MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Emblem Restoration  (Read 459 times)

Andy

Emblem Restoration
« on: March 09, 2010, 08:57:48 AM »

I posted these two pictures, front and back, of the sail panel emblems from my 64 300. They're pretty well shot and I thought I'd try restoring them myself, since Emblem Magic wants $225. 00 each for new ones and I don't want to know how much to restore them after seeing that price!

OK here's my questions. First off, what do I use to remove the old paint without damaging the clear plastic. I tried some pre paint cleaner, only took off the dirt, mineral spirits, took off more dirt, and now I don't know what else to try. Second question is how do those little clips come off the posts so I can get the insert out of the frame? They're missing off two of the posts so I know they musst come off somehow! I don't want to snap that small post or I will have to go to get new ones! OUCH!

Last question. I'm thinking of using model car paint, (spray) to redo the red, white, blue and silver in the emblem. They make so many different colors and metalics I'm thinking I can find something to use. Once painted, spray an automotive primer over the back to seal it. If you have other paint suggestions I'd like to hear them. Since I'm not doing a restoration back to stock I'm not worried if the colors are exact. In fact I may just get "Creative" with them. =80

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Emblem Restoration
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 09:22:48 AM »

Wet sand the paint off of the plastic with 1500 grit sandpaper and polish with Meguiars PlastX polish. Then you can paint the colors back on. A coat of silver could be better than grey primer as the colors may come out too dark....

Carefully pry the clips up with a small screwdriver after cleaning the posts with fine sandpaper so there are no burrs on them.

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Emblem Restoration
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 12:17:55 PM »

[/QUOTE]

You da Mannnn 

You want to do mine for me?  LOL
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Emblem Restoration
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 01:43:23 PM »

Thanx

Also, sometimes Easy-Off oven cleaner or Red Devil Lye will remove paint from plastic without harming it.....have to test it on a junk piece. One thing that I know that works without hurting styrene plastic is nitromethane model airplane fuel..... paint just floats off of old model kits, so it might work on the emblems....again test it first

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Emblem Restoration
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2010, 01:46:39 PM »

Now, what can you do for a cracked one?

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Emblem Restoration
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 01:48:42 PM »

circular file......I don't think any glue exists that will bond that together without a line showing

Andy

Emblem Restoration
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2010, 05:01:45 PM »

Wet sand with 1500 grit sandpaper then Meguiar's. Got it Paint it then use silver topcoat, grey may make the colors to dark.

Thanks guys!! Youz is da best!

Andy

Emblem Restoration
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2010, 05:08:01 PM »

How about trying the thick Cynoacralate (sp) glue. Use enough to get a small amount to squeeze out then try sanding with 1500 grit paper and polishing with the Meguiars. Couldn't hurt if you're going to toss it anyway!

Oh yeah, I'm a pro now since I got the answer to my question!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Emblem Restoration
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2010, 06:50:21 PM »

That's the trick. . .  Getting the glue

Andy

Emblem Restoration
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2010, 07:27:42 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
That's the trick. . .  Getting the glue

Thick CA shouldn't be to big a problem. Any good hobby store that deals with  RC models should have lots of it. Specially if they do RC planes. I used to use it on the planes I built and flew years ago. Before it got expensive. It wasn't quite expensive enough for me so I took up the restorodding of my 64 300!  

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Emblem Restoration
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2010, 07:40:56 PM »

ever since I showed this glue to the resto shop, it's been named "Bob glue"....we use a lot of it

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/2P-10-Bottle-10-oz-48p12826.htm

http://www.fastcap.com/estore/pc/2P-10-Activator-12-oz-Aerosol-48p108.htm

Stewart Van Petten

• View Profile
Emblem Restoration
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2010, 05:55:54 AM »

I use a few types of optically clear adhesives to fit quartz caps on some gem stones. One of the products is a CA called Hot Stuff. You can get it in different thicknesses for different applications. One is extremely thin...thinner than water, the next one is regular thickness and they have a fairly thick product also. I would use the regular or thick for this type of repair.

I also use a very good optically clear epoxy from Huges and associates. I believe that this may be a better product for your repair than CAs. I use it all the time for optical purposes. The MOST important thing is to NOT add any air bubbles to the epoxy when you mix them. It took me quite a while to get my technique down to a science to mix it without adding any air bubbles. First off I store my bottles upside down. Less chance of adding air to the spout when you squirt it onto some glass for mixing. If I see any bubbles in it before mixing I put the glass plate with my two components of epoxy into vacuum to pull out any remaining air bubbles. Then I take a round toothpick and very carefully roll the two components together.

Good luck with your repair!
Polaraco made me do it

Andy

Emblem Restoration
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 07:50:49 PM »

[/QUOTE]

I have been trying to get these stinkin clips off those posts for 4 days now. I've sanded the posts till they look like they're chromed with 2000 and 3500 grit paper. Tried to "carefully" pry those clips off with screwdrivers, thin bladed scrapers, an Exacto knife and a box cutter's blade. I've soaked em in WD 40 and a penetrating oil. Even shot em with carb cleaner in case there was some crud I couldn't see! I tried holding them loosely with a pair of pliers to gently work them off. All they did was turn! They refuse to come off those posts. Any other suggestions?   

This is the original picture I posted before I started to try and remove that *&^#%@* little clip!

Andy

Emblem Restoration
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2010, 12:53:11 PM »

I SURRENDER!
I give up! In the battle of clip vs. man...clip has won!
I have given up trying to get those little so and so clips off the emblems so I've gone to restoring them while in their frames. I sprayed a paper towel with some carb cleaner and rubbed small areas of the paint till it came off, then sprayed the emblem with Simple Green right away to neutralize the carb cleaner. I've yet to wet sand it then polish it off with the PlastX before I paint it.

Took a ride over to a local hobby shop to see what kind of paint I could get to repaint it. I found Chrysler Engine Blue and Chrysler Engine Red. Fitting colors!

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
Emblem Restoration
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »

if you grind them off with a dremel tool  you can pick up barrel clips from Auveco to replace them....the teeth must be really dug in there

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC