MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: It's been a year and a half.  (Read 315 times)

Bill

• View Profile
It's been a year and a half.
« on: August 19, 2010, 04:11:50 PM »

But the Monaco is finally scheduled to be picked up Sunday.  It'll be nice to finally get some wrench time in.  I'm excited to see it and a little worried sonce it's been outside te whole time.    My father in law had it up and running the other day when he called me..  No one on the other end just a running 440 was nice to hear the sound again.    So I narrowed down the immediate needs, tires since they're splitting supoposedly, brakes for obvious reasons, transmission the front pump doesn't keep fluid.  After that the rest of the suspension.  It's gotta be safe before I work on the rest of it.   

Anyone have experience with these old Budd brakes?  I 've rebuilt a Budd caliper once, but that was 20 years ago.  I don't even know if I'd trust NOS seals for these things.

Yeah I'm getting nervy, I'd like to be able to drive it to Carlisle in the next couple of years.  It won't be anywhere near being even remotely ready for a show but if I can drive it there I'll be estatic.

Lea I haven't forgotten about you.  When the thing arrives the very first thing that happens is that CB antenna comes out, if you still need it.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »

Kewl!
It is great to hear from you-regardless.
I thought you dropped off the edge of the earth.
As for rebuiling the calipers,try calling the John Stuart Power Brake Company;
http://www.johnstuartpowerbrake.com/Automotive.page?CategoryID=84&CurrentPage=1&ItemID=339

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 11:41:20 AM »

Well the driver called and he's two days early... not enough time to get the rear brakes bled now.  I guess he'll be winching the thing up.  :)

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 06:17:16 PM »

With the cost of rebuilding the stock bud system, and the cost of the special budd only lower ball joints, I would seriously consider upgrading to the 69-72 or the coveted 73 C-body disc brake set-up.

Years ago when I restored my 68 coronet convertible, it was a bendix 4 piston disc brake car, and by the time I was done I had close to $2K into the braking system....

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2010, 03:22:38 AM »

And of course, I'll be in Aurora the week after next
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2010, 04:53:39 AM »

Oh don't tell me that....  He couldn't get to the car last night and as far as I know he hasn't picked it up yet...  I can pull the plug and throw some cash your way....

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2010, 05:29:27 AM »

My very first thing though is finding tires that will fit.  If I remember correctly it has 15 inch wheels on it since it's a disc brake car.  Any one have a starting point converting from the old numbers to the new metric numbers?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2010, 10:07:07 AM »

Leaburn does.

I'll have a full wagon this time.  I'm leaving for Oregon Monday to get my 62 New Yorker.  It's about time.  I've owned it for 7 years
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2010, 12:15:49 PM »

Quote from: czervika
My very first thing though is finding tires that will fit.  If I remember correctly it has 15 inch wheels on it since it's a disc brake car.  Any one have a starting point converting from the old numbers to the new metric numbers?

here's a chart
http://tireguides.com/print_friendly2.asp?printaction=tiretips&ttc=details&ttcid=5
annuder;
http://tireguides.com/print_friendly2.asp?printaction=tiretips&ttc=details&ttcid=6
But I will save you the hassle..............
Budd disc brake factory 15"wheels are 6 inches wide,and a suitable size would be 22575R15.
I know you are in a hurry and not much time,but if you can score a set of M body (Diplomat,5TH Ave,Gran Fury) 15X7 wheels,2357015 would be the best size to go with.
They will still accept your factory disc brake wheel covers,too!
(Dippy wheels shown here with disc brake wheel covers)
Hope this helps

1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2010, 12:25:40 PM »

Oh no no hurry, I just want to have some decent rubber pulling in and out of the garage.  It's going on the trailer with split plys..  I just need to know what to look for when I drop the wheels off for new skins after it gets here.

Also I'll be looking for a wider rear wheel.  I think I've  found a reputable company that makes factory lok alike wheels in different widths but I won't know how wide I need to go for a year or so I think.  I've got the wife convinced to doing the period correct dog dish hubcaps.  so we'll see.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2010, 01:32:06 PM »

In the rear you can go 15X8  with a 4.5" backspacing and use a 2756015 tire.
Stockton and Wheel Vintques make brand new plain jane steel wheel to accept your dog dishes for the Sherriff
The two other sizes I mentioned are good for the front,on the 15X7 wheels.
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2010, 01:54:28 PM »

Uggg  I just got the pre trip pics...  I have work to do..  I guess a wind storm too the old cover and driver door molding with it.  My redkneck inlaws secured the rest with racing tape... ohhh boy.  

And it looks like the passenger side fender in front of the wheel took a nice hit.  Asked what happened and I was told their neighbor tried to help them swap out a spare tire tire...  Used the bumper jack on the front fender..  where is that forehead slap smiley?  So I now have a nice dent  to work out and chrome trim to replace...

OHMMMMMMMMMM lamalamalamalama.

Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave.

Bill

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 02:15:07 PM »

Almost how we left it, other than some unintended modifications...

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC