MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Booster on 66' T&C  (Read 3723 times)

John B.

• View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« on: August 05, 2010, 05:51:26 PM »

Hi guys; I'm knee deep in the middle of converting my Budd discs to 73 spindles rotors etc. I was lookin at an earlier thread where C-Barge talks about Boosters. Question, is the Midland- Ross booster used on the Budd system still available? My 66'T&C had Budds & cruise control, which makes for a tight fit. Secondly is that M-R booster a dual diaphragm? Most of the single diaphragm Boosters I can find are only rated for drum brakes. Oddly enough thats what was on the car (single diaphragm) when I bought it, and the owner said the brakes performed poorly. thanks, John.

Brian

• View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 08:44:25 PM »

I know on the other C-body board Ross (Jazzandmoparguy) has done this upgrade and knows all the in's and outs of the earlier boosters and cruise control.

I believe you will need a Bendix booster, must be the proper one, not the "Should work for your application" unit.  And then you will need a right hand exit MC, so the lines exit on the engine side of the master cylinder, not the fender side, if that makes sense.  Then everything will clear your factory cruise set-up.

Here is a pic of the booster your need...

And the link to it for sale...

http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/product1459.html

And the MC.....this is the style you will need but with the brake line ports on the other side.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 03:13:00 AM »

I happen to have one of those boosters rebuilt.  Needs a check valve.  Willing to let it go pretty cheap
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

John B.

• View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 01:11:17 PM »

Hi Brian; Thanks for the info & pic's," I've been round the Mulberry bush" with NAPA here, I think the booster coming is finally the right one! No listings for a 66' with disc brakes! I guess cause they had just come out that year. Thanks for the offer on the Booster Polaraco, but with all this trial & error fitting, it makes sense to be able to return them, if they don't fit! Just a quick update on the Wagon, Brian ,I'm getting the Torqueflite gone thru, and then we drop in the 413. Hopefully will have on the road by the end of August!  John.

Snotty

• View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 02:49:17 PM »

I swapped the drums in my '70 Newport for disks and, against much offered advice, kept the drum power booster.  I've had no problems.  I even did a panic stop TODAY - no problem and no loss of brake power.

If your original booster is working I would not worry about swapping it.

This is my opinion.
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2010, 02:59:42 PM »

I have yet to find out what the difference is between the boosters.  Is the same deal as ball joints for disc and drum brakes?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Brian

• View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 03:58:02 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
I have yet to find out what the difference is between the boosters.  Is the same deal as ball joints for disc and drum brakes?

Drum brake boosters are a single diaphragm, and disc brake boosters are a dual diaphragm.  Both produce power to the push rod, but the dual diaphragm produce more power then the single.  Think of it like a block and tackle set-up, having the rope go over one or more pulleys makes it easier to lift said item.  Same type of principle with the single vs dual diaphragm boosters.

A drum booster will work, and stop your car, BUT in certain situations it "may" not have the "power" to stop those rotors from turning as well as the dual diaphragm booster would.

I'd rather know I have more power then needed for braking, then to rely on a booster that may, or may not, stop my vehicle when the emergency arises.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Jacques

• View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 02:01:42 AM »

Brian, that depends on the year/model I guess. My ex 73 Imperial had both standard disc brakes and a dual diaphragm booster...

ex-Mopars 1967 Chrysler Newport Custom Coupe, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 2dr hardtop, 1973 Imperial LeBaron 4dr Hardtop, 1971 Plymouth Sport Fury 2 door hardtop

Ken

• View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 05:59:47 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
I happen to have one of those boosters rebuilt.  Needs a check valve.  Willing to let it go pretty cheap

Oh fearless leader?  Do tell!

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

John B.

• View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 06:09:53 PM »

Hey Guys; The T&C had a single diaphragm booster, and it was not original. The person who sold me the car, said the brakes were an ongoing issue,  which they never sorted out. I plan too use the wagon too haul my travel trailer occasionally! so I dont want to have to carry a boat anchor, to heave out the window! One other thing I learned, is the Lower Ball Joint assy's are only available through "Rare Parts" in Cali.  John

Brian

• View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 09:06:34 PM »

If your converting to 73 disc brakes, with spindles and all, you shouldn't have to buy the Bud disc brake ball joints.  You can order the regular drum/disc brake lower BJ's for 65-73 C-bodies.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

John B.

• View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 05:30:01 AM »

Brian; yes, I'm using the 73' spindles, but I'm removing the Budd set-up. Which includes a complete ball joint swap, upper & lower. I want to run new parts, from the get go!! Even the lowers for the 73 are not readily available, at least not in Canada!

Brian

• View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 07:41:12 AM »

Quote from: lebaron413
Brian; yes, I'm using the 73' spindles, but I'm removing the Budd set-up. Which includes a complete ball joint swap, upper & lower. I want to run new parts, from the get go!! Even the lowers for the 73 are not readily available, at least not in Canada!

That is one of the things I like about living so close to the Canada/USA border, I can get my stuff shipped to my US address then walk, or drive, across and pick them up.  Saves tons of money on additional shipping charges and duties.

But if your BJ's are coming from Cali anyway would it not have been cheaper to buy a rebuild kit from either PST or Just Suspension?  I know several guys have stated that the cost of the BJ's alone were worth almost what the complete rebuild kit was worth.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Ken

• View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 01:50:17 PM »

You don't HAVE to buy the lower ball joints from Rare Parts, if you can find them somewhere else.  They are the same as the drum brake lower ball joints ('65-'73), which  is one of the reasons the swap to the '73 only 1 piece discs works from an economic stand point.

http://www.egge.com/site/?d=48&dt=1&SubCategoryId=&make=CHRYSLER&model=NEW+YORKER&year=1972&rpp=10

I'll bet these are a little cheaper than Rare Parts by an order of magnitude!

Moesy2010-08-10 18:56:52
'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

John B.

• View Profile
Power Booster on 66' T&C
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 03:23:43 PM »

Hi Moesy; well this may suprise you, $104.65 ea! from Rare Parts. One side was damaged by someone who beat me to the donor car, Pick N Pull wrecking yard. all in all, not a bad  price . they also re-engineer all their components, for longer life than OEM.

Hey Brian;  How about me shipping you the ball joints, so I can pick them up from you or have you put them "on the Dog" to me.  John.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC