MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Visited my 68 Sport Fury Convertible Today...  (Read 722 times)

Clair Davis

• View Profile
Visited my 68 Sport Fury Convertible Today...
« on: April 11, 2010, 05:33:33 PM »

...First time I've sat in the driver seat in probably a year or more.  Something about having a 2-year-old in the house just makes time go away, and having the old car 60 miles away doesn't help, either.  In any event, today was a chance to look over the old girl, put this year's registration sticker in the windshield, and install a new battery.  With a new battery sitting there, it was just too tempting to not try and fire the old girl up.  It's been close to 3 years since she was fired up last - I was winterizing her when a freeze plug blew out, dumping my fresh antifreeze out the side of the block.
Well, the freeze plug is still blown out, but I figured I'd only run it for a little bit.  Quick once-over to pull the rat nests out of the heat risers - dang it!  Rat chewed through a spark plug wire!  Pulled one off the other 440 (thank goodness for spare parts).  Plug it in, dribble some stale gas in the AVS, hit the key....  LIFE!!
She doesn't idle worth a flip, which you'd expect for an old carb sitting for a couple years, but it sure is nice making that old 440 come to life.  Revs quick for a big engine, too.  Can't wait to get the car inspected and start making a few short trips to shake her down.
I love my Fury!
(Back to deep lurk mode...)
blah, blah, blah...

Guests

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 06:10:13 PM »

Nice.
My 68 Charger has been in storage since September 2006, I get to see her every couple months to make sure she is there. Last time I got to drive her was Christmas before last. Had the daughter with me, put gas in her, fired her up and idled for five minutes or so, check for more leaks. Daughter took the gas can to the Cruiser across the street, when a couple sailors drove by in a Dakota pickup and asked her if that was her dad's car, to which she was informed, "That thing sounds like a f***ing MONSTER." That reminds me, I think it is time to go see the city Mayor. I refuse to bribe the building department to try to get the permit to build the garage, time to put them on notice.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 07:48:33 PM »

CLAIR! Jeeze, what did they do, put you in Witness Protection?
Great to see you posting again! Keep it up!

It amazes me how old Mopars can lay there ready to go, just waiting for attention.....my 1966 300 was stuck in the rear of my property for at least 10 years

I did the same thing you did....a little gas dribbled into the original carb, a new battery and it not only fired, but settled into a nice idle. I ran it off of a gallon can hanging from the hood latch and it never even overheated after extended idling.

I was able to rock the car back and forth under it's own power to get it out of a deep rut. That means the trans was good! Brakes were shot, and the exhaust was going, but it survived it's jungle entombment better than my buddy's 65 SS Chevelle (eaten by groundhogs....what a way to go! )

stitcherbob2010-04-12 01:05:42
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 08:55:47 PM »

The 71 300 I picked up years ago had been sitting for over 10 years, outside under a tree.  I put in a fresh battery, sprayed some WD40 down the carb, and fired it up, and it went into warm up, kicked off when at temp, and idled fine.  And I didn't even add any gas to the tank, was running off the varnish that was still in the tank. 

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Clair Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 05:04:46 PM »

Hey, Stitch!  Hey, TC!

Yeah, it's been witness protection of sorts - a couple kiddos, a job that's wearing me down (but at least I have one), moving to a new house, and just all those other things that seem to crop up just when you think things are about under control again.  I think that's when you WISH it was witness protection...

These old engines are good about making us wannabe mechanic types feel good - if you've got a little fuel, a little compression, and a little spark, SOMETHING's gonna happen.  The bottle of gas I used was sitting in a quart water bottle for the last couple of years, and the gas in the tank is at least that old.  Don't ever think that stuff won't burn!

Clair
blah, blah, blah...

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 06:06:25 PM »

I remember you. . .I've been harboring your website.  LOL  Did we ever get that issue you had fixed?

Good to hear you got the old gal running again Clair

While you were away, I finally found my dream car.  A 68 Small Block Stick.  This one runs and drives.  For a change

Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Clair Davis

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2010, 06:39:17 PM »

Hey, Steve!

That looks like a sweet ride - you've GOT to keep the side pipes!  Maybe stretch them a little bit so they look like they're supposed to fit a C instead of an A...    It's clearly begging for a stroker fuelie Magnum, wouldn't you say?  I need to check in and see how the Polaraco is doing these days.  My EFI project is starting to revive after a couple years off.

I don't think the login works for me, but I haven't had a chance to mess with it in a while.  My latest Windoze update seems to have nuked my cookies function, so I've got to log in to every stinking web site I visit every stinking time...  I'll shoot an email to you some time soon to see what's going on - with my web pages, not Windoze...

Clair

blah, blah, blah...

Clair Davis

• View Profile
Re: Visited my 68 Sport Fury Convertible Today...
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2017, 08:56:34 PM »

"Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.  Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic."
 ::)

How about 2587 days, 1 hour, 8 minutes and 2 seconds...

I've made some progress:
2017-04-09_Buff-and-Polish-02 by clair_davis, on Flickr

Have a bit of work to go, though.  She's in the shop now, about to get the stubframe straightened out from a wreck in her previous life, plus a bunch of suspension work.  And a transmission rebuild.  And I'm finally going to install the new carpet and seat covers I bought before I started this thread...

Hope y'all are doing well,

Clair
blah, blah, blah...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC