MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: super lo-mile 318  (Read 754 times)

glen cyr

• View Profile
super lo-mile 318
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 05:21:54 PM »

Those springs are original low-po valve springs. Some 360 4 bbls and all 340's had the hp springs w/damper and are not greenish turqoise. Some Big blocks were the same,low-po's got the greenish springs which coil bind happens fast when you throw in a higer lift cam. Those valve covers were probably leaking from day one. The new magnum covers sure eliminates that problem altogether. Looks like a very clean engine you got there and i would not hesitate to use it with some new gaskets. I've been into 340's for over 35 yrs now and the bottom ends on those 318's are just as tough as any 340 as even the 318 cast crank is overkill.The rods are just as good as any Big Block Chev rod and even the stock pistons can take repeated 6,000+ rpm blasts. The reason the big and small block mopars can take a crankshaft with a very large stroke is because the cam /crank centerline is so far apart compared to a chev or ford. They could only wish!!

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
super lo-mile 318
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 06:54:28 PM »

Makes for better torque.  They have to stroke to get the torque the base 2 BBL 318 has.

318's, done right can be allot of fun.

I'm taking the Maggie 5.2 and putting that in the 50 and going to do a 360 up like this Maggie 5.9 for the 68 Fury.  That and the 4 speed will really make a nice combination.  Only I may not push the torque quite as much as I did on the Maggie.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC