MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Convertible Top Questions  (Read 692 times)

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
Convertible Top Questions
« on: April 06, 2010, 10:52:50 PM »

My top is 7 years old, and is still mostly good, but I’m starting to notice a couple of issues.  I’d like to get another year or two out of it, so am looking for suggestions.

First, it has started to rip a little where it is fastened to the quarter window frame, and has a small tear just behind that in the C pillar area (the line and X in the photo)

I think I can take care of these by reinforcing it on the inside, so am looking for a source for small amounts of top material, and whatever kind of glue is used on this.

Second,  I have been noticing some water inside after it rains.  What it seems to be doing is coming in above the door windows and ending up in the channel of the top mechanism there.  Then the first time you turn a corner it runs out onto my lap.

I’m not sure how this moisture is getting in.  My two thoughts are that it is seeping through the stitching along the edge, or instead of dripping off the edge, it is wicking underneath and into the pads.
I’m assuming this top is vinyl rather than cloth, is there an easy way to determine?  Do vinyl tops get less waterproof as they age?  Is there something to spray or coat the top with to help with this.  (most of the waterproofing things I’ve looked at say not to use them on vinyl)

Thanks,
Dan
 D Cluley2010-04-07 03:55:39
1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Scott

• View Profile
Convertible Top Questions
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »

How are your seals that attach to the top of the quarter glass rear run channels? These protrect against air and water entering in the area you are describing. There is no doubt your top is tweaked but the weather seals are important as well. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find a company that reproduces them.
============================================================
"What ain't no country I ever heard of. They speak English in What?" - Jules Winnfield

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC