MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Weird Alternator Gremlin - 1965 Chrysler 300  (Read 2136 times)

Ken

• View Profile
Weird Alternator Gremlin - 1965 Chrysler 300
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 01:18:42 PM »

Just a guess, but it sounds like something (stator most likely) has grounded in the alternator.  Get a newer alternator with the 2 field wires and make a lead to ground one of them and be done with it.

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »

I am leaning towards what Mosey is saying at this point.

Read the voltage off the back of the Alternator, on and off.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 02:35:12 PM »

Quote from: Moesy
   Get a newer alternator with the 2 field wires and make a lead to ground one of them and be done with it.

They are both the same alternator Ken.  It could be a intermittant rectifier too.  Or!  Here's a thoyght, the 2nd pole is grounded poorly on the alternator. . .

If you are reading the same voltage's as you work your way back to the alternator, then the wiring is good.

It could be a flakey regulater too.

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2010, 08:52:10 AM »

Okay guys, I don't know what to do.  With the key in the "On" position and the single blue wire disconnected from the Ballast Resistor, I checked the voltages and all were 11.98-12.0 volts at the blue wire(s) going to the Voltage Regulator, both screw in terminals at the Bulkhead, Starter Relay, and at the black wire at the Alternator.  I also removed the Alternator and mounting braket to make sure the mounting surfaces were all clean.  I even swapped out the Voltage Regulator.  I checked the engine ground and that is solid.  I checked the Bulkhead under the dash as well as the conections at the Alternator Gauge.  No dice.  The alternator is still not charging!  I know if I take the Alternator to the parts store for a test it will pass.  Been there, done that.  What am I missing?
============================================================
"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2010, 09:20:16 AM »

I gotta ask you, because I went JUST through this with Polaraco.  Granted my charging system is controlled by the ECM.

Does it charge when the car is cold, then stops when hot?  OR!  It would delay coming up from an idle when it was working?

Look at the field windings through the vents.  See if you see any chared coils.  If you have been across the whole system, then it has to be the alternator.   I had a week old rebuilt start doing that on Polaraco.  It was delayed, would only slightly inch up until I was going 1500 RPM, them BLAM!  14.5 volts.  When I looked in the alternator, I saw some chared windings.  I replaced it and problems gone.

Maybe, unless you have a defective wire in the harness.  The only way to do that is to clip your meter on the ends and wiggle the harness around.  I've seen that before with a new harness.  The wire manufacturer had a blip in the copper.  You'll need to do a continuity between the regulator and alternator on the green wire.

POLARACO2010-06-26 14:23:04

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2010, 09:30:05 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
I gotta ask you, because I went JUST through this with Polaraco.  Granted my charging system is controlled by the ECM.

Does it charge when the car is cold, then stops when hot?  OR!  It would delay coming up from an idle when it was working?

Look at the field windings through the vents.  See if you see any chared coils.  If you have been across the whole system, then it has to be the alternator.   I had a week old rebuilt start doing that on Polaraco.  It was delayed, would only slightly inch up until I was going 1500 RPM, them BLAM!  14.5 volts.  When I looked in the alternator, I saw some chared windings.  I replaced it and problems gone.

Maybe, unless you have a defective wire in the harness.  The only way to do that is to clip your meter on the ends and wiggle the harness around.  I've seen that before with a new harness.  The wire manufacturer had a blip in the copper.  You'll need to do a continuity between the regulator and alternator on the green wire.

Nothing looks charred and there is no intermitten charging.  With the car running I see 11.99-12.0 volts at the battery and at the back of the Alternator.  Judging my the location of the Alternator Gauge needle I don't think the voltage is increasing with RPM.  How would I do a continuity test on the Field Wire?  To test, couldn't I just disconnect the Field Wire at the Alternator and the Voltage Regulator and run an external wire to both?
"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2010, 09:47:05 AM »

I believe it is the Field Wire in my new Bill Evans harness!  I disconnected the Field Wire from both the Voltage Regulator and the Alternator and ran an external wire to both and now it's charging.  WTF????  Oh well, looks like I found the issue; I hope.  I guess I will take the harness apart and find exactly where the issue lies.

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 12:38:54 PM »

This gets better and better.  I took my harness to a buddy who is a tech at M&H.  Obviously, we had no continuity between the Voltage Regulator connector and the Alternator conector.  He took the black plastic housing off the Alternator connector and about 3/4 of the wire jacket was crimped with only about 1/4 of the actual wire making a connection.  He put a new connector on and now its got continuity.  I haven't installed it on the car yet but it should work.  What are the odds?

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 01:29:10 PM »

I just reinstalled the harness and everything is working as it should.  Thanks to everyone that helped me out with this issue.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2010, 06:04:17 PM »

I'd be yellin my head off. . .  You should talk to the people you got the harness from.  Or was that them???

That was a good idea, since everything else was exhausted. . .   There was nothing else!  I never discounted the harness, but I didn't think you would believe me.  Ofcourse, I wasn't there either.

Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2010, 07:08:06 PM »

I'd be yellin my head off. . .  You should talk to the people you got the harness from.  Or was that them???

I got the harness from Bill Evans.  At least it's fixed and I can move on.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 07:12:36 PM »

Another one for the Arkives

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2010, 07:13:22 PM »

Glad you found it.  Intermittent electrical problems are the worst!!

I've had mine almost 8 years now, and when stuff like this comes up, I'm still learning things.

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2010, 07:49:49 PM »

It's easier for me to be standing there looking at it.  As you know, auto electrics are a sleeper for me.  A BSEE doesn't mean squat in these cases.  Ask me to diagnose a 5000 volt motor problem.  That's when the engineering comes in.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2010, 07:52:42 PM »

Guys. . .this is just  a general statement.

Don't be afraid of auto electrics.  It's allot of common sense on these cars.  The newer ones with total computer control are the same crap.  You just have the computer controlling it.  If you have a wiring diagram, you should be able to isolate a problem easily. 

Most people look at a problem like Rex's and run like Jack Rabbits.  My hats off to him for being so tenatious.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC