MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 34   Go Down

Author Topic: The Insanemission thread- CLUTCH  (Read 18956 times)

Guests

The Insanemission thread- CLUTCH
« Reply #120 on: May 13, 2010, 07:29:03 PM »

Z-bar is a waste of time with the cable, meaning the cable would be attaching to the Z-bar, and that simply defeats the purpose of having the cable clutch. Stan, you say Mustang runs a cable clutch, so you may be able to get all the components for the setup, from the cable holder on the tranny and then the determination of the amount of fulcrum angle and attachment through the firewall for the pedal itself. Remember, the cable has to be pulled, so it is working the opposite as the push clutch, so the cable has to come through the firewall, the housing attached to some location, then the cable pulled across the top of the pedal, an arch to increase the amount of pull (look at the newer throttle bodies that haven't gone totally electronic, you have a cable the doesn't pull like a throttle on your Holley, it is a curve that pulls, the end is like an emergency brake cable end, a small barrel that fits into a slot).  So, also, since you mentioned that Mustang cable clutch, look at how it is attached to the clutch pedal (may require a small roller pulley so the cable runs over it and to the  foot side of the pedal, not the engine side of the pedal, but I don't want to get ahead of things right now, check out the Mustang things first).
Ed

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 14, 2010, 03:18:57 AM »

No need to reinvent the wheel.  The 'stang boys got it all figured out:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2002/07/clutchcable/

Guests

« Reply #122 on: May 14, 2010, 07:29:49 PM »

Works for me, good job!

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 14, 2010, 08:06:55 PM »

Quote from: Commando1

Thanks for the link Stan...click and Bookmark...Done!!

Never know if something like that might come in handy.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 15, 2010, 06:10:36 AM »

I totally agree with you Ed.  But in his case, I was trying to make it easier for the conversion.

Not picking on him, but he is limited in his abilities and equipment.  Thought the Z Bar idea would be easier for him.  By putting in a Z Bar, he does the reversing of the movement very easily.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 15, 2010, 07:40:55 AM »

Quote from: Commando1
Jeezes, Steve.  If that setup shown above was any simpler, even you could it. Commando12010-05-15 12:41:36

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2010, 07:24:11 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Thought the Z Bar idea would be easier for him.  By putting in a Z Bar, he does the reversing of the movement very easily.

As well as adds leverage to the whole system, which means easier, and less strain on the clutch cable system.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Guests

« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2010, 07:43:50 PM »

[/QUOTE]
True, but now he has to make a bracket to keep the cable stable to pull the Z bar, and then be able to adjust it at the Z bar and to the clutch fork itself. At least with the Mustang system it is one bracket at the tranny and whatever is done at the clutch pedal itself, which may simply attach to the top, above the pedal pivot. This would be a good reason to have the whole Mustang pedal to know what the fulcrum amount is for pedal travel.

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2010, 02:55:45 AM »

Quote from: dana44
This would be a good reason to have the whole Mustang pedal to know what the fulcrum amount is for pedal travel.

I already figured that.
It's 2"
(full throw = 3". Using 3" as 1/4 of the circumferance = 12". If C=12, r=~2")

Here's an actual Mustang pedal:

Commando12010-05-16 14:24:24

Guests

« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »

That's the curved part I was talking about, good job. Only thing left is the cable bracket to hold it at the transmission from the Mustang to adapt to the Chrysler, and then the connection for the cable housing at the firewall (to remain fixed at both ends of the cable housing), both of which should be easy enough to find.

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2010, 07:17:49 PM »

Quote from: dana44
Quote from: thrashingcows
Quote from: POLARACO
Thought the Z Bar idea would be easier for him.  By putting in a Z Bar, he does the reversing of the movement very easily.

As well as adds leverage to the whole system, which means easier, and less strain on the clutch cable system.

True, but now he has to make a bracket to keep the cable stable to pull the Z bar, and then be able to adjust it at the Z bar and to the clutch fork itself. At least with the Mustang system it is one bracket at the tranny and whatever is done at the clutch pedal itself, which may simply attach to the top, above the pedal pivot. This would be a good reason to have the whole Mustang pedal to know what the fulcrum amount is for pedal travel.

Ahhh I had not thought of that....Thanks for pointing that out!

As Dana says all you need is the fixed point brackets and your golden....

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2010, 06:51:28 AM »

[/QUOTE]
True, but now he has to make a bracket to keep the cable stable to pull the Z bar, and then be able to adjust it at the Z bar and to the clutch fork itself. At least with the Mustang system it is one bracket at the tranny and whatever is done at the clutch pedal itself, which may simply attach to the top, above the pedal pivot. This would be a good reason to have the whole Mustang pedal to know what the fulcrum amount is for pedal travel.[/QUOTE]

Right.  Agreed.  For anyone else I would let it ride to his taste.  But I am also not familiar with the mustang set up.  I would do it the Way Stan pictured it though. . . .  I was thinking about his knees and his personal vintage.  Throwing in some leverage would take some off his legs.  I was also thinking it may have been easier for him to mount.  I see he has a bit of a fear factor in this as well.

Just covering the bases. . .  You know how us old people think

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2010, 07:29:10 AM »

[/QUOTE]

Sheesh....set in your ways.....

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2010, 08:14:44 AM »

yeah!   Paranoia, stubborn, crotchity, no yen too

Guests

« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2010, 08:17:57 PM »

Gotta laugh about all this. When the PT stripped its cogs, I had another guy with me, five years my junior, stopped smoking last year. We were on an offramp, so we simply backed the car down and off the road, walked to the gas station on the corner. After all our talks and stuff, Gary (my buddy) said it would be a good idea to get the car away from the side of the road and somewhere closer to life so the windows didn't get broken out and stuff, so, back to the car, about five hundred yards up the road. Got there and started pushing. The car isn't that bad to push, me at the driver's door and steering, him in the back. We got up the little offramp and across the two lanes to the wide bridge and stopped, 100yards done. The bridge was a very slight bridge, so we waited about five minutes to catch our breath. OK, let's get back to it, so I started pushing, Gary in the rear again, almost to the crest and Gary says rest. I say, heck, we are almost to the downhill, twenty more yards. I keep pushing, crest the bridge, yell, come on up and get inside, we can coast the last three hundred yards. Well, I don't even see Gary in the dark, so I go ahead and park, then start walking back to him with a glass of soda. Come to find out Sunday that I pushed the car the last 75 yards myself because Gary had quit and was sitting on the guardrail of the bridge. Wife says to me, "You just don't get it, do you? After all these years you still don't understand it when you get told you are FREAKING stronger than you know." At 49years old I still outwork the kids, pisses them off, I say, lack of motivation on their part. Old age is what you make it. I watched my 78year old grandfather (the farmer) geld a two year old horse by himself. At 84 he was still hauling a bale of hay on a pitchfork over his shoulder and kicking the snot out of full grown cows. I have a touch of osteoarthritis, but since I know what the pain is, I know how to work around it, figure it will be another 18months before I get to replace the bone on bone hip, that is if I ever get the garage and house permit. At this rate it won't be happening for another three years, damn.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 34   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC