MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Weirdo transmission I.D.  (Read 1188 times)

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Weirdo transmission I.D.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2010, 08:04:18 AM »

Sonds very reasonable.
http://www.theamcforum.com/forum/amc-4-speed_topic13810.html
Commando12010-06-03 06:49:30

Snotty

• View Profile
Weirdo transmission I.D.
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2010, 10:11:36 AM »

Sorry, but you're both wrong.  The linkage mount on an AMC T-10 is close to the transmission body, not on the rear of the tail shaft.  I just spent 4 years putting an AMC together.  Don't make me send pictures to prove it.

T-10s were used by Ford, AMC, Chevy, and other GM products.  You can't use a GM specific T-10 in an AMC because of where the linkage mount is - on the end of the tail shaft.  To do so you would need to cut a new hole in your trans tunnel.  That is why I could not use the aluminum Super T-10 I originally purchased - not to mention the wrong bolt pattern on the trans body itself. 

Also, the mounts do not have aluminum plates on them (or whatever that crap is on the end of that trans).  They have three mounting holes and a "triangle" support.

Finally, AMC-specific T-10s have AM stamped on the body.  Do you have pictures showing that?

I did not realize this was to be some sort of test: I thought you were asking serious queries as to what this transmission fits?
It's green here in Chico!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Weirdo transmission I.D.
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2010, 12:10:51 PM »

Snotty, I was serious.  I could have pick that up for chump change.  But, I wasn't buying it without knowing it's application  w/o reaearching further. 
So asked the Best & the Brightest.  Where?  HERE!  Not at Moparts.  Not at "we_know_more_than_anybody_concerning_Mopars.com.
I came here.
Commando12010-06-03 06:47:58

Brian Peddigrew

• View Profile
Weirdo transmission I.D.
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2010, 05:11:54 PM »

Snotty, I believe the shifter pad location depended on the body style kinda like a Mopar. I'm sure the T-10 I had out of the Hornet had the shifter pad on the rear like that. I definitely remember the coarse 10 spline input too. 

Snotty

• View Profile
Weirdo transmission I.D.
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2010, 06:23:12 PM »

Quote from: Commando1
Snotty, I was serious.  I could have pick that up for chump change.  But, I wasn't buying it without knowing it's application  w/o reaearching further. 
So asked the Best & the Brightest.  Where?  HERE!  Not at Moparts.  Not at "we_know_more_than_anybody_concerning_Mopars.com.
I came here.

Fair enough.  With the obvious fabricating on the end of the tailshaft, I would recommend avoiding this particular trans.

Snotty

• View Profile
Weirdo transmission I.D.
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2010, 06:30:09 PM »

Quote from: 2C1J
Snotty, I believe the shifter pad location depended on the body style kinda like a Mopar. I'm sure the T-10 I had out of the Hornet had the shifter pad on the rear like that. I definitely remember the coarse 10 spline input too. 

I know Mopar had two different mounting locations on some if the A833s, but that was not the case with AMC.  All T-10s used for AMC were identical except for the input shaft bearing housing.  That was changed in 1970.  The body and tail shaft remained the same.

I learned this when we tried to use a '71-later bellhousing on our '68 AMC T-10. 

I am including a picture of our T-10 from when it was out last month.  Notice the differences in this transmission and the one in Stan's picture.

See the linkage mounting point, as well as the speedo-cable housing.  The latter is not on that other transmission at all.  It is in the same location on all BW Transmissions used by AMC.  This was why we did not need to change the cable when we switched from a T-14 to the T-10.

Guests

Weirdo transmission I.D.
« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2010, 10:04:52 PM »

Stan, you may not be able to use it in your car, but for an AMC, if the price is right, the T-10 is better than a M-21 or M-22 any day of the week for an AMC resale part (sometimes identification is the key to a good sale, right?).

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Weirdo transmission I.D.
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2010, 01:55:27 AM »

There are guys out there that can make anything work with anything.
I'm not one of those guys.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC