MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon  (Read 1331 times)

Rob Roche

• View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« on: May 04, 2010, 06:59:12 PM »

Well, I though I had a thread going for the progress on my '62 Savoy Wagon....could only find the one for the '64 300 (which is dead in the water at the moment).

So, here goes

Made the most progress in the last few weeks. The engine now runs! Started it a few times while dribbling a bit of gas down the carb, so I knew it had spark and such. Got the grounding issues sorted out. Rigged up a temp fuel tank (lawnmower gas can) ran some line to the pump, primed the carb and cranked it. There's a youtube video I'll post the link to later (can't on this computer). She fired right up and settled into a nice steady idle. The old Holley carb had sat a loooong time without gas in it and it hasn't leaked a drop! Oil pressure was good. Cooling system wasn't connected so I shut it off after a minute or two.

Fast forward to today. Installed all the necessary hoses, put two bolts in the radiator to hold it against the support (it doesn't fit right, but will do until I find the right one). Filled it up and started the engine, turned the heater on and let the system burp itself until it was full, installed the rad cap and let it idle for about 20 minutes. Temp needle held steady right between "C" and "H" on the gage. NOTHING LEAKED!!!! Heater works great too! 

As  I now could let it run without worrying about over heating (due to no water in the block) I checked the trans fluid level....added two quarts, checked again. Now it read on the dipstick! Added a third and that topped it off. Put it in gear and the wheels moved! (it's up on jack stands). It seemed to shift okay through all gears up to 60 MPH indicated on the speedo. Reverse felt okay as well. No odd noises or leaks.

Now to sort out the brakes and find out what's in the gas tank (gage reads 1/4 tank...of something  )

Oh, and I found my '56 series California car plates and there's a '62 validation sticker on the rear! YOM here I come! (year of manufacture) They're DMV clear.

POLARACO2010-05-05 22:54:26
Rob
'74 Plymouth Voyager PB300
'67 Plymouth Valiant 100 4dr
'64 Chrysler 300

Rob Roche

• View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 04:33:39 PM »

Update for today...

My right foot got wet. The heater core is above the gas pedal  soooo I bypassed the heater for now.

Tinkered with the brakes, master cylinder leaks...all over the firewall as it's the o-ring around the pushrod that's leaking.

Left the windows down so all the water on the floorboards would dry quickly.....so of course I'm at work now and the wind is blowing!

Other than that, it's all good!
Rob
'64 Chrysler 300

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:55:02 PM »

I edited the links for you

FIX THAT MUFFLER!  LOL

Good Job.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 05:57:48 PM »

I didn't see the oil light come on when you turned on the key.  It's discharging!

Rob Roche

• View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 06:19:53 PM »

Um...yeah, your right! Guess a new Alt would be a good idea? The Voltage regulator is new.......well, 20 year old NOS from a 318 Barracuda  The battery hasn't gone flat (but I do disconnect it when I'm not there). When I connected the wires to the Alt, they all went where they looked like they should.....

The oil light.....hmmm. Pretty sure it was on then went out as soon as the engine caught. I'll chase down the wire and sender. Was gonna put a set of real gages in anyway, never was fond of idiot lights or gages that read in generalities.

Oh yeah....the battery is from the New Yorker, big 'ol honkin 413. Really spins that Slanty over!
Rob
'64 Chrysler 300

Rob Roche

• View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 06:23:27 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
I edited the links for you

FIX THAT MUFFLER!  LOL

Tanks fer fixin da linky's!

The exhaust manifold apparently has a different type of flange on it, the '62 head pipe won't bolt up to it all the way. The engine is from a '77 Asprin, the intake & exhaust manifolds are too. I was gonna let the muffler shop worry about making it fit, the whole system is rotten and needs to be replaced.
Rob
'64 Chrysler 300

Rob Roche

• View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 06:26:30 PM »

And I just realised that the vacuum advance on the dizzy isn't connected! Wondered where the loose vacuum line off the carb was supposed to go! 66gg1tnc2010-05-05 23:28:30
Rob
'64 Chrysler 300

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 06:48:10 PM »

Stick with me.  I'll whip you into shape.  LOL

Snotty

• View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 08:09:43 AM »

That's great Rob!

I've wonder why Chrysler Corp put the trans lock on the Plymouths and Dodges, but not the Chryslers?  I assume that Plymouth has an e-brake as well as the trans "park?"  '60-'62 Chryslers only had the brake and no park.

Anyone know why?
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 09:18:10 AM »

Probably because the Chrysler was getting a major face lift with the lever added, and the Plymouth and Dodge was not.  If you remember, the Dodge and Plyme shared the same dashboard

Rob Roche

• View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 02:36:19 PM »

Update for today....

Ran an air line down inside the fuel tank, blew air in and only a small amount of dust poofed back out the filler neck. Wiggled it around a bit and poked the end into the bottom of the tank. Pulled it back out and no gunk on the end. Hmmmm

Blew air through the fuel line from the fuel pump back to the tank to clear out what old gas was still in there. Put about 5 gallons of fresh gas in the tank along with a quart of Seafoam cleaner. Installed a new fuel filter on the inlet side of the fuel pump.

Crank,Crank,Crank, let it rest....crank, crank, and so on for a few minutes and it started! Ran it for about 20 minutes at idle and no hiccups. Gas gage now reads "empty" though, humph. Well at least the gas tank isn't leaking and clean gas appears to be comming through now so we'll see what happens. I have an electric fuel pump so I can suck the gas back out if needs be.

This weekend I'll tackle the master cylinder and brakes.....when I'm not sitting in front of the tube watching F1 (go Lotus! :) yeah, I know..... )
Rob
'64 Chrysler 300

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 04:51:32 PM »

The sending unit could be stuck.  May I suggest you knock out the sending unit and clean it up.  You can get a new sock for them. . .  And check to be sure the brass float hasn't rotted a hole in itself.  Since the tank is empty, or almost, run some of the gas out of it and give it a whack.  On the other hand, the Sea Foam may do all that for you.  You could throw a gal of Home Cheapo lacquor thinner down there too.  Just don't push the motor too hard until you add more gas.

Just some tricks from the olden days

Rob Roche

• View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 05:35:19 PM »

I gotta figure out how to get TO the sending unit. If I'm lucky, I can acsess it through the spare tire well (where the third row seat would be if it had one). Or....remove the side panel under the left rear 1/4 window...which is about 5 feet long and sunbaked plastic.
Getting into the spare tire well will also require getting the tailgate window down........it's electric. The ONLY option (besides the auto trans and radio) the car has. I have to remove the panel on the inside of the tailgate and see what the problem is. Hopefully, it's just a broken wire.....not a burnt out motor.

Yes, I have a manual. Unfortunatly, it's an original MOPAR manual and so dry rotted it's disintigrating! a new repop is on the "to buy" list.
Rob
'64 Chrysler 300

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 06:15:38 PM »

Damn. . .I forgot this is a wagon

You'll probably have to drop the tank.  It's solid steel in there

firedome

• View Profile
Rob's '62 Savoy Wagon
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 03:43:28 AM »

"Dodge and Plyme shared the same dashboard" ...

Actually for 62 they were quite different, the Dodge had a horizontal
speedo, the Plym's was circular, and the gauge layout was very
different, as was the overall shape of the instrument cowl... we had a
62 Dart 440 in the family.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC