MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 69 steering wheel  (Read 1059 times)

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
69 steering wheel
« on: June 16, 2010, 06:12:54 PM »

Ok, I admit it... I am an idiot.

When I picked up my '69 Monaco Wagon, it had a Grant(I think) steering wheel. It was too small, and I could not see the speedometer through it. Since the original wheel came with the car, I went and put it on. It was nice, since I could see the speedometer, and it really just felt right.

Thing is, when I put it on, I neglected to verify that the wheels were pointing strait forward.

No problem... I bought a steering wheel puller.

Now for the idiot part... Instead of putting the hooks under the base of the steering wheel, I hooked them under the metal part of the hub of the wheel, where the horn hooks up. Having done that, when I went to turn the puller, I bent the disk that makes elecrical contact for the horn to work. Go ahead.... "Bob... You're an idiot...."

So, then I put the hooks under the base of the wheel, and got it off, so I could put the Grant back on, until I can find a wheel where I can salvage the horn switch....

Now for the question... is there any help out there for me? I don't mean the idiot part... I used a hammer for that... I mean, does anyone have a steering wheel that I could buy, which has a horn switch that will work with my wheel?

Thanks,

Bob
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
69 steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 06:24:43 PM »

That's the wrong puller to start with.  The one you are supposed to use is similar to the one used to take the damper pully off the engine.  It's supposed to bolt into the wheel hub under the horn button.

Do you know what it looks like?  I have a bunch of different ones here. . . .somewhere. . .
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
69 steering wheel
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 06:30:08 PM »

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
69 steering wheel
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 06:44:41 PM »

Yep, I got the wrong one, alright... but once I hooked it up right, it worked fine.

I will take some pics of the switch once my phone charges up... It won't flash until the battery charges mire.
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
69 steering wheel
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 08:18:54 PM »

You don't need anything that elaborate.  Just the cross bar and two bolts is all that's needed.

Rich

• View Profile
69 steering wheel
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 10:01:32 PM »

I just give the wheel a good strong tug while rocking it left to right- sometimes they don't give up so easy, so I put the nut back on enough to cover the threads then give it a good whack with a big plastic hammer - they come right off then with the pulling/rocking - but then again I'm a little bit bigger than your average black bear.
krautmaster2010-06-17 03:06:18

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
69 steering wheel
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 04:15:41 AM »

Ok, here are a couple of shots of the horn switch...

Thanks for your time,

Bob
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
69 steering wheel
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 06:46:01 AM »

Quote from: krautmaster
I just give the wheel a good strong tug while rocking it left to right- sometimes they don't give up so easy, so I put the nut back on enough to cover the threads then give it a good whack with a big plastic hammer - they come right off then with the pulling/rocking - but then again I'm a little bit bigger than your average black bear.

Yeah and crack the wheel doing it

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
69 steering wheel
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 06:46:56 AM »

You need the black piece.  tons of them around.  I think I have several.  Did you try new?POLARACO2010-06-17 11:47:16

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
69 steering wheel
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 07:24:24 AM »

I looked, but I was looking for the wheel... Is there a date range and part name that I can look for? I will get started, and see what pops up. Presumeably, if I find the black piece, then I can straiten the metal part out manually...
Thank you,

Bob
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Rich

• View Profile
69 steering wheel
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 07:50:11 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Quote from: krautmaster

Is that why I end up with handfuls of plastic chunks?
Actually, I've never hurt one (yet) - I'm not talking about yanking it all over the place, just nice steady pressure with a slight rocking motion. A puller would be the ideal way to go, I just don't have any that small - now I have an excuse to go tool shopping!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
69 steering wheel
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 08:25:29 AM »

I have a 5 point I use as a damper puller too.  That works, but the bolts are 5/16 SAE.  Maybe 3/8. . .I forget now, have to look.

I do this stuff so automatically, I just grab the tools and do the job in one stroke.

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
69 steering wheel
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 08:48:46 AM »

I found what I believe to be the right part. It's part # 2822126, and I ordered one from EBay for $25, so if it's wrong, it won't break me... I think it's called a clockspring, or just a horn switch...
Anyway.. thank you.
Bob
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC