MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: UPDATE!. .It's time for Polaraco. . I'm goin in  (Read 6873 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
UPDATE!. .It's time for Polaraco. . I'm goin in
« Reply #45 on: March 26, 2010, 07:50:33 AM »

Thanks Bob, but that's not it at all.  If anything, I should have more compression.

TJ and I went over this motor several times to be sure all the timing is on the mark.  That and when I put the distributor and pump gear in, I double checked it again. 

The timing gear points at #1 Cylinder.  The distributor #1 points at #8.  When we rotaed the engine 360*, the dist was 180* and the #1 exhaust valve was open.

It doesn't get better than that
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 26, 2010, 02:02:05 PM »

Well it's official sports fans.  For the first time, with all the engines I have done over the years, I screwed up.

Found 2 problems.

All 8 injectors were stuck.  I put the 5.2injectors.

BUT!  I bent all the exhaust push rods.  Oh Oh

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 26, 2010, 02:56:41 PM »

oh no!!!   Sorry to hear about the bent push rods, Steve.  that sux big time :(

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Stewart Van Petten

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2010, 02:58:45 PM »

Yikes, not good. Wrong parts or out of sync? Were the valves hitting the pistons to cause the rods to bend?
Polaraco made me do it

Guests

« Reply #49 on: March 26, 2010, 04:40:54 PM »

Yeah, how did that manage to occur? Ain't no way a less than .500 lift cam would be able to do that, so was there a touching or something? I am pretty sure the ratio wasn't too great, so talk to us.

Enquiring minds would like to know, and see, as far as the injectors go, you just never know if NOS parts are bad when not hermetically sealed or in a controlled environment.

Still curious about these pushrods being bent.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2010, 04:47:48 PM »

According to Hughes, that cam needs to be tuned in manually.  This is not a dot to dot cam.

The good news is the cylinders seem to hold a leak down.  At least on the even bank.  A buddy of mine has the timing tools for the cam, he's coming over Sunday.  I can steal the push rods out of the 5.2 to close it up.

I have to fix my leak down hose because it leaks, but I don't feel/hear anything going on at the intake or the exhaust.  I need to take my left exhaust manifold off because I can't get to the discharge with some cigarette smoke to chack for drafts.

But you can just tell

Guests

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2010, 05:53:10 PM »

I am a little upset by this happening myself. I thought Hughes was a little better company than this, any cam should be capable of dropping in and two dots lined up without a problem (so the question comes up, did you have multiple keyways for the cam and go too far advanced or retarded?). Your cam card says 111degrees centerline, so there is a little bit of bleed-off (cams are usually around 107ish, but that is more performance vice mileage and bottom end power centerline). It will be interesting to know how far off this 111 degrees you are.

Like I said last night, check the injectors (good call on my part), and like I think I questioned was the cam timing (dot to dot should have been good, but it wasn't).

Standing by for more results.
Ed

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2010, 06:46:14 PM »

Quote from: dana44
I am a little upset by this happening myself. I thought Hughes was a little better company than this, any cam should be capable of dropping in and two dots lined up without a problem (so the question comes up, did you have multiple keyways for the cam and go too far advanced or retarded?). Your cam card says 111degrees centerline, so there is a little bit of bleed-off (cams are usually around 107ish, but that is more performance vice mileage and bottom end power centerline). It will be interesting to know how far off this 111 degrees you are.

Like I said last night, check the injectors (good call on my part), and like I think I questioned was the cam timing (dot to dot should have been good, but it wasn't).

Standing by for more results.

I was a quite a bit surprised myself.  The cam only has one key in it.  The gear however is the standard multi.  I'll find out tomorrow when I get the front off the motor.  Good thing I have anther can of paint.  LOL

As far as the injectors are concerned, they were all stuck.  The coils are good, but the plungers are stuck with old varnish.  I would imagine if I soaked them in some laquar thinner, I could free them up.  But I got 8 new ones coming.  I did flush them out with some 2+2 before I installed them, but I guess they need some ultrasound cleaning.  Maybe I'll use my wifes jewery cleaner.  LOL

I found a deal on them, I got some 30 Pound per hour injectors for 200 bucks delivered.  Looked like someone was cleaning out some inventory.  Found them, of all places, Amaxon.  They are high performance injectors.  I'll see if I can find the link

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2010, 06:47:13 PM »

By the way

Bob. . . You hit that one on the head I guess.  Good call.  That was my first instinct too when I heard it spin.

Guests

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2010, 07:01:39 PM »

[/QUOTE]

I was a quite a bit surprised myself.  The cam only has one key in it.  The gear however is the standard multi.  I'll find out tomorrow when I get the front off the motor.  Good thing I have anther can of paint.  LOL

As far as the injectors are concerned, they were all stuck.  The coils are good, but the plungers are stuck with old varnish.  I would imagine if I soaked them in some laquar thinner, I could free them up.  But I got 8 new ones coming.  I did flush them out with some 2+2 before I installed them, but I guess they need some ultrasound cleaning.  Maybe I'll use my wifes jewery cleaner.  LOL

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if the old molasses would clean them up?

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 26, 2010, 07:43:14 PM »

I would stand the injectors up and soak just the tips in Berkbile 2+2, and put an eyedropper full in the tops to break up the inner gunk....don't let any get into the body or electronics.

I figured the cam timing because you said loss of compression and that would point to the phasing being off. Hi-Perf cams bug me when they end up like this.....they should sell special  cam gears to go with the modified cams, but they don't

stitcherbob2010-03-26 23:45:10
They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 26, 2010, 07:59:43 PM »

I thought about it Bob. . .But I am just going to throw them in a round baggie and call it quits on those.  Beisdes. I could smell the stale gas in them after I introduced fress gas again.  It will take a long time to free them up.

Molasas?  LOL  Is that like sugar in the gas tank?  LOL

Guests

« Reply #57 on: March 26, 2010, 09:25:11 PM »

I figure if it gets the rust off the ring gear and stuff pictures the way it did, should work on them, too. Not like it would do any harm if it doesn't work, does it? Not like you can take them apart and clean them as such, so what the heck?

Still bugged by the cam though. I have put together over 30 cams at least over the year, and the only time I had a problem, once, was a TRW cam back in the early 80s that had a bad grind on it, but it just ran bad, but not like this. This is just bad all the way around. I would assume, as I have seen in the past, that the different teeth were still marked properly so I could tell if I were advancing or retarding from stock marks on the cam gear itself. Don't tell me you had some Chinese piece that wasn't marked or something like that?

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2010, 03:05:32 AM »

That really really sux, Steve.  I'd have gone and killed a few Steel Reserves but you jumped right back in.  Attaboy.

OK.  I'm confused.
The pushrods are bent.
And Hughes says it's because you installed it the way you're supposed to.
Uh-uh.  Bull.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2010, 04:48:18 AM »

These are roller lifter motors....maybe the pushrods were mislabled and were for a regular LA motor and not a Maggy?

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 13   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC