MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Radiator Questions  (Read 801 times)

Alan

• View Profile
Radiator Questions
« on: June 10, 2010, 03:15:48 AM »

As part of my ongoing restoration I want to replace or recore my radiator. Is there any advantage to going with aluminum? Copper deteriorates after a while but aluminum doesn't. The cost is about the same for a new aluminum and a recore. If I go with the aluminum is there a cooling advantage to go with a 3 core instead of 2?

I'm also having a problem with the size. All the websites for replacement radiators don't show my size. Neither my core or overall size matches what they offer. My existing radiator is a 2 row with core size 21 1/2 X 18 1/4. The only 2 sizes I see offered are 25 3/8, or 26 1/4  X 17 1/2. The existing radiator is for a 383 2bbl.
Al

Marc

• View Profile
Radiator Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 06:01:52 AM »

My experience is that aluminum cools better. We had a lot of problems with our forklift over heating and replaced the copper radiator with an aluminum one from the local speed shop. We had to make a few brackets and fenagle some hoses, but have had no over heating problems since. Same experience with my dodge dakota.
All Kinds of Mopar Parts

Alan

• View Profile
Radiator Questions
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2010, 06:18:41 AM »

Thanks for the input Moores auto.
Don't forget about the trim pictures you were going to send me (Alan Floyd)
Al

Alan

• View Profile
Radiator Questions
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2010, 12:38:23 PM »

OK, so after spending half a day on the computer, I now know Mopar used a 22" & 25" radiator, BUT no one seems to make a copper or aluminum replacement in the 22" size. Just my luck! Sooo it looks like I'll have to recore.
Al

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Radiator Questions
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 01:04:15 PM »

Your best bet is ti take it to a rad shop and have it recored.  Have them put in a 3 row tube arrey and you will be very happy.  It is a really good Idea to knock out the freeze plugs and flush it out.  Probably needs plugs anyway, unless the engine is new.

Every rad I have had done I have always oversized.  Engines run great and you don't get that hot starting problem anywhere near as often
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

summer scheifer

• View Profile
Radiator Questions
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:42:19 AM »

Quote from: 67Newport
As part of my ongoing restoration I want to replace or recore my radiator. Is there any advantage to going with aluminum? Copper deteriorates after a while but aluminum doesn't. The cost is about the same for a new aluminum and a recore. If I go with the aluminum is there a cooling advantage to go with a 3 core instead of 2?

hi. having trouble with my radiator :( i want to replace it but im scared i dont know how to do it. hope you could help me.

Every accomplishment starts with the decision to try

Alan

• View Profile
Radiator Questions
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 03:22:52 AM »

Al

Brian

• View Profile
Radiator Questions
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 08:39:21 AM »

I just got one of the Champion aluminum radiators for my 48 Desoto.  Looks really nice, and a lot of the older cars are going to these radiators.  With the cost of a re-core being more then the new aluminum radiator it's a bit if a no brainer...if your not concerned with 100% original appearance.

As for the replacement....

- make sure your cooling system is not hot, or at operating temperature.
-Look for a small drain valve..T-shaped..on the bottom of the rad...open adn drain coolant into a bucket.
-Now remove your upper and lower rad hoses.
-if your car has a shroud you may need to remove the fan first to get the shroud off.
-now unbolt the radiator from your rad/core support and carefully remove it from the car.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC