MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gasket/seals for Small Block?  (Read 497 times)

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
Gasket/seals for Small Block?
« on: March 22, 2010, 12:37:59 AM »

Well, looks like progress may actually be made on the Dart.

I'm starting with a 1974 318 2bbl.  I'm 99% sure it has a couple of burnt valves.  So I got a set of junkyard 318 heads from an '85 5th ave.

Dropped the "new" heads off at my mechanic friends house.  He's going to dissasemble, clean, check, etc.

Here's the question:

Rockauto shows this set for '66-78    http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=124336

This set for '78-89 http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=124332

Will one of these sets work with my new heads/old motor or do I need to pick up things individually.  If so, any suggestions on which gaskets need to match which years?

I guess the most important issue is the valve seals, since he will need those to reassemble the heads.

Thanks,

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 04:59:14 AM »

IIRC they lightened up the castings and may have (?) changed the head
and block design slightly around '82 or '83?  I didn't know there
were changes for '79. Not sure how gaskets were affected by all this...
Leaburn has an '80s Dippy, he might know about the changes.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

glen cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 08:05:26 AM »

Since 1978,the 4 bbl 318 (model E48)Police had the large port (340/360) size heads and the only time a Thermoquad and in some instances a Quadrajet were used on a 318. I'm probaby guessing you have the small port model,unless it was changed at some time. I would order the one with the single intake manifold.
Valve stem diam. was the same through all the years except for the newer magnums. The small port head should have a casting # of 4323302 and the large port head casting # 4323475. Your 74' casting should be 2843675.
owatajrkiam2010-03-22 12:14:44
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Guests

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 09:32:39 AM »

Look between the valve springs and see if there are little bottle cap seals on the valve guide or umbrellas on the valve stems.

How did you figure burned vavles on this engine? Sounds like it was a good idea to take a look at it after all, huh?

Dan Cluley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 07:40:07 PM »

After doing a little more research with the individal part numbers it looks like the main difference is the valve cover gaskets, and the exhaust manifold gaskets.

I have been assuming I could reuse the old valve covers on the newer heads, anybody know why the gaskets would be different?  They look like the same arrangement of holes.

Since we are blocking the little smog ports on the heads and reuseing the '74 exhaust manifolds I'm guessing the older style gaskets are the ones I want?

Quote from: dana44
How did you figure burned vavles on this engine? Sounds like it was a good idea to take a look at it after all, huh?

I've had this car a couple of years and the idle has always been a little rough.  Compression test showed that #6 and #5 are a little low, and #4 has almost no compression.
Ran compressed air in through the sparkplug hole, and could hear it coming out the tailpipe continuously while turning the motor over.
Pulled the valve cover off, and everything seems to move properly, so I'm assuming it's the valve itself.

1965 300 Convertible
1974 Dart Sedan

Guests

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 09:16:07 PM »

Last time I got a gasket set for an LA engine, it had intake and exhaust gaskets for the 318 and 340/360 in it, so it shouldn't be a problem.

glen cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 02:52:42 PM »

I also had both styles of valve seals in mine also along with 360 and 318 style rear main seals. The valve cover gaskets were all the same cork ones from the factory except the E58 360 which had HD reuseable orange rubber style which was easy to pick out at the wreckers.
Most exhausts were the same also,except the later which had the holes under the port for emissions.
Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 04:21:15 PM »

Externally all the blocks are the same.

It really doesn't matter which valve seal you use. . . The ones on the later heads were better.  I'm pretty sure they went with the spring loaded seal, like the magnum went with in the mid to late 80's.

You could buy everything separate. . . . All you need is a standard intake gasket set, head gaskets, valve and valve cover gaskets.  Then you can mic and match.

I believe Glen is right about the later 318 heads.  They were closed chanber on the 86 I took apart
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC