2 & 2-3 shifts) and have a question.

I have adjusted the throttle linkage as outlined in the 1968 Factory Service Manual...BUT my transmission was built in 1971. I learned here that in 1971, they introduced a part throttle kickdown feature to the torqueflite. Now I am wondering if this change in transmission design required a different linkage adjustment procedure than the one for the previous design.

As I started to consider this possibility, I am reminded that when I first performed the adjustment procedure outlined in the '68 FSM, the vertical rod connecting the bellcrank to the transmission has been bent pretty substantially. At the time I couldn't understand how that rod got bent, since it is well protected by the engine and firewall.

With these bends, I was unable to follow the adjustment procedure because the rod wasn't long enough. So I straitened the rod the best I could. I was then able to follow the procedure because the rod was now straighter and therefore, longer. Hooray for me.

In retrospect, what a fool I was! At this point in time, I hadn't driven the car yet. I was just going through the the entire car, changing all the fluids and filters and making sure everything was honky dory. The linkage adjustment check was just another step in this process.

In my defense, at this time I didn't know the trans was a '71 vintage, but since I didn't understand the importance of this linkage and how critical in the operation of the transmission, I just went ahead and 'fixed' the linkage without even knowing if it needed fixing at all!!!!!

If anyone here knows the linkage adjustment procedure for a '71 TF, could you please share it with me. I don't know if I might be onto something, or if I'm on a wild goose chase.

Thanks in advance for any and all help!

any one else needs help just post here or pm me

bowk bernardo

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 08:38:22 PM »

Quote from: CBarge
read this;

Thanks CBarge. I gained ideas when I am reading it. I am thinking how to pull the crank. hmm. 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 08:49:48 PM »

[color=#ffff00 size=7]WELCOME![/color]
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC