MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 55   Go Down

Author Topic: 84 Dodge One Ton Cummins crewcab conversion....  (Read 103867 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
84 Dodge One Ton Cummins crewcab conversion....
« Reply #675 on: August 31, 2014, 03:49:26 PM »

That's what I was telling you.  CeeBee makes a glass replacement that will accept those bulbs.  I agree with you.  The glass was the reason I did it.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 02, 2014, 07:28:41 PM »

Weathers been rainy and cooling down here the last week or so.  So I figured it was time to install my heater hoses again.  But this time I had my new manual shut off valves, and a new vacuum coolant shut off valve as well.

I searched high and low for the "right" manual shut off valves I wanted to use.  Many hours were spent searching all over the internet until I happened across these babies!

4 Seasons 84706.  Used on early 70's dodge pick up trucks.

And the vacuum operated shut off valve was not available for our trucks...at least with a 5/8 x 5/8 hose connections.  Maybe I just couldn't find it, but I searched high and low and never could find a direct OEM style replacement.

I found many that would "work" but looked hideous, IMO, but eventually found one I liked.

4 Seasons 74859. Used mainly on Ford Rangers from 2003 to 2008.

Now here it is all installed...

Now next summer I can just turn off the valves and no heat, or coolant will enter the heater core to affect my AC temps. :D

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 02, 2014, 07:37:08 PM »

Changed out the two air temp sensor in the intake.  The one for the grid heaters, the small more forward one, can be had through the aftermarket.  BWD WT3032 will get you the right one.  

The other one, it controls the on/off for the KSB.  I could not find an aftermarket replacement.  So I had to find a NOS one.  The OEM number on this one is...3921642

Here they are installed....

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 03, 2014, 06:16:29 PM »

Decided today to address the cab slipping from side to side on the cab mounts.  Took me a while to figure out what was going on, but that was what was happening.  Annoying as all heck, almost every corner, or big bump I took it would "clunk". :(

I thought I would be clever and grease everything up really well when I installed the new poly mounts.  Well this was one of the reasons things went haywire.

I removed one side at a time, cleaned all the grease off in the parts washer, cleaned the body side with solvent and then finally re-installed.  Then snugged up the bolts.  Then I measured from side to side to make sure the cab was evenly spaced on the mounts.

One thing I did find was that once I had things in place, and I tightened up the nuts, that the nuts would bottom out on the shoulder on the factory bolts.  I think this was the other reason the cab was moving around on the mounts.  Not tight enough to hold things in place.

So I dug through my buckets of misc washers. Found some thick hardened washers from ???  But regardless I stacked two under each nut and it gave me enough addition thread to be able to torque them up to the factory 40-60ftlbs.

All done...right this time...;)

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 03, 2014, 06:25:33 PM »

A little trick I have been using while working on interior stuff.  You probably all know how hard it is to find the darn screw holes under the carpet and insulation, once you have removed a piece of trim, shift boot or other piece.

Well I figured out a way to make it relatively easy to get your item back in exactly the same place, and hit all the screw holes with little, to no effort.

Here is what I do.  First get some long finishing nails.  I think I use 3" nails.  Then once the carpet and such is back in position you use the finishing nails to poke through the carpet and insulation until you find the screw holes.

Like this...

Then once all the screw holes have been found, just lower your piece over  the nails.  

Then just remove one nail at a time and screw it down into place.  Works perfect every time!

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #680 on: September 14, 2014, 05:29:26 PM »

I have needed a new pass. side mirror.  The mirror had broken, and the original owner had installed one of those cheap shiny U-cut plastic mirrors.  Could barely see out of it.  And the power mirror motor gears were stripped as well.

Anyway I got a new "reproduction" mirror...well it looked nice in the box.  But went to install it and ran into some issues.  

First off the mounting holes were just slightly out of alignment, or too small?  Finally go the mounting bracket into place and found the routing for the power wires in the wrong spot.  So remove it again and change the location of the wires, then Install again.

Thought I was almost done and went to put the outer cover down and over the mounting bracket, and could to get it to line up, or install tight enough to get the lower set screw into place.  So I pulled it off again and checked it to the original bracket.  Looked like the clip they used that the screw goes into was too short.  So I swap those and tryed AGAIN!  

Now this time I was just able to push hard enough on the cover to get the lower screw in place...but barely.  But now the rubber seal around the neck of the shaft the mirror is on was pushed up and almost out.  Seems that the outer cover is just a tad too small...all around.

So removed it AGAIN! and this time pulled the original bracket and cover off the old mirror and installed it on the new one.  Installed it on the door and it all fell into place!  The actual mirror, motor and stuff seem to be fine...it was just the mounting bracket and cover that gave me all the grief.

So if you are considering buying one of these aftermarket mirrors be aware that things might not fit right.
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #681 on: September 14, 2014, 05:35:21 PM »

Also got some time to hunt down and stop a few front end rattles.  

First was the air cleaner assembly.  It was rattling in the metal bracket.  So I removed the air cleaner box and then put some sticky one side neoprene rubber foam along all the edges where it sits.  Nice and quiet now.

Then it was on to the front brakes.  Turned out when I redid the front end, and all the brakes, that I did not install the brake pads properly.  The outer pads I  did not bend over the tabs and makes sure they were tight on the calipers.  And the inner pads I did not use the anti-rattle clips.  

I have eliminated most of the rattle and clunks now.  And the truck just seems tighter, and better then ever.  Even more reasons to love it! ;)

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: September 14, 2014, 07:14:40 PM »

Quote from: thrashingcows
I have needed a new pass. side mirror.  The mirror had broken, and the original owner had installed one of those cheap shiny U-cut plastic mirrors.  Could barely see out of it.  And the power mirror motor gears were stripped as well.

Anyway I got a new "reproduction" mirror...well it looked nice in the box.  But went to install it and ran into some issues.  

First off the mounting holes were just slightly out of alignment, or too small?  Finally go the mounting bracket into place and found the routing for the power wires in the wrong spot.  So remove it again and change the location of the wires, then Install again.

Thought I was almost done and went to put the outer cover down and over the mounting bracket, and could to get it to line up, or install tight enough to get the lower set screw into place.  So I pulled it off again and checked it to the original bracket.  Looked like the clip they used that the screw goes into was too short.  So I swap those and tryed AGAIN!  

Now this time I was just able to push hard enough on the cover to get the lower screw in place...but barely.  But now the rubber seal around the neck of the shaft the mirror is on was pushed up and almost out.  Seems that the outer cover is just a tad too small...all around.

So removed it AGAIN! and this time pulled the original bracket and cover off the old mirror and installed it on the new one.  Installed it on the door and it all fell into place!  The actual mirror, motor and stuff seem to be fine...it was just the mounting bracket and cover that gave me all the grief.

So if you are considering buying one of these aftermarket mirrors be aware that things might not fit right.

Darned Chinamen.  LOL

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #683 on: September 16, 2014, 09:41:20 AM »

I have been noticing a difference in the RPM my tach is showing when I'm cruising on the Hwy.  In the cool of the morning...about 5am...heading to work, I am seeing 2000rpm at approx 100Km/h.  But in the heat of the day, late afternoon heading home, I am seeing 1850-1900 going the same speed.

I never saw any fluctuations before when I was running the magnetic tach signal pick up on the harmonic balancer,  and this very same Isspro tach.

Only thing I can think of is maybe the CPS is going bad, or there is a weak link in the wiring?  And the heat of the day is causing a deterioration of the CPS signal?

Thoughts, ideas?
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: September 16, 2014, 10:45:35 AM »

That's a good one. If it were an auto I would say lockup or fluid temp was doing it, a manual, not so sure Tachometers are not temperature sensitive that I know of.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: September 16, 2014, 11:36:26 AM »

MMMMMMM

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #686 on: September 20, 2014, 06:51:40 PM »

I adjusted my valves today, they all were dead on.  I think the original owner always had his servicing done at the Chrysler dealership...so I think they must have stayed on top of the valve adjustment.  

I had to remove the fan and shroud so I could rotate the motor at the crank pulley so I could use the companion method to check my valves.  And since I had that all off I decided to toss on my new serpentine belt.

Also installed new valve cover gaskets and O-rings.  But on the way to pick up new O-rings I was driving the wife's 02 Concorde and the friggin drivers side inner door handle broke...Dooh!

So after getting the truck back together I had to make a run to the wreckers and get a new door handle.  They sure don't make these as serviceable parts now days do they!  Had to rely on my backyard engineering degree to get things fixed. ;)

Then Ol' Patches decided that it did not like it's positive battery cable connection.  Had to pull it all apart, slice out a little bit of the cable end so I could tighten it up a bit more.  Then re-assemble.

Then it was time for a bath....It was a good day! :)
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: September 20, 2014, 07:03:37 PM »

Never ends does it.

While under there I noticed a small hole in the inner rocker.  OK  Weather is good, so I'll tackle that in the morning.  Well my retired morning.  6 hours later, it's finally sealed up.  I took the running board off and my eyes opened right up.  Good thing I have all these tools and equipment.  Tomorrow I'll put some paint on it and put the running board back on.  You think I should look at the right side now?  LOL

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #688 on: October 01, 2014, 08:47:08 PM »

Installed my 3200 governor spring today.  And reset the idle to about 750 with the A/C running.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #689 on: October 01, 2014, 09:01:54 PM »

I also messed around with the idle screw, and nut.  Not only did it take me an a long friggin time to get that nut loose and out of the way, but I did not want to have to to try and adjust the idle with it in the stock set-up.

So I started looking at another way I could lock the idle shaft down, but still have it reasonably easy to do.

Here is the idle screw in the stock form...

Here's what I came up with.  I was looking for a long nut, or type of nut that I could mount on the front side of the idle shaft.  The problem with this is that if it's too short then you won't be able to loosen or tighten the nut down.  So what I found was a Nyloc nut that had the same fine thread as the idle shaft.  Then heated it up until the nylon melted out.

Then I installed it backwards on the forward part of the shaft. This left it long enough to be able to get a wrench on the nut.

I turned the idle shaft around thinking that it would be easier to adjust from the front, but it was actually a lot more difficult to adjust it this way.  So I will be turning the shaft back around to the stock orientation, but leaving the nut on the front side!

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 55   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC