MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: super cooling system flush?  (Read 1005 times)

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
super cooling system flush?
« on: July 12, 2010, 10:40:31 AM »

Has anyone found anything that really cleans out (as you drive) the cooling system? My 69 Fury still runs a bit hot and pukes fluid out the overflow pipe on real hot days. I ran with prestone super cooling flush last summer for several weeks and then followed it up with a couple squirts of Dawn/water a couple of times but it's really no better. I removed the thermostat again to run for the remainder of the summer so now would be a good time to try something really caustic in there if I can...I hear CLR may work? Not sure how much I'd have to put in there though. That stuff isn't sold by the gallon if ya know what I mean...

Bob
Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:51:38 AM »

Believe it or not, DAWN dish deteregent.  You put it in, drive the car for a while.  It won't foam because of the antifreeze.  I put a small amount in every change.  Keeps all the crap suspended.  If you are real dirty, put it in, drive, flush in a few weeks, do it again and again until the water starts coming clear.  You will need to add some coolant at each change to keep the foam down.

Straight from my rad guy
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 11:28:54 AM »

That's the funniest thing I have ever heard.  

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 11:45:08 AM »

It is Huh. . . .  Hate to tell ya chump, It Works!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 11:56:01 AM »

I'll save my comeback comments for outside the forum.  

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 03:32:44 PM »

Now that sounds great.... I just bought a Costco bottle of Dawn....

1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Robert Rottman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 04:54:36 PM »

You must have missed it Steve...I mentioned that I did the Dawn thing last summer after running with the Prestone Super flush for a few weeks (without a thermostat in place). I have a feeling that my radiator has built up deposits in it which reduce the flow...I was asking to see if anyone has used anything Caustic (as in a nasty chemical) you know...running it for a time to see if it would brake up the deposits. I'm trying to avoid a costly recore. My radiator looks like it's brand new (from the outside)...works good when it's cool out...just seems to be on the edge of overheating during this hot weather.  It's only a little 18"X18" radiator and there's nothing aftermarket made for it otherwise I'd order one online. I was hoping to upgrade to a 22" but can't find them either. The size of the opening in the rad support is 22"...It could just be that the radiator is so small? I have no idea why MA Mopar put such little rads in  to cool 318's. Anyone else seen this or is it possible that someone that owned the car before me put a 6 cyl rad in this car? It's a 69 Fury III 318 auto with 18" X 18" rad.
_popupControl();

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me. John 14:6

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 05:06:48 PM »

Then some Murietic acid will clean it up in there.  You might have solder bloom on the ends of the fins. 

Get a quart of meuriatic at Home cheapo and dilute it 50/50 with water.  It's only like 10% now.  Take the rad out and pour it in.  flush it around and dump.  Take a peak at the tubes through the top and bottom hose and see if they opened up.  Keep doing it, but don't let it lay in one spot too long.

Flush with the Dawn to neutralize the acid.

Make sure you do it in a well ventelated area.  Put a fan next to you is a smart idea.  Don't do this near anything that can get hurt by the fumes and wear gloves. 

I just did this to get some rust out of the Polaraco Rad.  You're right, I did miss it.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 05:09:17 PM »

I made a flusher one time with some pipe fittings and a ball valve.  You fill the rad and blow the water out with a blast of air.  The hydraulics clear the tubes.  You must leave one of the hoses off when you blast it to prevent damage.

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »

22" would be optimum.
Call Jack Forkey since he is parting out a 69 F3 and had piles of spare parts including a rad core support,and radiator that will need recoring.
315-783-0540
1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »

I have a 22" radiator laying around in my garage (it's in my way all the time) that I want to depart with. It came out of my '68 Newport and was re-cored about 40k ago, it just wasn't big enough for the Phoenix heat (I went up to a 26" rad) I'll sell it for all of $25 plus shipping!

krautmaster2010-07-13 00:19:33

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 06:10:32 AM »

That's a 3 row. . . .  There you go Bob.  Recent recores don't have the solder bloom problems that they had years ago.

Guests

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 08:49:07 PM »

Do yourself a second favor and get rid of that pop-off cap and get a 16psi pressure cap and overflow container so you can catch the fluid and have it recycle from heating to cooling, preventing the loss and having to top her off all the time.

I have done the muriatic acid and Dawn dishwashing liquid, too, which both work, only takes about an ounce of acid in the radiator, flush after a week, then seal the system up to the pressure cap and catch can.

Additionally, another friend over here in San Diego had a Falcon with a 289 that started overheating, flushing wasn't working, so he took some bendable mesh screen, bent it into a cup shape and placed it into his lower radiator hose. When he would flush the engine once a week (maybe two hours driving time), he would drop this lower hose and he had two cups of rust flakes that just wouldn't flush because they didn't get caught in anything but the bottom of the radiator and block. Little 289 was fine after all this.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 05:32:55 AM »

I was going to suggest the ounce and drive, but am being cautious.  Bob is apparently beyond the Dawn level

The cone is a good idea.  Are you talking screen mesh?

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2010, 08:16:39 AM »

Might be worth a professional power flush if nothing else works...

my 71 F3 has a 26" rad in it for some reason, no towing package so don't know why.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC