MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 55   Go Down

Author Topic: 84 Dodge One Ton Cummins crewcab conversion....  (Read 103945 times)

Brian

• View Profile
84 Dodge One Ton Cummins crewcab conversion....
« Reply #645 on: July 09, 2014, 10:33:44 PM »

So since I needed the truck to go to work the next day, I decided it was time for some back yard engineering. ;)

I hunted around the garage trying to think of what I could use to assemble, and secure the relief valve so it would function as a single piece again.  I dug through many of my containers of MISC.  Stuff I see, find and have left over from projects and such that I toss in containers because " I might be able to use that one day...."

Well eventually I came across this...

Think it was leftover from some Ikea furniture?  Anyway I carefully removed the rolled metal around the middle.  The ground off one end so i could get to the spring star washers.  Then I slowly, and carefully bent and ground down the fingers until I was able to sneak it into the bore to hold the relief valve back together.

Worked really well, super snug and biting hard into the aluminum.  I was able to get things back together and have not had any issue so far.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 09, 2014, 10:40:24 PM »

I also spent a little time working on quieting up the 4wd shift lever.  I was rattling quite a bit.  Here is a the piece that came in my Advance adapters NV4500 to NP205 kit, Vs the OEM unit.

I needed the end that be tighter on the transfer case.  So I used some rubber and worked it in between the clevis and shift bar.  It was tight, and took some time to get everything in place and lined up.

The other end just required the addition of a small spring washer to take up the little bit of slop.  Nice a quiet now!!
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 09, 2014, 10:46:47 PM »

And I cut up my original "Power Ram 250" emblems so I could make my "Power Ram 350" emblems.

I used my table saw to carefully cut the "power" portion of the original emblem off.  Then I had to sand down the piece to fit tight against the "RAM".  The "A" sticks up just a little bit.  Once fitted I put a couple coats of paint on the lower section that was cut and sanded.  Then one dry some two sided tape and installed everything.

Think it turned out good.

After how much the last set I saw on e-bay go for...think it was around $300?  This works just fine for me.... ;)

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 10, 2014, 11:21:08 AM »

Wow Brian, what an amazing job you've done!  I started at page 1 and here I am over two hours later, a great write-up with lots of pictures. The before and after interior shots make it hard to believe it's the same truck, very well done! I had to chuckle at a few of the pictures, doesn't it ever stop raining in Abbotsford! LOL

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #649 on: July 10, 2014, 05:29:12 PM »

Hey Bill...Good to hear from you.  Thanks for the kind words.  It's been a lot of work, but I really have fallen in love with these cummins powered trucks. 

Post up some pics of your car.  Would love to see where it's at now.  Find any more 440 powered Fury III 'verts?

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: July 10, 2014, 10:00:43 PM »

Good job McGiever
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #651 on: July 11, 2014, 08:20:49 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Good job McGiever

Thanks Steve.!  We sometimes have to think outside the box, so we can get back on the road.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #652 on: July 11, 2014, 08:20:57 PM »

Thanks everyone!

Well yesterday I figured it was time to get the AC working.  

I had cleaned the evaporator, lines and condenser when I had everything apart.  I installed a new AC compressor, it was pre-filled with about 5oz of oil.  I then read through the FSM ad found that I needed to add another 4oz.  So that went in and I then installed a new drier.  Closed everything up and ran a vacuum on the system for 30 minutes.

I then installed the 134a conversion fittings, and refilled it with Duracool.  The operating line pressures are within proper spec, but I just am not getting the cool temps I should be seeing.  Even on the Hwy I am only getting moderately cool air from the vents.

I think this has a lot to do with the AC condenser being behind the Power Stroke Intercooler.  It's just not getting the cool air "first" like it needs to properly transfer the heat.

I'm going to install a couple manual shut off valves on the heater hoses to stop ALL the coolant from entering the heater box.  Just so you know, even with the vacuum controlled valve on the inlet heater hose to the heater core...you still get parasitic heat drawn into the heater core from the outlet line.  Hope this helps a little.

If I can't get the AC temps down where they should be, or where I can live with them, then next spring I'm going to install a remote condenser with fans under the box.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Bill Mounteer

• View Profile
« Reply #653 on: July 11, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »

Quote from: thrashingcows
Hey Bill...Good to hear from you.  Thanks for the kind words.  It's been a lot of work, but I really have fallen in love with these cummins powered trucks. 

Post up some pics of your car.  Would love to see where it's at now.  Find any more 440 powered Fury III 'verts?

Some days you eat bear, some days the bear eats you!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: July 11, 2014, 09:47:34 PM »

Hi Bill

No way you can flip the condensor and Intercooler hih?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: July 12, 2014, 09:09:52 AM »

A heater core shutoff valve should help. I know that if there is heater core water flowing through the cabin core you are simply cooling hot air, and I have always had some kind of heater hose shutoff valve in all my AC cars.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #657 on: July 12, 2014, 10:20:11 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Brian

http://igotacummins.com/showthread.php?2921-Calling-all-Canucks&p=30675#post30675

Thanks Steve....but I had an OEM intercooler from my donor truck.  I went with the BIGGER Power Stroke IC because I only use the AC for a few weeks out of the year.  The motor can benefit from cooler EGT's year round.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: July 12, 2014, 03:19:44 PM »

OK  I'll delete that.  I thought it would be fun to rattle a couple of the Canadian Cages.  LOL
You have room to fit an electric fan behind the grill?

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #659 on: July 12, 2014, 03:33:13 PM »

There's barely enough room to get the grille in place without hitting the bigger PS IC.....  In fact it almost touches in a couple places.  I had to add a little foam tape to a couple area to keep the grille from potentially hitting the IC.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 55   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC