MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: UPDATE!. .It's time for Polaraco. . I'm goin in  (Read 6820 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
UPDATE!. .It's time for Polaraco. . I'm goin in
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2010, 06:53:59 AM »

No. . .they are the ones that came out of the motor. 

The valves on LA's are head lubed.  The magnums are pushrod lubed.  Meaning they have holes in the centers
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stewart Van Petten

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »

So you believe that the cam is so much out of phase that it bottomed the exhaust vales on the pistons which in turn bent the push rods?

I would be pretty ticked at the cam manufacturer or timing gear manufacturer depending on which one is out of wack. I have not ever had this type of problem with my engine buildups...especially with a street oriented type of camshaft...usually they are plug and play.
Polaraco made me do it

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2010, 12:44:00 PM »

Ummm........ I just had a brain fart.
What ratio rockers did you end up using?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2010, 02:52:13 PM »

Quote from: Rockwerx
So you believe that the cam is so much out of phase that it bottomed the exhaust vales on the pistons which in turn bent the push rods?

It's my fault.  I didn't read the distructions.  The cam had to be phased and I didn't bother to do that.  Apparently, a normal cam as you and I know it, is not what they do at Hughes.  But I couldn't find what I wanted anywhere without allot of BS or waiting 8 weeks.

I am sorry to say I fudged up and it's entirely my fault.  It's aff about 2 teeth.

Quote from: Commando1
Ummm........ I just had a brain fart.

I used the stock 1.6's Stan.   I didn't put the rollers in yet, but I will when the dust settles and I get my bills paid for this job.  I have over 2 grand into this motor and care not to spend any more right now.

Well!  Now that that is over with. . . .

The good news is, all the cylinders have 125 PSI compression across the board, dry.  Wet takes them up to 150.

I have a buddy coming over tomorrow to set the cam for me, and could probably have it running late tomorrow.  I stole the push rods I needed out of the old motor, saved the gaskets, and it's all back together again.

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2010, 03:21:13 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Quote from: Commando1

I used the stock 1.6's
I thought 1.5 was stock...

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2010, 03:42:51 PM »

make sure the other pushrods are open (clean) for oiling

Stan gets his bomb suit ready......

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

glen cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2010, 05:08:25 PM »

The 1.6 ratio is stock on the magnums and you can even move up to 1.7's, although you maybe getting into playing russian roulette without checking piston to valve clearance and problems with coil bind. 1.5 ratio is stock on the LA style small blocks. Good to see you got it figured out steve. It takes alot to bend those pushrods as they are hardened.

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Guests

« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2010, 06:24:53 PM »

I think I remember saying check the piston to valve clearance, but it wouldn't have been a correct reading because the cam was in the wrong location anyway, so maybe it was a good fact the pushrods bent and you learned a little bit about Hughes cam cutters. Not really sure how a billet core can be reground smaller than stock (your profile literally sits inside the stock camshaft, bottom side was removed to add the lift, durations are shorter than stock), so I just don't know how they could have cut it so it was two whole teeth off (that's about 30 degrees out of wack, an awful lot for a regrind). 

Take all the pushrods and verify they are OK by rolling them down a glass sheet, wabbles will be noticeable quickly. Keep at it, almost there.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »

Yup Yup and Yup

Replaced all the bent exhaust rods.  They are obviously bent.  The intakes were perfect.

Glen, these are not hardened.  Thank goodness.  Hardened would be an upgrade, which this motor may never see.

I am going to stay with the 1.6.  It's not worth the risk at this point.  But I will be upgrading to roller rockers in time.  Makes too much sense.

I have another 360 that I will be doing this too all over again.  Except the raised dome pistons.  I am thinking about converting that to rollers as well.  That's the one I have planned for the 68 Fury.

I guess this explains the hard spots I was talking about.  I suspect I may have started to bent the push rods a bit on the engine stand.  A considerable amout of torque is transmitted through the engine.  I serously doubt any significant damage was done to the pistons.  

POLARACO2010-03-28 13:06:32

Guests

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2010, 09:13:40 PM »

Yep, boviously bent! I am surprised you didn't see them this way before the intake was put on. Anyway, thank God for a weak point and slow hard turning over. Get her dialed in properly, bet they won't touch after that.  How did you figure it was about two teeth off?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2010, 05:39:13 AM »

Seat-0-DEE-Pants Guesstimate.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2010, 12:04:46 PM »

We went ove this thing with the degree wheel twice.  Everyone who was intimantly involved, hands on, all saw the same thing.  It fell right back in the same place it was when we took it apart.

%@%^$#&^%$&^#%$#!#@!%$

Now what?  It makes no sense at all.  It came right back to Dot to Dot.

I'm going to get a 2* key for a magnum, everything we had was for an LA.  But I am willing to bet this cam is cut wrong.  It could be the lobes are reversed.  But that didn't make any sense either!

POLARACO2010-03-28 17:08:10

Stewart Van Petten

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2010, 12:48:06 PM »

Sounds correct...but you have to know for sure that your cam is in phase. Do you have special plug or a way to determine the exact top dead center of number 1 piston?
Polaraco made me do it

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2010, 03:53:54 PM »

We retimed the whole thing again.  I have to get a 2* key for the cam, and we'll see.  But yes, we know when it's on top.  Give or take 1/2 a degree

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2010, 05:57:14 PM »

This is annoying the crap outa me.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 13   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC