MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Heat Riser...  (Read 1241 times)

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
Heat Riser...
« on: June 15, 2010, 09:59:24 AM »

I read something about the heat riser in someone else's post, so I wanted to see if mine is causing me some difficulties...

The counterweight, or whatever it is, for the heat riser, seems to move freely, but it does not seem to move at all with the revving of the engine, or as it gets warmer. It would appear that the thermostat and the heat riser itself are no longer connected.

So the question is, does this present a problem, and what's the best remedy?

The car runs a bit rough, as if there is a miss, or something, so I will be looking at ignition parts first, but there is definitely a tick tick tick sort of sound, which will also have me seeing if I have a leak between the exhaust manifold and the exhaust pipe. I just wonder if this heat riser can be a problem too....

Thanks, as always...

Bob
schaefman2010-06-15 15:03:38
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Heat Riser...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 01:34:08 PM »

No, if's ands, nor but's about it.
Gotta pull that manifold. 
Good luck.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Heat Riser...
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 03:40:31 PM »

That means the coil spring is discinnected on the back of the manifold.  Good luck finding one.  I just gave my last one away to a good friend.

The Heat riser will default to open so it will not be an issue.  As Stan said, you need to take the manifold off if you can find the spring.  Any mopar spring will work, can be from an ABE. 
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
Heat Riser...
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 04:52:07 PM »

If you don't plan on driving your car in a Chicago winter you will not need that heat riser.  Pull the manifold off and take it to a guy with a welder.  Cut the rod out and weld the holes shut.
It's green here in Chico!!

Guests

Heat Riser...
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 08:45:55 PM »

In the meantime, you can figure out which direction is open, just wire it open. I think you can use a small wire and attach it to the spring pin without it looking bad, until you can take it off and get the butterfly plate removed inside and brazed up.

Bob Schaefer

• View Profile
Heat Riser...
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 05:49:00 AM »

Ok, so now for the part where Bob learns something....

Does that heat riser only assist in warming up the car?

I won't be driving the wagon during the Chicago Winter until I have all rust issues resolved, since anyone that has driven here, knows that the salt is a killer...

So, assuming I am able to ensure that this stays open, whether by cutting it out, and having the holes filled, or by using a wire to hold it... what are the implications once it gets colder? Will it just take longer to warm up, or will there be other problems?

I don't seem to recall this being too bad on my first wagon, since we had problems with it sticking shut, and we got it open, and wired it with a coat hanger.  Problem is, that was 25 years ago, so I may be foggy, and that engine had more of my blood and sweat put into it...

Thanks,

Bob
1969 Dodge Monaco Wagon
383 4bbl, Dual Exhaust
Electronic Ingnition

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Heat Riser...
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:24:40 AM »

If it's stuck closed, the car will lack poer and bog.

Yes it is designed to push hot gasses through the intake to open the choke sooner.  But the delay of the choke opening is only a minute or two.  In my book, it was never a big deal as long as it was open.  The choke opens soon enough.

They stick closed when the car sits allot.

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
Heat Riser...
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 07:34:31 PM »

Mine had worn the backside hole in the manifold, so it leaked a bit.  Pulled the butterfly out, and used a big stainless bolt/washers and some hi-temp copper sealant to plug the holes.  That has worked for 6 or 7 years now.

I have driven mine in below freezing temps, and the only difference I could see was that the motor needed to idle for a minute or so to warm up before driving.  Normal cruising weather, shouldn't be any problem at all.
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Guests

Heat Riser...
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 08:08:22 PM »

Never had a problem by removing the butterfly and allowing the engine to run cleaner exhaust through the exhaust system. It will prevent the crossover from carboning up in the intake manifold faster, a problem with small block 340 and 360s mostly.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Heat Riser...
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 08:19:37 PM »

318's were the biggest culperates for that

Rich

• View Profile
Heat Riser...
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 09:55:10 PM »

I cut mine out, drilled out the steel bushings that the shaft rode in, drilled out and tapped the holes and put in some bolts with lock washers:

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Heat Riser...
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 06:52:30 AM »

that works
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC