MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Heater / Defroster Issue - 1965 300 w/ Factory Air  (Read 2752 times)

Scott

• View Profile
Heater / Defroster Issue - 1965 300 w/ Factory Air
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:46:35 PM »

The Blower Motor will not blow above Low when the Heater or Defroster is selected. Max Cool and Fr Cool both blow at all speeds. I know it is not the Blower Motor Switch because if it was faulty the speeds wouldn't vary regardless of what was selected. I swapped out the Blower Motor Resistor today with a known working unit and the problem still exists. I installed a new A/C and Heater Switch before I restored the car and it worked fine. Does anybody have an idea what it could be? 

rexus312010-07-11 22:48:57
============================================================
"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 05:35:18 AM »

Could be the sequence of the siring on the vacuum switch.  I have the manual out for the 65 now, so I can look it up later.  In the mean time, check the wiring on the switch for it being in the proper place.  The other place to check is the resistor.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 05:52:11 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Could be the sequence of the siring on the vacuum switch.  I have the manual out for the 65 now, so I can look it up later.  In the mean time, check the wiring on the switch for it being in the proper place.  The other place to check is the resistor.

Cool, thanks.  I'm hoping it is as simple as having a wire plugged in in the wrong place.
"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 05:54:28 AM »

That would have been the first place to look in a case likr that. . .  It's probably at the resistor, but there are 2 wires you could have messed up on the switch too.

Hey!  It happens.  I do that all the time.

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 06:06:10 AM »

The weird thing is it will blow on High for about 2 seconds then it backs off to Low.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 08:13:41 AM »

You didn't say that. . .  Now I don't know.  It works OK in A/C Mode, but not heater or def???? 
Interesting

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 01:14:34 PM »

Exactly.  All speeds work in A/C mode but not in Heater or Defrost mode.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 01:49:15 PM »

I need to study the wiring.  PM me your cell phone #

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 01:30:05 AM »

I've been looking at the FSM, and my head hurts!

In the electrical section there is the main dash wiring diagram.  This has the setup for Non-A/C cars (like mine)  Then there is an inset in the corner with the controls & wiring for an A/C car.
Finally back in the A/C section there is another small diagram with the controls & wiring.

As far as I can tell there is an error in the Non-A/C diagram.  The wires are all correct, but one of the internal connections on the resistor block is swapped. 

The two different diagrams for A/C cars do not quite match each other, and I'm suspicious thatl neither one matches what actually exists in a '65 Chrysler!!!!

---------------------------
2 questions Scott:

How many speeds does your fan have?

Can you easily get a picture or description of the wires that plug into the resistor block?  I'm pretty sure its in the same general area as mine.  Which is on the front of the heater box, just up under the dash a little right of center.
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 04:19:40 AM »

Quote from: D Cluley
2 questions Scott:

How many speeds does your fan have?

I have a three speed motor; Low, Medium, High.  I will try to get a photo of the resistor and wires later today.

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 05:21:22 AM »

The area under the dash is too tight to get a good pic.  Below is a diagram I made of the connections and wiring of the Blower Motor Resistor.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 06:12:38 AM »

Sorry Scott, I didn't get a chance to look.  By the time I got inside I went right to bed.

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 06:53:05 AM »

Sorry Scott, I didn't get a chance to look.  By the time I got inside I went right to bed.[/QUOTE]

No worries.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 05:20:36 PM »

Scott

The only thing I see is

I show C7 as C8 in the drawing.

Based on what I am seeing, it has to work either way.  It can't be a bad resistor.

However, now that I have looked at the drawing, I am suspicious of the vacuum switch.  It could be it is making a poor connection when it's in the heater defrost mode.  The contacts are at the opposite end of the switch in relation to the buttons.

You said you put in a new vacuum switch.  Is that the only thing new in the circuit?  The other question is, are you sure the dampers are not closing and fooling you?

I suggest you take voltage readings at all points on the resistor in the AC mode and then again in Heat/Def.  Lets see what is changing

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 06:06:40 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Scott

The only thing I see is

I show C7 as C8 in the drawing.

Based on what I am seeing, it has to work either way.  It can't be a bad resistor.

However, now that I have looked at the drawing, I am suspicious of the vacuum switch.  It could be it is making a poor connection when it's in the heater defrost mode.  The contacts are at the opposite end of the switch in relation to the buttons.

You said you put in a new vacuum switch.  Is that the only thing new in the circuit?  The other question is, are you sure the dampers are not closing and fooling you?

The vacuum switch, speed switch and resistor are all verified as working used units.  I will also check the connections at the back of the vacuum switch.  Maybe one of them came loose.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC