MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: The Insanemission thread- CLUTCH  (Read 19909 times)

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
The Insanemission thread- CLUTCH
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 04:36:20 AM »

I'm convinced this is the most assenine idea ever conceived.  I keep looking for alternative options but it keeps coming back to this.
Biggest problem:  By far...Real Estate.  No room under the dash.  No room on the firewall. Gotta go with the old stuff.  No slaves, no jury rigging 78 Lancia pedals, no smoke.  No mirrors.  There's only one way to do it.  The way the factory WOULD have done it had they been stupid enough to offer a 76 NYB with a 4 speed.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 11:04:32 AM »

IIRC no post 73 C-body was ever offered with a manual of any kind, right?  That could make things difficult. 

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 11:47:59 AM »

Quote from: firedome
IIRC no post 73 C-body was ever offered with a manual of any kind, right?  That could make things difficult. 
That's what's egging me on.  The "Formal Years" (74-78),  never in a million years was designed to accept a manual tranny.   That ended with "The Fusies" (69 - 73).  In fact you could not order aamanual after 1970.  Therefor, I would have the world's only 4 on the floor, Formal.  I mean, I'm 61 and on a fixed income.  You think I'm ever gonna afford a 100% restored 1968 Dodge HemiDart 4 speed?  The sun will burn itself out to a clump of coal before that will happen.  That's why I know Steve loves pushing the limits on a car that will never appreciate.     The Hell with it.  I can't make it worth anything less......

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 03:02:14 PM »

Sounds like a good enough rationalization to me

I say go for it.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Guests

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 07:22:50 PM »

Go manual, go manual all the way, forget the hydraulic stuff.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 07:30:10 PM »

Quote from: Commando1
Quote from: firedome
That's what's egging me on.  The "Formal Years" (74-78),  never in a million years was designed to accept a manual tranny.   That ended with "The Fusies" (69 - 73).  In fact you could not order aamanual after 1970.  Therefor, I would have the world's only 4 on the floor, Formal.  I mean, I'm 61 and on a fixed income.  You think I'm ever gonna afford a 100% restored 1968 Dodge HemiDart 4 speed?  The sun will burn itself out to a clump of coal before that will happen.  That's why I know Steve loves pushing the limits on a car that will never appreciate.     The Hell with it.  I can't make it worth anything less......

Actually, I got an offer of 18,000 for it and turned it down.  But I told the guy I would make one for him.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 07:31:36 PM »

I'm convinced this is the most assenine idea ever conceived.  I keep looking for alternative options but it keeps coming back to this.

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 03:12:18 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO

Actually, I got an offer of 18,000 for it and turned it down. 
Yah, but...

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2010, 03:15:41 AM »

And that's my biggest hurdle.
I pretty much have every last detail covered on how to do a four speed in The Nyb except how to cough up the dough...
I thought about having someone like Brewer's sponsor me but they'd laugh me out of the hobby.

Hmmm.  I wonder if Mopar Action would like this as a tech article  car....  
Commando12010-04-14 08:21:45

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 04:07:48 AM »

It'd be hilarious to make it a 3 spd column shift... no seat mod necessary either.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 04:25:04 AM »

with a /6 no less...

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 06:25:15 AM »

Anything can be done with a welder

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 12:35:01 PM »

Not true, Grasshopper.  A chimpazee behind a welder is a sight I don't enjoy seeing...

Stewart Van Petten

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2010, 08:41:16 AM »

My cousin always wanted a big block 4 speed Mopar but could not afford to purchase one at the time. He saved up parts and ultimately built his '72 Satellite into the car he dreamed about. He found a wrecked '68 Cornet with a 383 4 speed combination for his donor parts. The car and engine had been beat on pretty bad by the original owner. The reason the car got wecked was when a main bearing rotated on the crank and the engine siezed...this locked up the rear end and the car skidded off the road and sideswiped a tree. The car was stuck in 3rd gear because of some twisted trany linkage and the owner figured that all the drivetrain was toast.  

Once we opened up the engine we found the problem and determined what was needed to rebuild it. Those engines are extremely tough and it went back to gether with only normal machining. We replaced a few gears in the trany as the owner bashed the crap out of the first and reverse gears doing "fish hooks" with the car. The clutch was toast also. In the end he also installed new bearings before it went into his car. He also swapped the larger rear end into the Satellite as it had 3.55 gears with a race positrac.

The Satellite had a 318 904 combo with 2.73 highway gears...the basic setup for many cars of that era. It took some time to find suitable parts to add the clutch pedal and linkage. Eventually a wrecked 4 speed Challenger donated the parts that were used to make this swap work.

The first time I drove the car I got into it at night and grabbed the auto lever that was still on the steering column and it would not move...my cousin laughed at me trying to move it (wired up at the time)...lucky for me it was in neutral when I started it up! Then I noticed the stick in the console. lol What a powerhouse! I had never driven a car with so much hp and torque at that time! The car drove beautiful with the new engine combination. I took it easy until we got off the gravel roads and onto some blacktop. The car would easily start to roast the tires at 50 mph!

A few weeks later I saw the car again and he had finished installing the steering column from the Challenger. Once that was done the car looked like a factory offering both inside the car and under the hood.

Good luck with your swap!
Polaraco made me do it

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2010, 08:59:34 AM »

Not true, Grasshopper.  A chimpazee behind a welder is a sight I don't enjoy seeing...

Then I want a picture of you with the welder in hand.

It's a classic idea. . . .  And like Polaraco, one of a kind.  Finding the pedal assemblies are going to be the problem.  After that it's a sled ride.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 34   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC