MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 55   Go Down

Author Topic: 84 Dodge One Ton Cummins crewcab conversion....  (Read 107531 times)

Brian

• View Profile
84 Dodge One Ton Cummins crewcab conversion....
« Reply #630 on: June 12, 2014, 08:20:07 PM »

Next issue was the total lack of power the motor seemed to have.  It would barely climb up a hill at 35 KM/H in 3rd gear.  It was bad!!  I thought I had some major issues.

I initially thought I had a 21cm2 exhaust housing, but I confirmed that it had a 18cm2 unit.  OK so that was not my problem.  

Next I thought maybe the OEM diaphragm lift pump was not supplying the motor with enough fuel.  So I pulled the LP piston lift pump off my 89 motor and installed it on the 93.  This did help a little....I was now up to 40-45 KM/h going up the same hill.

Then I noticed while cruising at a steady speed that once in a while the motor sound would change.  I got thinking about it and thought that maybe the KSB was coming on while driving.  I came to the DTR and did a ton of reading on KSB's.  

I finally found a test procedure and tried that.  Turned out the KSB was on all the time.  My intake temp sensor is toast.  And once I disconnected the wiring to the KSB the truck was like night and day.

I also need to mention that I had installed a M&H dynamic timing spacer when I resealed the IP.  So with the KSB on all the time I was running probably 15-20* more timing.....Doooh!!

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi
84 Dodge Crewcab, Cummins/5speed
68 Chrysler Station Wagon 440/auto
48 Desoto 2dr Sedan flat 6/3spd manual

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #631 on: June 12, 2014, 08:31:52 PM »

Then a week or so ago I started to get a really bad growl, shake when i got on the highway.  Thought maybe the pinion bear was starting to go since it was worse under load/acceleration.

Did a quick check and found that the rear most weld on yoke had opened up and I had a fair amount of side to side play in the U-joint.  I used a C-clamp to tighten things up, then installed a washer to take up the extra space.  Also turned out that the slip yoke off the back side of the carrier bearing had one U-joint cup that was loose and spinning in the casting.  

I had to get back and forth to work for a couple more days before I could get the drive shafts out and back to the shop that did them.  So the washer was a temp fix, and I kept off the highway and stayed below 65 KM/H.

The driveline shop that RE/RE'd my original 2 pieces set-up had said everything was good.  And they only replaced two of the wled on yokes the first time around.  Well now the parts that they said were OK turned out to be shot.

I have had issue with this shop before.  The owner will not stand behind his work.  But the other shop I had been using got out of car/truck drivelines, and this shop was the only one relatively close by.  So once again he weaseled out of proper customer service and I got stuck with another full bill to fix what they didn't do right the first time.[verymad]

I have since found another shop.  They don't advertise, so you have to know someone one who knows.  So I will be going there next time.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: June 12, 2014, 08:40:27 PM »

The last issue I have right now is with the factory electronic cruise control system  What my truck is doing is that when you set the cruise, it will sit at the set speed for a second or so...then start speeding up.

I have read every thread I could find here on the DTR, and other sites, that pertain to the factory cruise set up.  I have also done every test that the FSM (factory service manual) says to do to test the system.  Everything checks out.  It should, in theory, be working perfectly.

I have come to the conclusion though that perhaps the "Vent" function is the culprit.  Since the ECM is supposed to control the "venting" function on the servo to help maintain the speed, as well as increase, and slow down as need by road conditions.

So the other day I thought maybe if I limited the amount of vacuum to the servo it might help.  I reduced the ID of the vacuum line down to about 1/16th of an inch and it still persisted in doing the same thing.

So now I need to figure out how the vent system works on the servo.  And/or find a servo from a working truck/car and try it on the crewcab.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: June 13, 2014, 08:42:05 AM »

I have a headach
Use the gasoline procedures on the cruise
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #634 on: June 20, 2014, 04:16:44 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
I have a headach

OK I'll try that Steve...I'm at a loss so I'll try anything....Thanks!

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: June 20, 2014, 04:16:51 PM »

Well I was under the truck again the other night...and guess what...the rear most weld on yoke is spreading AGAIN!![verymad]  Not as bad as before, but I can still wiggle the U-joint back and forth about 1/32" to 1/16".

I also discovered the b@st@rds did not put any grease on my front drive shaft...in the splined slip joint.  And the rear slip joint off the carrier bearing had just a small dollop.  

My guess is they re-used one, or both of the universals that were compromised in the last cr@ppy job they did.  And then charged me for "new" parts.

I greased up all the joints again and went for another drive.  Slightly better, but still growling the worst on the decel.

I'm going over to my brothers next week to have him check out the rear diff.  He worked in a drive line shop for a couple years just doing diffs and transfer cases.  So this should tell me if my rear axle has anything to do with the noises and vibrations.  

My gut is telling me it's those friggin driveshafts!!

I'll be going to their shop next week to ream the owner a new one, and inform him I'm placing a negative report with the BBB, and will be letting all my on-line forums, and friends by word of mouth, know about his shoddy customer service and craftsmanship.

thrashingcows2014-06-21 02:20:23
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: June 20, 2014, 04:27:10 PM »

Good for you. I will be sure not to use them.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: June 20, 2014, 05:57:04 PM »

Unfortunately there's allot of that going on.

Send your brother down here.  He can finish my diff on my truck for me.  That's a whole different story

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #638 on: June 20, 2014, 09:18:36 PM »

I got the air intake sensor sorted out today.  I went up to my local parts house and we cross referenced the SMP AX36 with the brand they carry.  They carry BWD, so the cross references is WT3032.

We looked up a picture in the catalog and it appeared to be correct. It also only listed it for 94-98 Dodge rams, no reference to 91-93.  Anyway they brought it in for me and it was the right piece.

We looked through teh catalog and found a picture of a sensor that matched the one I received.  It appears to be an air temperature sensor for A/C systems on mopars from late 80's to late 90's?

Anyway here is a pic of the 3 sensors.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: June 27, 2014, 08:39:08 AM »

The other day I went back out to the drive line shop, to talk to the owner about mu continuing issue with the driveshafts.  Man is that guy a friggin A-Hole!!

In not so many words, and in a round about, back handed way, he called me a whiner and a liar, and accused me of not knowing what I'm doing, and that possibly "I" was damaging the driveshafts.

I will "NEVER" be going back to this guy.  I won't bad mouth him on-line...since he reluctantly said he would warranty the pieces.  But this will be the last and final time dealing with him and his shop.
Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #640 on: June 27, 2014, 08:47:31 AM »

On a slightly better note...We had a nice family BBQ last night, and then my brother and I tore into my rear diff.

Well it's not all good news for the Dana 70.  The power-loc unit is worn out, and the pinion is running deep on the ring gear.  Enough to run past the outside edge of the gear.  And it appears I have at least one wheel bearing that is a bit iffy.  

But my brother says there is nothing that can't wait a few weeks, or longer, to address.  So now I have to source all new parts for a complete diff rebuild.  Thankfully my brother has all the tools required to do it in his shop.   So it will be a learning experience for me as well.

On a bit of a funny note...while talking with my brother last night I was telling him my issues with my driveshafts.  He finally asked who was doing the work...so I told him...he laughed and told be he had worked for this guy a couple years ago.  And that he is truly an A-hole to work for as well.  he said he only lasted a few months and had to get out of there.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

dana44

• Global Moderator
  • dana44
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: June 27, 2014, 12:22:37 PM »

Well at least you can now confirn it isn't you! Good luck with the diff. They aren't hard jobs, but you have to know a couple little secrets to get them right, sounds like your brother knows them.
68 Charger 440 6pac/02 PT Cruiser/63 TR4 2.5 5spd/39 Nash Business Coupe/95 Dakota Sport 3.9 5spd/81 Z28/ USN Retired

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: June 27, 2014, 05:28:25 PM »

To refresh your memory, I upgraded from 373's to 342's.  Dropped my RPM 200 and gained 2 MPG.  I just took a trip with it.  I did 550 miles on less than 3/4's of a tank.  That puts me on the 25 to 26  MPG range now

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 01, 2014, 01:18:21 PM »

Wow Steve...That is an amazing change for just a slight gear drop!!

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Brian

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 09, 2014, 10:25:45 PM »

Last week I decided to tackle the oil cooler.  I had been seeing a bit of coolant leaking from my oil cooler. So bought new gaskets from cummins, and went at it.

The bolts holding the oil cooler should be at 18ft/lbs...mine were maybe 5ft/lbs when I removed them!  I would recommend that you check your oil cooler bolts.

Once I got the assembly out of the block, I ended up with a couple loose pieces.

That is the pressure relief valve for the oil bypass.  It is supposed to be one piece!  

And this is where I found the top piece of the relief valve.

So I spent the next couple hours trying to find one.  No one seemed to have one, and the cummins dealers parts department was closed, due to the long weekend.

I eventually called a friend who said he had a complete unit I could try.  So i buzzed over there and grabbed it.  Turned out the pressure relief valve in this one was shot too!!  I just couldn't get a break. :(

So I went back and cleaned up the gasket surfaces.  What a PITA.  Not sure what those gaskets were held on with, but it took wire wheel, and small sanding discs to get it all cleaned up.

Brian

02 Chrysler Concorde Lxi

Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 55   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC