MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: The Insanemission thread- CLUTCH  (Read 18914 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The Insanemission thread- CLUTCH
« Reply #435 on: November 26, 2010, 05:18:21 PM »

You could buy an AI Robot.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 27, 2010, 02:02:10 AM »

I'll get one of those speed bleeders and bleed it first thing. 

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: November 28, 2010, 10:11:14 AM »

Going on vacation.....

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: November 28, 2010, 01:02:04 PM »

If the arm is making the full swing, it has to be working

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: November 28, 2010, 01:19:54 PM »

On vacation................................

Guests

« Reply #441 on: November 28, 2010, 01:39:36 PM »

I once bought my father a 1975 Triumph Spitfire because the transmission wouldn't engage or disengage. Picked it up with a rebuilt transmission the guy had installed, towed it home since it couldn't be shifted. Pulled the cover off and was looking at this and that, when all the sudden it became apparent the pivot pin for the fork was sticking up about two inches. Lots of reasons why a new setup isn't working, just gotta dig into it and start diagnosing things one at a time.

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: November 28, 2010, 01:56:08 PM »

Fork is 100% AOK in form, fit, and function.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: November 28, 2010, 02:10:09 PM »

But is it now after what you just told me about Lance with the cone-a-long?

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #444 on: November 28, 2010, 02:25:11 PM »

The fork is just about the only indestructable part of the setup. That and the bell housing barring an explosion...

Guests

« Reply #445 on: November 28, 2010, 06:15:09 PM »

Let's start by doing some diagnosis since we don't know what is going on with everything, kind of verifying everything independently works.

Fork is OK, but with the slave cylinder off, does it feel like it is able to move the throwout bearing correctly? As in, put her in gear, grab a bar to move the fork and see if moving it will allow you to turn the driveline freely (rear wheels off the ground of course). Determine the throw and that, then, the slave cylinder extends far enough to move the fork that far. If it doesn't, problem is slave.
Now, if slave doesn't move at all, bleed and recheck the throw of the slave cylinder.

Did you find anyone with a Dakota manual trans that you can check the system out physically before getting one?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: November 28, 2010, 06:29:13 PM »

The thing that bothersme is Stan said they depressed the clutch with a come-along to get the trans in.  I suggested that and it worked.  Buit he told me in an email tonight Lance appeared to be struggling with the come-along.  He also said the peddle is going to the floor, apparently with no resistence.

There are two things to look at.  The correct throw-out bearing, binding on the bearing retainer.

My other thoughts are in the slave.  One it's too short a throw, and the second is there may still be some air in the system.  It's possible he has a bad master too.  I'm wondering if the adjuster setup he has is not functioning properly.

Stan said it was real hard to move the fork by hand.  But since I can't call him, I can't explain to him, he won't be able to move it by hand.  Not unless he runs up to Clearwater and gets Hulk Hogan to move it for him.   Hulk's a Mopar guy too.

Guests

« Reply #447 on: November 28, 2010, 07:29:35 PM »

Yes, it is stiff and should be, but one does not need to depress the clutch to get the transmission into the car, it is simply sliding into the end of the crank and becoming one unit together. The throwout bearing and the fork simply rests there waiting to press against the pressure plate tines to disengage the clutch between it and the flywheel. If it took depressing to get the tranny into place, backwards or something. Heck, the transmission goes on after everything is set up anyway in this case, so it can be checked prior to throwing the transmission on.

My poor suggestion to check things inside is to drop the tranny and make sure everything inside is working. You can check the clutch clearance if not mistaken with the transmission out of the car, but still be able to verify the throwout bearing is being moved by the slave cylinder enough to allow clearance of the clutch and all that by using the clutch alignment tool and when depressed, turn the clutch by the tool. The board thing allows you to do it alone.

Stan, did you verify the throwout bearing fit the transmission front yoke and all that? Would hate for it to get pinched and not disengage. If on the other hand the pedal goes to the floor easily, too much pressure could blow the piston in the slave, or clutch cylinder itself, which may or may not mean the trans stuff is fine, just not enough pressure to work the clutch.

Stan, what is the slave/master cylinder out of, a Mustang?

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #448 on: November 28, 2010, 08:20:33 PM »

Quote from: Polaraco
The thing that bothersome is Stan said they depressed the clutch with a
 come-along to get the trans in.  I suggested that and it worked.

Never heard of that, and could not fathom why.....

Quote from: dana44
Yes, it is stiff and should be, but one does not need to depress the clutch to get the transmission into the car, it is simply sliding into the end of the crank and becoming one unit together. The throwout bearing and the fork simply rests there waiting to press against the pressure plate tines to disengage the clutch between it and the flywheel. If it took depressing to get the tranny into place, backwards or something. Heck, the transmission goes on after everything is set up anyway in this case, so it can be checked prior to throwing the transmission on.

Exactly my thoughts.....Something is not right if he had to do anything to the clutch to install it.
thrashingcows2010-11-29 01:22:54
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: November 29, 2010, 01:49:57 AM »

Quote from: dana44
Let's start by doing some diagnosis since we don't know what is going on with everything, kind of verifying everything independently works.

Fork is OK, but with the slave cylinder off, does it feel like it is able to move the throwout bearing correctly? As in, put her in gear, grab a bar to move the fork and see if moving it will allow you to turn the driveline freely (rear wheels off the ground of course). Determine the throw and that, then, the slave cylinder extends far enough to move the fork that far. If it doesn't, problem is slave.
Now, if slave doesn't move at all, bleed and recheck the throw of the slave cylinder.

I played touch feely w/a Dakota slave.  Nope.  Won't fit.  Darn.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC