MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Negative ground or Positive Ground??  (Read 932 times)

John Wood

• View Profile
Negative ground or Positive Ground??
« on: May 28, 2010, 03:04:24 PM »

I just purchased a 1962 Chrysler Saratoga and it has a generator instead of an alternator. I don't know if it is supposed to be positive ground or negative. I looked at another 62 Saratoga yesterday and it was wired positive ground but like mine it seems to be charging but  the amp meter was reading discharge also I acquired a wiring diagram but it shows an alternator not a generator. It is for a 62 Chrysler 300, Newport or New Yorker. Any ideas???
John Wood

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2010, 03:10:49 PM »

WELCOME
I own two 62's.  and have owned several more.

It's a negitive ground.  35 Amp alternator was standard.  Single Field

Saratoga in 62.  I thought that name dies in 61 up there.  Do you know what the wheel base is on that?  Just curious if it's on a Newport/300 Frame or a New Yorker frame

Man I could write a book on those plucked chickens.  I love 'em
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

John Wood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2010, 04:17:26 PM »

I don't know what the wheel base is on it but will try to find out. I do know that the tail lights, bumper rear chrome are shared with Newport New Yorker, 300 and the dodge 880 62 models. My car was made in Windsor, Canada. What's confusing me is the car I looked at yesterday was also made in Windsor and also had a generator and both seem original,but as I said his battery was positive ground and mine appears to be negative, going off the battery terminals on the vehicle. They both have the same regulator. I was told to remove the regulator and look for positive or negative markings, there are none on mine. The car seems to run ok other than showing it charging in reverse. Just frightened of doing any damage. Could this be converted to an alternator?  According to what I've been able to find out the 1962 Canadian Saratoga was equivalent to the Chrysler 300 Sport in the U.S. they both had the model # SC2-M. I know 62 was the last year for the slanted head lights in Canada.
John Wood

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2010, 04:42:35 PM »

62 was the last year for slanted headlights and those wonderful dome dashboards in the US too.

Alternators started in 1961 Stateside.  Are you sure you weren't looking at a 61?  The 61 had fins, but the front looked the same.  I never heard of a 62 having a generator, even in Canada.  Positive ground is unusual also.  Chrysler did away with the positive ground in 1956 when they switched over to 12 Volt systems.  All alternator systems are negitive ground.

As far as it charging backwards. . .  Is it possible the ammeter is wired backwards?
Put a volt meter on the battery and turn on the lights.  With it running, rev the engine slightly and see if the voltage goes up.  If it does, then something is wired backwards.

The dash lights run at 400 Volts, 200 HZ.  Stay away from them when the lights are on.  You'll know about it. . . .  That's called an Electroluminessant system.  If they don't work, or die after a few minutes, the controller is bad.  Very Common.  That box, if the car has not been messed with, is located on the side bulkhead, behind the head light switch.  And what about those turn signals!  LOL  The boxes can be rebuilt

Here's some info on the 62's.  It's part of our main site.  The Newport/300 was based on the 122 wheel base.

http://www.moparfins.com/Chrysler/62/1962_Chrysler_Specifications.htm

One of my 62's can be seen here.  I bought this from a member of Moparfins.  When was that Scott?  2004?  http://www.moparfins.com/Projects/62/Steve_62_New_Yorker_Black/Steve_62_NY_Black.htm

And pictures of my 300H when I first got it.  It's all painted now. . .but needs assembly
POLARACO2010-05-28 21:44:03

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 09:23:26 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO

One of my 62's can be seen here.  I bought this from a member of Moparfins.  When was that Scott?  2004? 

October, 2003.
It's green here in Chico!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 12:21:36 PM »

Quote from: Snotty
Quote from: POLARACO

One of my 62's can be seen here.  I bought this from a member of Moparfins.  When was that Scott?  2004? 

And you two are still talking?

Alan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 01:49:21 PM »

Has the generator been disconnected? I seem to remember that if a generator has been removed, that it has to have the circuit polarized so it knows whether it is a positive or negative ground and  for it to charge.

If I remember correctly, to polarize the generator you have to quickly short between the battery (b or bat) and generator (g or gen) lugs on the voltage regulator to energize the circuit.
Al

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 04:55:48 PM »

That's correct, but he has an alternator

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 04:56:37 PM »

October 2003.  I've sat in it twice

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 06:03:57 PM »

And since you bought it, I sat in it once!  If I go to Oregon before you I can tie your record!   
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 06:19:20 PM »

how true

End of August
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC