MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paint question  (Read 374 times)

Andy

Paint question
« on: May 26, 2010, 07:45:58 AM »

The glove compartment door and ashtray door on the 64 have some scratches in them so I deciced to paint them using rattle can black. I'm "experimenting" with the ash tray door first, cause it's smaller and easier to fix if I screw up! =80
  I used a red scuff pad to smooth out the scratches and rough up the surface so the paint has something to stick to. I wiped it down with a pre paint prep and let it sit for about 30 minutes to make sure it was completely dry. I gave it one "medium" wet coat, waited about 15 - 20 minutes and gave it a second coat. Let it dry over night. Looked at it today and it's not the same "shiny" finish so thought I'd clear coat it.

I can see/feel small bits of grit/dust in the paint. Do I wet sand these out, then clear coat, or clear coat then wet sand. I'll use 1500, 2000 and 3000 grit paper.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Paint question
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:36:14 AM »

Wet sand it with an 800 Grit and reshoot.

Humidity will dull the paint.  Paint it and bring it in the house.  The Humidity is lower.  Must be lacquar.  Use enamel.  You can spray enamel over lacquar, but not the other way around.  It will lift.  Enamel will give you a shinnier finish
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Andy

Paint question
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 09:42:44 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Wet sand it with an 800 Grit and reshoot.

Painted it in the basement where the humidity is always 50%. Keep a dehumidifier down there running all the time. My gun safe is down there and surely don't need any rust on them!

I'll give it another sanding and a respray and see what happens. Never looked at the can to see if it was laquor or enamel. Better look now!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC