MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Getting the RB 383 back  (Read 4141 times)

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2010, 03:09:55 AM »

We don't need no stinkin oil pump rod.

Do we?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2010, 04:08:21 PM »

Not unless you want a rerun of the last 440
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #32 on: November 08, 2010, 06:44:39 AM »

Wow...it seems like 5 steps forward, 3 steps back. Got the engine in, pretty much everything bolted on, just needs belts and the electrical hooked up. WELL, I start putting coolant in, and at about the 2 1/2 gallon point, coolant starts dumping out under the passenger side head. I checked, it's not a freeze plug, unless there is on the head. I thought it was coming out one of the spark plugs at first. ARGH! I'm calling the shop when they open today to discuss this with them, because they were the ones who mounted the heads and torqued them down.

On a side note, could someone with the RB 383 please post a picture of where the PS pump is SUPPOSED to mount? I have it on right now, but it's where the A/C compressor was, so I know it's not the correct spot, but I can't for the life of me remember where it came off from. Thanks!!!!

Snotty

• View Profile
Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #33 on: November 08, 2010, 08:51:34 AM »

Do you have exhaust manifolds on the motor?  If not, that could be where the coolant flowed out if a stud is missing.
It's green here in Chico!!

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #34 on: November 08, 2010, 09:51:03 AM »

See, that's why I sign up for these forums!!! LOL. I'm pretty sure that's where I'm missing the stud! I didn't even think about that.

Snotty

• View Profile
Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2010, 01:48:34 PM »

Don't feel bad - I discovered that little 'trick" merely by accident.  "Where is the coolant coming from?" while holding on to the stud that I just removed. 

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2010, 07:47:29 AM »

Success!!! I put a bolt in there, and another gallon of coolant went in fine. Thats 2.5 gallons thus far, need about another half gallon to a gallon I think to top that off, hook up the wiring and choke, and I should be able to turn it over this weekend. Will post video when that happens.

Snotty

• View Profile
Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »

Ha!  Glad you found the problem!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2010, 09:22:59 AM »

FYI, those heads have freeze plugs in them too.  I have seen them leak from time to time. . .

I would put never sieze on the bolts entering the head.  Or even just some grease.  They will come out allot easier later if needed without breaking them.  Always use Grade 5 on the exhaust manifolds.  They will stand up to the heat better than a grade 8 and are less apt to break when removing them
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2010, 06:41:51 PM »

I'll be sure to keep the freeze plug in the head thing in mind.

Here are a couple of pictures as the engine sits now, full of fluids, all sealed up, just need to hook up the wiring, and it SHOULD be ready to start. That's my plan for Thursday :D

Guests

Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2010, 06:43:22 PM »

Brass or bronze nuts. Dissimilar metals won't seize to each other over time, as another means to prevent the studs from breaking. Only bad one is the special deep socket nut, which the stud doesn't go into the water jacket, never seize those so the stud comes out of the head.

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2010, 12:09:12 PM »

well, going another step backwards. It wanted to fire yesterday, but the starter was going SO SLOW. So went last night, got a new battery, a new starter relay, and a new starter. Got all 3 just to be safe. Got the new starter relay in, got the stock starter out, and learned that the one I had gotten was the wrong one. Went back to the store for a load test (it passed the electrical test but failed the visual. The gear was turning so slowly you could follow the teeth. to find out that I either need to special order a new starter ($300) or have the stock one rebuilt. I'm calling tomorrow about having it rebuilt. And the waiting comtinues. I guess in the meantime I can get the horn in, fix the handle on the drivers side door, and maybe get the new radio in. Fun stuff!!

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2010, 12:16:37 PM »

OH!!! Could someone with this engine please take a shot of where the oil pressure line taps into the engine? That would be awesome!! Thanks

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2010, 12:47:08 PM »

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Getting the RB 383 back
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2010, 02:58:51 PM »

Hmm..interesting. Thank you for the picture, but that does bring up the age old question....THEN WHERE THE HELL AM I LEAKING OIL FROM???? Hmmm...some investigation will need to get underway this week.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC