MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I don't know why I am like this...  (Read 352 times)

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
I don't know why I am like this...
« on: June 06, 2010, 12:06:12 PM »

I have ad on moparts looking for a 4 speed.  Basically, I'll looking for a steal. The more I can squeeze out of them, the better.

I got an email from Tampa.  Has everything I'm looking for.  No price.  Just a #.
I hold off a week less he think I'm too anxious.  He signed his email "Mopar Charlie".  I googled it and apparently he's still one of the old skool goodguys.  I call him.

He says he wanted to give me a lead on a kid he's helping out.  He takes my # and later "the kid" calls me.  "Corey" is green. VERY green.  He had no idea of what to charge and basically I could have ripped him off.

I couldn't do it.  We had a nice long chat and I wish this kid was mine.  I told him, not to sell it yet.  Told him to discuss it with Mopar Charlie, and in WIW topics in forums.  Then to call me.

This is why I'll never get ahead.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2010, 01:01:01 PM »

Yeah  But you sleep at night

Get Mopar Charlie and the kid to join us. . .After the deal ofcouse
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2010, 03:24:23 PM »

Yeah but your doing what's right, and you can sleep at night knowing you didn't take advantage of someone.

I was selling a car years ago, and I was dealing with a fellow 2000miles away.  I told the guy he had first dibs on the car, then a local guy came and offered me more $$$ and couldn't believe I wouldn't sell him the car.  I told him I'm a man of my word and he just looked at me questioningly.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 04:21:42 PM »

If it was a substantial amount I would have gracefully bowed away from the other guy, or at least give him an opportunity to counter offer.

Gracefully. .  Like an elephant doing a Balarina

Guests

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 08:33:59 PM »

I don't like doing the rip-off thing either. I help cashiers count change, give back extra (all the stupid things), but I do sleep at night and try making the other person know there are some other honest people in the world around them.

At the same time Stan, you could have made him a fair offer you were willing to pay without feeling guilty about possibly saving a little (not a lot, but a little) bit of money on a deal.

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:21:45 PM »

Quote from: dana44
I don't like doing the rip-off thing either. I help cashiers count change, give back extra (all the stupid things), but I do sleep at night and try making the other person know there are some other honest people in the world around them.

Got a point there.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 02:56:13 AM »

Quote from: thrashingcows
Quote from: dana44

"a fair offer you were willing to pay "

'willing' and 'pay' is not something I ever use in the same sentence.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 06:56:20 AM »

That's because his last name is PolStien

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 07:56:14 AM »

"a fair offer you were willing to pay "

[/QUOTE]

Aint that the truth.....

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Guests

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 07:22:50 PM »

Back when I bought my TR4, it had a blown head gasket. Guy wanted $400 for it, I said sure. I asked and got permission to redo the head on the curb in front of his house, we were both Navy and he knew my predicament and was willing to save me some money by not having to tow it to the base to work on. Found out the head was cracked all over the place from overheating, so off to a salvage yard for another rebuilt head (this was back in 87). Told the guy the head was bad and he wanted to give me the car for the $200 I had paid him so far, based on the fact the head cost $200 to replace. I said no, how about we split what I owe you and give you $100 for allowing me to work on her right here at the house, and he said sure. The thing that really puts a kicker on the whole thing, given he was going to take an even greater loss than he started with, he gave me a factory shop manual and the last 10years or so of history and work done to the car. She was rough as far as rubber rattles go, but no rust, $1500 worth of carbs and manifolds, and a 200rwhp dyno slip to boot. Now all I have to do is put her all back together after tearing her apart several years ago to restore (then going to Japan for a year, Guam for 17months, five deployments in between, 7months in Gitmo, and now finally rebuilding the house and garage before I get to work on her again). She was driven two years without a problem, then dismantled in 1994, been like that ever since.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC