MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hemi VS 440 Big Block  (Read 836 times)

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
New Hemi VS 440 Big Block
« on: December 30, 2009, 05:43:52 PM »

Split from thread in drivtrain: I am planning on upgrading my 361 to something with more grunt, and I would really like to go fuel injection for drivability...So I was thinking latemodel Hemi with the multi port EFI out of a newer car or truck...OR I could get a 440 or the like, and upgrade with a FAST EFI kit or something like that. In the end, the kits would probably be about the same amount of money, but the Hemi swap would be much more work. I am looking for about 350-400 horsepower, and economy is a factor although not a make or break...Thoughts?
"faster and faster until the fear of death is overcome by the thrill of speed"

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 06:19:28 PM »

I have no problem with a late model Hemi. . .  There are wire harnesses available to plug and play.  But like your trans question, if you go auto, you need a harness/ECM that will drive the trans as well.
However, look for one that has the MDS built in.  The Hemi by it self is a pig.  The MDS is where it get's it's mileage from.  Look for a harness /ECM that has the MDS and will drive the automatic.  Then you will be ready to go.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 06:25:35 PM »

Sounds like the way to go....I was thinking of gettting the entire package, with all the computers and wiring and swapping it all in at the same time....

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 03:47:26 AM »

I've priced those packages.  Hope you're sitting down when you see them...

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 05:39:17 AM »

EFI:  Expensive Fuel Injection.

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 06:07:05 AM »

If you buy all new, then yes, VERY expensive. But if you are familiar with fuel injection and what it takes to make it work (I am) you can adapt a complete pullout from a rollover. You can get the pullout plus everything to make it work for about 3500 bucks....

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 06:37:44 AM »

Agreed  I did it, but not on a Cam Buss System like these newer Mopars are using.  The Cam Buss is a nightmare to adapt.  It's not the engine, it's all the other crap involved.  May require a special tune.

I doubt you could wire the whole car with that. . . . There's allot of functions missing.

There is an article in this months Mopar Action Magizine of a guy who did this to a charger.  Lookk it up.  The car is Plum Purple.

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2010, 06:43:51 AM »

Yep. You need the engine, trans, both computers, the drive by wire gas pedal, ALL the sensors that come with the engine, a high pressure return style fuel system, not to mention all the wiring hookups and the speedo, trans linkage ect...And you are right, it would need a tune specific to the weight of the car and the rearend....LOTS of work! I still think it would give the best balance of power and economy though...

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 07:19:47 AM »

It's more than that with Can Buss.  You need all the body functions as well.

I suggest you look up the article in Mopar Action and write to Rick Eherenburg as I mentioned earlier.  He'll fix you up.  I wrote him last night to let him know you were going to contact him.  Attached the link

Tom Dawson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2010, 06:27:47 PM »

if you go with the new Hemi and want fuel injection you will have to opt for the FAST system, big throttle body(over 1000 CFM), but, can not use the MDS, for the trans, go with the small block 727(need adapter plate and use a gear vendors over/under drive system) I have decided to go this route with the Fury when the time comes to start and finish her.
Tom

They loved him up and turned him into a horny toad( O Brother Where Art Thou? )

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2010, 06:34:57 PM »

What is you reasoning for using stand alone fuel injection and the 727? If I was going to do that, I could just use the parts I already have, and I won't get the benefits of multi port fuel injection....Plus, the gear vendors plus the stand alone are as much as the entire pullout...I know that route would be easier, but what other reasons are there?

Guests

« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2010, 08:53:13 PM »

Nothing wrong with a 361 and closed chamber heads, steel crank and such (all 383 parts fit less pistons), FAST would be the cheapest way to accomplish EFI compared to a full swap of engine and tranny, although they do have the engine mounts, oil pan to clear everything, but floor pan tunnel and tranny mount would need alteration, fun with a shifter, few things like that, but hey, isn't that what custom is all about?
Ed
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC