MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Miss  (Read 1966 times)

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Miss
« on: August 04, 2010, 03:39:44 AM »

I'm still running the points dizzy to a Mallory Hyfire ( for points) and a Crane PS92 coil.

It accelerates great and idles well but when I'm going down the road it feels like the engine is surging and maybe even misfiring ( I can feel movement of the engine in the gas pedal).. it shows 15 in on the vacuum gauge driving down the road which is normal for this engine.

The engine is a 361, M-1 dual plane intake with a Carter AFB, 383 Magnum cam.

I was wondering if this might be a points issue since it has been 5 years since, 8000 miles since I replaced them or a fuel issue.

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Miss
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 03:53:39 AM »

I went out and checked the dizzy... the shaft can move up and down quite a bit.. I wondering if maybe I'm getting spark scatter or it's just not contacting the terminals very well.. I have heard that you can put a collar on the shaft to stop the movement but I think it is just worn out.

There is zero wear on the points ( which i expected since I put in the Mallory Box which stops the 12 volts from going through the points)

The rotor shows no wear but the terminals on the cap look like they are wore slightly..

I'm wondering if it might be time to put in a new dizzy since this one is 45 years old and has 113 000 miles on it..

Jason

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Miss
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:38:58 AM »

Quote from: 1965Windsor361
I'm wondering if it might be time to put in a new dizzy since this one is 45 years old and has 113 000 miles on it..

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Miss
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 07:53:10 AM »

How old is the one in your New Yorker and what is the mileage?

Jason

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Miss
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 07:58:20 AM »

I see you put in a rebuilt engine so my question doesn't apply...

Jason

Guests

Miss
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 03:15:24 PM »

The movement up and down is normal, you want to check the wear going sideways. Take it to the point where you check the point gap, then push the shaft away from and pull towards the points to see if they change. A couple thousandths is one thing, to the point that they close completely is another. At this point, yes, bushings can be replaced in the housing. Next thing to look at is the carb itself to make sure it isn't going lean a tiny bit, or that the float is set right on that little grey area where it leans just before the float needle allows more fuel into the bowl. By strange coincidence, it could also be flooding by the float going too high and excess fumes/fuel enters the overflow vent and makes the surge go rich for a second or so before the level drops to proper level, so something to check. Does the vacuum make any kind of tiny stutter when you get this feeling at cruise? It would be real quick and might be half an inch of vacuum if it is the carb being real close borderline out of tune.

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Miss
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 03:55:28 PM »

This is the inside of the cap. It looks like there is a lot of build up on the posts.. Time for a new cap.. anyone suggest a replacement.. I was told the best thing is to get an aftermarket cap as they are closer to the original that the auto parts replacements

The cam is looking worn.. should there be a point on each lobe or is it
smooth like a camshaft? This is starting to look round

Here is the Carb.. it was completely rebuilt 5 years ago and around 10 000 miles..

Just an underhood shot of my engine bay

When the stock coil died I used this one I had from my Big Block Aspen that is now gone

My ignition is a Mallory Hyfire 1. Ever since I went to this system my mileage went up and I have no wear on the points.

Here is the vacuum gauge I have been using... the trusty old Sun Gauge

Jason

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Miss
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 01:28:30 PM »

Well this is weird.. This morning I drove the car to my wife's pizzeria and it drove without any issues.. actually ran very well...

Then tonight I drive it home and it starts to miss a bit on the way home.. WTF?

Jason

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Miss
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 03:29:09 PM »

First of all, I see no lube on the point cam.  That not being there can wear down the point cam.  That is something to look at.  You can still get point lube, it comes in a small tube about the size of a travel tooth paste.

2nd.  Check what Dana told you.

8000 miles with no lube is enough to throw out the points.  I would check the dwell and adjust as needed.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Miss
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 03:42:47 PM »

Should I replace the cam?

The shaft is in great shape.. I'm wondering if i should just get the Petronix Conversion kit and be rid of the points...

It's nice to be working again.. I can finally get caught up on the old girls maintenance..she turned 45 at in the middle of June ...

Jason

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Miss
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 04:05:29 PM »

[/QUOTE]

Nah.  Just reset them and lub it up.  I've used red wheel bearing grease in a pinch.  Just a thin coat so not to sling it around.  You don't use them enough.

That could be the probablt cause of the miss

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Miss
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 04:08:32 PM »

It wouldn't hurt to through in a fresh set of points.. with no grease I bet the part that rids on the cam probably saw some wear and closed up the gap and screwed up the dwell..

Jason

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Miss
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 04:10:34 PM »

[/QUOTE]

That's what I am thinking.  But you should be OK. . .  Inspect it and decide from there.  Best plan I can think of

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
Miss
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 04:14:43 PM »

I hope to find a dwell meter at the big car show in town this weekend..  either that I ditch it and go electronic...

I hate setting points and trying to get the points on the big part of the cam lobe.. pain the rear.. I have thought about making an under the hood push switch for the starter so i can be under the hood instead of running in and out of the car to bump the starter.

Jason

Guests

Miss
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 07:42:01 PM »

I get it close, then reach in and turn the engine over by hand by pushing on the fan belt and turning the fan blade slowly (that is, as long as it isn't a clutch flan).  If you are happy with points, keep them. If you want to upgrade to Pertronics or Mallory Unilite (fits within the stock housing and cap, nothing outside except three wires, so really easy to install), and if the shaft isn't worn, both these don't have anything to do with the cam, so wear there isn't an issue.  Even a Q tip with a dab the size of a lady bug will work for the cam lube, it is just to make the plastic and metal slick to each other.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC