MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: rack and pinion?  (Read 748 times)

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
rack and pinion?
« on: January 05, 2010, 05:35:48 AM »

Ok. Decided to stick with the stock torsion bar suspension, but I am still not a fan of the steering...Anyone done or heard of a rack and pinion upgrade? I have been looking at the custom length setups, which would give me the exact geometry needed to keep bump steer at bay...Anyone have any experience with this?
"faster and faster until the fear of death is overcome by the thrill of speed"

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
rack and pinion?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 06:52:35 AM »

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
rack and pinion?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 07:01:19 AM »

Thats exactly what I was looking at....

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
rack and pinion?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 07:26:31 AM »

You are going to have to write them.  They don't make a Rack and Pinion for B's or C's of the older vintage.

I wrote them a while back and never heard back
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
rack and pinion?
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 07:34:50 AM »

It looks like I have to mail them one of there order forms. I will have to fabricate the mounts for the rack, and get the right ends....Plus fabricate a new column linkage....Still rack and pinion has a much tighter feel to it and its somthing I am more familiar with.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
rack and pinion?
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 08:15:48 AM »

They had mounts at the bottom of the page.  As long as it clears the oil pan and is not too far back, it's a great idea.  I have been wanting to do that to Polaraco. . .  But it got put on the back burner for a few other projects.

Excellent upgrade.

Ken

• View Profile
rack and pinion?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 02:18:38 PM »

Get a Stage 1 steering box from Firm Feel, it'll be plenty tight for you.  That's about the best thing for C-body cars at the moment.

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Herman

• View Profile
rack and pinion?
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:57:52 AM »

C-body stuff won't fit.
A '62 Chrysler is not a 'C-body platform'.

Guests

rack and pinion?
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 07:51:25 PM »

Since I am not too familiar with the C bodies, what is the difference between them and the B bodies?

I need someone to edumakate me on this one. I would assume (stupid me) that the B body ones would work, maybe just a little wider at the tierod ends, larger diameter on the threads and swedges?

Snotty

• View Profile
rack and pinion?
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 08:42:17 PM »

Quote from: dana44
Since I am not too familiar with the C bodies, what is the difference between them and the B bodies?

I was just asked this the other day.  The B Body front end pieces look half the size of a C Body.  Everything works the same, and is replaced in the same manner, but the C's a re just so much beefier.

But the C's officially started in '65.  Parts from them do not fit on the earlier full-sized Chryslers without much modifications.
It's green here in Chico!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
rack and pinion?
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2010, 06:08:24 AM »

Well. . . .

Construction wise, both have sub frames, but the B Body is just cross members where the C has full rails going back to the body.  The inner fenders and box frame are unitized on the A, B, E's.

Herman. . .I know the 62's are not C's, But the rail width is about the same.  The design is similar up to 81.  I think you'll find allot of C stuff will fit nicely.

Guests

rack and pinion?
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 06:36:12 PM »

OK, thanks, and what I am thinking, back to the '62 goes, is the rails actually being one of the last subframe/or full frame Chryslers/Imperials, etc. (Pre C body, early Dodge is the same, Custom 880 comes to mind here), so then the two questions are, width from spindle/lower balljoint connection to spindle/lower balljoint connection of the tierod ends compared to the B bodies and whether or not the tierod swedge/taper connection is the same size or, as I suspect, larger.  I know the steering boxes are physically the same shape/size connection, ratio may be different, so column connection wouldn't be an issue, so simple tierod and width is the possible change needed, and I have a way to fix that issue when we get there.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC