MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Heater / Defroster Issue - 1965 300 w/ Factory Air  (Read 2757 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Heater / Defroster Issue - 1965 300 w/ Factory Air
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 06:08:51 PM »

Multimeter Scott

check all the terminals.  I want to try to narrow it down to a particular circuit.  I sure hope it's not the harness.  I am assuming you had a new dash harness made too. ?
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2010, 06:14:41 PM »

No, my existing harness was refurbished by my buddy who is a tech at M&H.  He said he checked all the harnesses and they all looked good.  He just cleaned them up, checked all the splices and connectors and re-taped them.  FWIW, here's the wiring diagram out the 1965 A/C FSM.

============================================================
"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2010, 07:19:56 PM »

MMMMM   I see where you got C7 from.  That's a different page than I was looking at.  My book is an original from 65.  I'll shoot a shot of the page in the morning.  In the mean time, I'll look in the AC section and compare.  My info came from the general electrical section.  Shows all the wiring at once.

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2010, 07:26:09 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
MMMMM   I see where you got C7 from.  That's a different page than I was looking at.  My book is an original from 65.  I'll shoot a shot of the page in the morning.  In the mean time, I'll look in the AC section and compare.  My info came from the general electrical section.  Shows all the wiring at once.

My wiring matches the diagram I posted which came from the supplemental 1965 Chrysler Air Conditioning Service Manual.  The A/C section in the complete FSM is not very good which is probably why they came out with the supplemental manual specific to A/C.  
rexus312010-07-14 00:26:58
"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 10:58:19 PM »

I'm guessing that the electrical diagram in the AC section of the FSM is actual for the Imperials.  The main dash wiring diagram for Imps doesn't show any AC option, and the wire number/color charts match up. 

The supplimental diagram that Scott has is different than what they show in the main Chrysler dash wiring diagram and makes more sense.

I actually think they screwed up the resistor wiring for both AC and Non AC cars in the FSM.  That'll give you a warm fuzzy feeling won't it!
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 03:58:53 AM »

Scott, on your drawn diagram you show C4a connected in two places, and no C8.  I'm guessing this is just a typo, but wanted to veryify that.

After a little more review of the supliment diagram, I at least now understand how it is supposed to work, mostly.

I'm curious about the bypass switch.  Do we have any idea where that is located, or activated?  On both of my cars that function is part of the vacuum switch itself.  Possibly it is the case on yours as well, and they simply drew it separately on the schematic?  or is it a separate component somewhere?

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 05:11:01 AM »

I think the Bypass Switch is located somewhere on the A/C plenum but I could be wrong.  If it was that, wouldn't it also affect the speed of the blower under A/C mode?

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 05:19:26 AM »

Quote from: D Cluley
Scott, on your drawn diagram you show C4a connected in two places, and no C8.  I'm guessing this is just a typo, but wanted to veryify that.

After a little more review of the supliment diagram, I at least now understand how it is supposed to work, mostly.

I'm curious about the bypass switch.  Do we have any idea where that is located, or activated?  On both of my cars that function is part of the vacuum switch itself.  Possibly it is the case on yours as well, and they simply drew it separately on the schematic?  or is it a separate component somewhere?

I have verified the C4A you have circled in my diagram is actually C8 on my car so it matches up with the digram.  I am curious about this area in the diagram where they show a C4A also going to that side of the right angle connector where the C8 is.  My harness only has the C8 wire.  Am I reading the diagram wrong?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 07:14:23 AM »

Quote from: rexus31
I think the Bypass Switch is located somewhere on the A/C plenum but I could be wrong.  If it was that, wouldn't it also affect the speed of the blower under A/C mode?

I would think so also.  Based on what we are looking at. . .So that's where the C8 is! 

This is a mess now.

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 06:11:46 PM »

Quote from: rexus31

The straight line connection between the C4A plug and the C8 plug is inside the resistor block, so you won't see it unless you are looking at the backside of that piece.  (the part that's inside the heater box.)
---------------------------------
It finally occurred to me to check the parts book, and yes the bypass switch is a separate piece that seems to be somewhere over by the blower itself.

My Dart has AC and on that car the fan runs faster in the AC or Vent settings than it does in Heat or Defrost.  (It's still low, med, high, but each of them is a little faster with the AC on)

My '65 (Non AC) runs the fan faster on Defrost and Max Heat than it does on Heat.

In order to have two speed ranges like that, there is an extra resistor for the slower one, that is bypassed in the faster one.  In both of my cars this is accomplished by extra switches that are part of the vacuum switch, but the '65 with AC uses that separate bypass switch.

---------------------------------

My assumption based on this is that the fan is supposed to run faster on the AC settings than Heat or Defrost. and that the bypass switch is controled either by vacuum from the vacuum switch, or mechanically by one of the dampers that is controlled by the vacuum switch.

----------------------------------

Scott, when you've experienced the blower problem has the engine been running or shut off?

With the blower set to low, does it sound like it changes speeds at all if you switch from Max AC, to AC, to Heat, to Defrost?  (both with the engine on and off)
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 06:52:31 PM »

Scott, when you've experienced the blower problem has the engine been running or shut off?

I have tried it with both the car running and off; same result.  I really believe this is an electrical issue.  Some time ago while trying to tackle this very issue, I tore the dash apart and swapped out the blower switch.  All speeds in all modes worked for about 4-5 cycles of the switch.  Then the heater stopped working.  I plugged in the old switch and the same thing happened.  It worked for a brief time then stopped.  I know for a fact it isn't the blower switch.  When I removed my original Blower Resistor, the coils on the back were discolored and I do recall smelling an "electrical" smell the first time I ran the heater after I installed it and had everything connected.  I thought it was just the newness of the restored unit burning off.  Obviously I was wrong.  I'm fairly certain I connected the electrical leads on the vacuum switch properly but you never know.  I suppose I could check that.  I'm pretty sure the vacuum hoses are connected properly as well.  When I turn the Heater Off I can hear the fresh air door close.  I guess I really don't need a Heater. After all, I live in Southern California.  

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 09:20:44 PM »

I agree that it sounds electrical.

My current thoughts:

1. Something that works briefly then stops, sounds like a connection that loosens up when it gets hot.

2. It is somewhere that dissables the higher speeds but leaves low working.

3. It is some part of the circuit that is used by Heat/Defrost, but not AC.

4.  The only thing that I can see that could change the circuit between the modes is the "bypass switch", so presumably that is only activated in one of the modes (probably AC)

--------------------

I'm still curious what controls the bypass switch, do you see anything in the AC supplement that discusses that?

--------------------

I'm working on a clearer version of the wiring diagram, and will post that later, that may help us all see what it's supposed to be doing.

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 05:11:14 AM »

I agree that it sounds electrical.

My current thoughts:

1. Something that works briefly then stops, sounds like a connection that loosens up when it gets hot.

2. It is somewhere that dissables the higher speeds but leaves low working.

3. It is some part of the circuit that is used by Heat/Defrost, but not AC.

4.  The only thing that I can see that could change the circuit between the modes is the "bypass switch", so presumably that is only activated in one of the modes (probably AC)

--------------------

I'm still curious what controls the bypass switch, do you see anything in the AC supplement that discusses that?

--------------------

I'm working on a clearer version of the wiring diagram, and will post that later, that may help us all see what it's supposed to be doing.

rexus312010-07-15 10:18:57

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 05:57:02 AM »

I just completely dismantled that 65 a  month ago.  I even pulled that actuator out.  and saved it.  I didn't have that bypass in there.  I know where you are talking about.  It's all the way to the right when the fresh air duct is. (???)

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 07:53:55 AM »

I think there may have been a running change in the model year.  A friend of mine has 3 '65 300L's.  I asked him to bring me one of his blower motor resistors so I could swap mine out to see if that was my issue.  The first one he brought me was a different design resistor and a different part number.  The second one he brought me was the same as my resistor, same part number too.  Maybe they changed the design mid way through the model year.  Do you have access to your resistor?  Mine is p/n 2521153.  The first one my friend brought me was a 248 part number.  We thought that one would have been an earlier p/n but my car was built very early in the model year (Sept. '64) so you would think my car would have an earlier p/n.  Weird.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC