MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Heater / Defroster Issue - 1965 300 w/ Factory Air  (Read 3206 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Heater / Defroster Issue - 1965 300 w/ Factory Air
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2010, 08:29:28 PM »

The Bypass.  It doesn't add up.  Based on what I was reading in my manual, which is a original 65 Chrysler FSM, the blower should work in all speeds without the bypass.  Try over riding it.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2010, 09:26:21 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
I'me very Analog Dan.  I have to see one, then I am sure I can figure it out.  But I've only had time to glance the drawings.   I have 6 weeks worth of work to do in 2 1/2.

I understand that.  My thing is drawing,  If I can figure it out enough to redraw it my way, then I've got it.

and I'll see your "6 weeks of work", and raise you a "we just found out Jen has to move out of her apartment into the other building in the next 2 weeks."
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2010, 01:01:53 AM »

Scott, here is the  specific instructions for checking to see if & how the bypass switch is operating.  

Set your meter to "Ohms" it will probably have several resistance ranges, but it shouldn't matter which one you use for this.

With the probes not touching, take note of what kind of reading you get.  It may indicate 0.L  (no load) like mine, or something else, but if you see that again when checking, it will mean the switch is open, so there's no continuity between the two wires.

With the probes touching, it should read zero.  When the switch closes, this should be the reading you get.  (depending on the age/condition of the switch, wires, and plugs there may be a tiny bit of resisitance, so you may see a number a little bigger than zero.

Pull the plastic L shaped plug off the resistor block, and insert one of the probes into each of the two female connectors.

Once that is hooked up, with the engine running, try each of the push buttons (including OFF) and let us know what meter readings you see.  In each case, you'll want to wait a few seconds, to make sure the vacuum actuators have completely operated.

------------------------------------

When you have time, take a look at this thread I put together on wiring in general and meters, it might help to sort some of this out.
http://www.moparfins.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3601
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2010, 05:02:50 AM »

I will perform the test as outlined.  Thanks for the step by step Dan, it really helps.  Electrical isn't my strong suit but I'm getting a crash course with this car!  I agree with you guys.  I don't think the culprit is the by pass switch.  The A/C FSM states:

Then again, if the by-pass switch is still thinking it is in A/C mode and it is sending current telling the system to increase the speed of the blower but it is actually in Heater mode, it could overload the resistor.  Is this correct or am I making stuff up?
============================================================
"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2010, 09:14:50 AM »

I performed the tests in all speeds, in all modes with the car running and here are the results:

I'm not sure if this is normal or not.
"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2010, 06:32:05 PM »

You should only see about an inch or two drop on the vacuum.  So those readings are pretty good.  However, 17 is on the low side of the scale.  At idle it should be more like 18 or 19.  It may be the new engine or the timing is off a tad.

I noticed that switch is on the fresh air door.  Might I suggest you try that resistor from the L and see what happens.  The wiring is the same buy no bypass.   Bypassing the bypass was a good call.  We narrowed it down.

Just out of curiosity, what is the production date on your car?

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »

The build date of my car is Sept. '64.  What exactly did we narrow down?  I'm confused.

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2010, 09:10:54 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
You should only see about an inch or two drop on the vacuum.  So those readings are pretty good.  However, 17 is on the low side of the scale.  At idle it should be more like 18 or 19.  It may be the new engine or the timing is off a tad.

I've got a little bigger cam in it so maybe that's it.

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2010, 02:07:42 AM »

Sorry, not a lot of time this morning, and I need to think some more on this.

1.  We have determined that the bypass switch is working correctly.

2.  Did you plug the L shaped connector back on, and if so, did the problem return?

3.  On mine, when the wiring is plugged into the resistor block, there is a small gap where you can see the base of the male connectors.  Is yours like that as well?  (this allows the meter probes to make contact while everything is still hooked up)
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 18, 2010, 05:42:00 AM »

I'm sure glad you guys know what you are talking about because I am lost.  How hard should the heater blow?

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 18, 2010, 02:09:52 PM »

Well guys, it's working now.  I plugged the leads from the by-pass switch back into the resistor and it works.  My cousin was here today charging the A/C and he pointed something out I was completely missing.  THE HEATER DOESN'T BLOW OUT OF THE DASH VENTS!!!!   This whole time it was probably working and I just assumed it should blow out the dash vents like a new car.  I really feel like a retard.  Sorry to have put you guys through the ringer on this one.  The heat is blowing...out of the floor where it should.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 18, 2010, 05:48:05 PM »

Not the first time we've been through this.  But you know what?  We all learned somethig and that's what this place is all about.  Even if we did have educated guesses.  While there was some guessing, they were educated.  Unlike some other forums who just guess.

Good Job to all

Now.  Did you get the ducts working?

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 18, 2010, 07:05:49 PM »

I believe everything is working as it should.  Again, sorry for wasting everyone's time.  Thanks for helping out.  Next time I'll be sure to know what I'm talking about.

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 18, 2010, 10:59:17 PM »

What waste?

You learned something
I learned something
Heck, even Steve probably learned something.  ;)

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2010, 06:24:27 AM »

Quote from: rexus31
I believe everything is working as it should.  Again, sorry for wasting everyone's time.  Thanks for helping out.  Next time I'll be sure to know what I'm talking about.

POST JUMPER!   
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC