MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Update on my '59 Toga  (Read 667 times)

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Update on my '59 Toga
« on: February 16, 2010, 07:36:55 AM »

Well, it's been a while since I've been on here. My friend and I tore into my 59 Saratoga the past couple of weeks, and I wanted to post some pictures along the way, maybe get some input from people who have done a lot more work on these cars than I have! LOL!

Couple of weekends ago, prepping. Draining, taking off what I could.

Yesterday, ready to come out...or so we thought. There was still one transmission bold that was hiding from us, we got it though.

IT"S OUT!!!! Freakin beast!

As it sits now. I'm going to be taking apart little by little, hopefully have the block, valves, and crank into a shop for machining next month :D

Any tips, suggestions, or heads up on things to expect would be great!

Also, got these to go on when I'm putting everything back together:

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Update on my '59 Toga
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2010, 08:14:31 AM »

Those motor mounts are kind of cool. Easy to work with.

I remember those days on mine
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Snotty

• View Profile
Update on my '59 Toga
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2010, 08:40:08 AM »

I love the valve covers.  Is that the RB '59 383?  A rare beast if so!
It's green here in Chico!!

Jessica

• View Profile
Update on my '59 Toga
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2010, 10:24:03 AM »

OoOoOooohhh... shiny!

Looking great! Thanks for posting your progress with us, and looking forward to seeing more! :)

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Update on my '59 Toga
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2010, 04:58:57 PM »

These are the newest pictures as the engine sits tonight. My son (4 years old) and I tinkered for about 15 minutes, got the intake manifold and the valve covers off.

And I had to test fit the valve covers :D The dang things have 2 extra holes on the bottom corners. Nothing that a dremel can't fix though. I like em!

More to come. I'm planning on having it all torn down by the end of the month, the block, valvetrains and crankshaft into the shop for machining in March, and start reassembly in April, for a very hopeful "unveil" at the Cruise-in on memorial day weekend. I have some brake work to do, and get the ventilation working again (maybe some new audio too) Thanks for the comments!!!

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Update on my '59 Toga
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »

Tonights update: got the cover off the top, and I THINK all the bolts from the heads, but they don't want to come off. Can anybody tell me if I got all the bolts? There were 8 along the bottom on the outside of the head, and 4 down inside the head in between the valves for each cylinder. Thanks!

Onto the pics of how the engine sits now:

Guests

Update on my '59 Toga
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 06:22:13 PM »

You have a total of nine bolts inside the valve cover area, just above the rocker shaft, a total of nine inside, eight below the sparkplugs. Pull the rocker shafts off and you will see them, and from the looks of it, these heads have either been ported or sandpaper roll polished, between the little bit of shiny and the fact the ports look to match pretty close. Get them off and send more pictures, let's see what they are....closed chamber is where I put my money, four valve cover heads were last used in 65 or 66, helped identify the larger exhaust valve in the 67 engine I believe?

Stick the end of something wood into a port (after the 17bolts removed) and give it a tug. Might want to thread one long bolt into a short bolt location to keep it from flying off the engine . Makes for good head control.

And I just noticed, your rocker arms are on the aluminum pedistals, cool!dana442010-02-17 23:26:15

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Update on my '59 Toga
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:50:02 PM »

Thanks for the advice Dana!!!! I was able to get the heads off tonight. Almost ready to flip it over and finish this up! Onto todays progress pics:

Drivers side:

Passenger side:

Head on block:

What I did to celebrate/ relax:

Guests

Update on my '59 Toga
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 06:01:38 PM »

Nice, and closed chamber heads, which is good. Looks like valve stem seals are getting a little weak, a common problem with them, but the vavles theselves look overall good, a tiny bit of combustion chamber work would help. Look at the way there is a crud build-up right at the spot where the quench area starts (actually all around the edge of the head gasket), and then clean all the way out to the outside (a small area compared to some head designs, but still there). The crud builds up because of that 3/32nds inch step on the edge that if removed, burns cleaner and adds a little power, gives a very distinctive tone, too. Otherwise, nothing out of the ordinary from the looks of it. And from the looks of it, no need for replacement valves or the expense of hardened valve seats (as I maintain is due to the quality materials these engines were built with).

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Update on my '59 Toga
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 04:56:25 AM »

Flipped it over last night and did some work to the bottom end. Well...took off the oil pan and took out the oil screen. Wasn't feeling the best after supper, so the pics are a little delayed:

There is quite a few years of sludge built up in the oil pan, but I was expecting that. As you can see in the last picture here, and the same angle from a couple days ago, I had to clean up some...I completely forgot that the block holds coolant too, so that went EVERYWHERE.

Side question: Is it important to have the engine at TDC and timing marked out when tearing this down? Since the crank and cam are coming out anyway, I'm unsure if this needs to be done. Thanks for the help and comments guys!!!!

Rob Molloy

• View Profile
Update on my '59 Toga
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2010, 06:13:41 PM »

Well, as of tonight, engine is 100% apart. Everything is out, and stuff is set aside to go to the machine shop as soon as I get the new lifters, and gasket set in. On to the pics!

Hopefully I'll be able to start getting it back together in the next couple of weeks. The weather has been nicer out here in the Northwest, and I've been wanting to cruise....oh well. It will be worth it when it's done!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC