MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Searching for my boyfriend  (Read 1903 times)

Jolanda

• View Profile
Searching for my boyfriend
« on: April 17, 2010, 05:49:16 AM »

Hello,
My boyfriend has a question. I told him that overhere on this forum a lot of smart people are hanging around. I hope one of you has a answer. He is looking for a new transmission-thingy.

Here is the question:
Can anybody tell me what these numbers are?

Tried to find something, but can't found it:

On the transmission housing : 2400066 2A

On the tale: 2464217-1 AAPM

Walk like a woman, talk like a man.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 08:14:16 AM »

Looks like casting numbers.  I have a book around here that may cover those. . .  I'll see if I can find it
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 10:48:32 AM »

"Searching for my boyfriend..."
Until I read the whole question, I was going to refer you to Craigslist...

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 01:40:04 PM »

Quote from: Commando1
"Searching for my boyfriend..."
Until I read the whole question, I was going to refer you to Craigslist...

Or his other girlfriends house.

Guests

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 09:30:46 PM »

OK, what is the transmission in, and what is the engine itself? Is it then an automatic or manual transmission? There are lots of applications and swaps for the transmissions, so casting and parts numbers sometimes don't help much, and then the question still remains, what is the actual problem?

Or is it something in the garage he is simply trying to sell?dana442010-04-18 02:33:39

Jolanda

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 09:46:28 PM »

Ok, here is my boyfriend. His other girlfriends are walking on 4 legs, so they don't know a lot about cars. Only that it is fun to bark at them......
I've already told him that he must make an account here on this forum instead on the b-body forum. Maybe now he is going to do that.

Here he is.....enjoy..... :)

Thanks already for the reactions.
I can buy this transmission, for my 1964 dodge 440.
I'm going to do an max wedge engine swap and I need a 727 pushbutton transmission.
I can buy this one with those casting numbers.
So my question is this transmission the one I need or can use?
Thx folks!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2010, 07:25:39 AM »

By description

It's an aluminum trans, cable shift, with a second cable for park.  In 1964 they still used the Ball and trunion U joint, so the trans would have a flat flange.  (I hope you can understand all this)

So you need a transmission from a 1963 or 64 Chrysler or Big Block.

You can use a 1965, which has a slide yoke tail shaft on it.  It's a 1 year only.

There is a cable to lever shift converter made by Imperial Industries which allows you to use any 727 trans

Jolanda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2010, 09:58:18 AM »

Hi boyfriend again..I quit understand all this, but what year is this transmission from then?
The guy who sells it says it's an 1964 727 for a pushbutton automatic, just as I need.
So is this correct?
Maybe also important to tell: I now have an smallblock pushbutton 727 in the car

Will register soon here.
Thx for the superb support!

Bingelke2010-04-18 15:02:17

Guests

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 01:29:29 PM »

There is a difference in bellhousing bolt patterns between the Max Wedge 426 and the small block transmission, so this tranny, if a small bolt pattern for the small block now, a different case for the MW later. The guts are the same, it is that front bolt pattern that isn't the same, that's all. Someone else will have to check the numbers, but the tailshaft end of the tranny, with the flange, means it is a flat piece or metal with bolt holes in it vice a shaft with teeth cut into it for a slip yoke. Kind of like a plunger and case of a needle body with grooves in it.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 01:37:07 PM »

Quote from: dana44
There is a difference in bellhousing bolt patterns between the Max Wedge 426 and the small block transmission, so this tranny, if a small bolt pattern for the small block now, a different case for the MW later. The guts are the same, it is that front bolt pattern that isn't the same, that's all. Someone else will have to check the numbers, but the tailshaft end of the tranny, with the flange, means it is a flat piece or metal with bolt holes in it vice a shaft with teeth cut into it for a slip yoke. Kind of like a plunger and case of a needle body with grooves in it.

Sheeesh Ed. . . He no understand Enlish that good.

Boyfriend

What Ed is saying, is what I said.  You need a BIG Block Transmission form a 63 or 64 Chrysler or Dodge.  The bolt up is different for the one you have.

I was assuming your car was modified.  That is why I mentioned the 65 Transmission

glen cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 05:47:08 PM »

Here's a picture of the output flange Steve was talking about
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

glen cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2010, 06:01:51 PM »

Here's a great article on rebuilding the early 727,but as was stated,...you CAN take all the internals from the small block case and swap them to the big block case and vice-versa. That trans part # is definately a 64' as it prescedes my 65' numbers. http://www.yetanotherdomain.org/64dodge/transmission/ Also here is an awesome link to the early 62'-65' models and plenty of great info. I know someone makes a conversion kit for the push button style vehicles. You can put an updated and easier to find later model 727 and still retain the push button mechanism which will now have a PARK. You will have to get a newer style driveshaft and have the length modified on this and also i recall the center section also has to be changed as the yoke is also different on the centersection if i recall properly. I had a 64' Sport Fury 383 i was planning on changing over,and it was many moons ago so,i'm going on memory of 30 years ago which ain't too good right about now. Here's the 62'-65' link.   http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/techstuff.html and home page http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/welcome.html I'm sure your boyfriend will wet his pants when he sees this web site!!!!

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2010, 07:14:23 PM »

That pushbutton conversion is made by Imperial Industries.

1964 was the last year for rear pumps too.  So since 1964, you can't flat tow the car long distances without taking the drive shaft out.

Guests

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2010, 07:25:21 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Quote from: dana44

Sheeesh Ed. . . He no understand Enlish that good.

Boyfriend

What Ed is saying, is what I said.  You need a BIG Block Transmission form a 63 or 64 Chrysler or Dodge.  The bolt up is different for the one you have.

Hey, this gets him to at least look at what his smart girlfriend is asking, might just get him to step up and ask some questions himself. IF, if by chance he has a cool project but needs some real Mopar fanatics over here which will be sure to make her little pushbutton Max Wedge one to remember.

Good pictures by the way guys, it will help in the identification of needed components. I just kind of fear we have a Phord or Chebby guy with little or no clue what he is getting himself into, but hey, we can fix that, except for the cost. Unless he has a 426 engine to start with, and not to scare girlfriend away from the project, but this is one of the semi-rare and expensive builds. If the cost is too great, well, where better to find out what would be a good substitute and just as much fun to boot? 

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2010, 10:50:39 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO

'65 has the rear pump too.   
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC