MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: late model drivetrain swap  (Read 4432 times)

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
late model drivetrain swap
« on: December 27, 2009, 11:53:00 PM »

I have decided that the thing to do with my 62 newport is a complete drivetrain swap. Between the 361 big block, the tranny that needs a rebuild, and the crazy high geared rearend, I get about 8 miles per gallon. I want power, fuel economy, and reliability, so I was thinking a late model dodge/chrysler hemi swap. I am thinking about taking everything from a rollover dodge ram, or somthing like that. I am mostly tracking the engine and tranny, my specific question is what its going to take to swap in the complete rear end assembly. I am tracking it might have to be narrowed and all that, what I was concerned with is addapting it to fit the same leaf springs. Can I remove the spring pads on the old housing and transfer them? Does this question better belong in a hot rod forum? Can anyone think of anything else that will be painful about the rearend install? I was planning on doing most of the build myself, but with all the hostile fire and immenant danger pay, I can probably afford almost anything when I get home....
"faster and faster until the fear of death is overcome by the thrill of speed"

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 02:07:24 AM »

Hey there.  Long time no hear

The rear isn't going to fit.  It's way too wide for that body.  Tupically an E body, 70 to 74 would bolt right in..  But the truck is much wider and the spring purches are way off and too big.  You'll have a very low rider in the rear.

You can find lots of B body open rears around, most a 276's.  Move the spring purchases on one of those.

You think that 361 sucks on fuel, wait until upi put that 350 Hemi in there.

I did this to my 62 a long time ago.  Lemme think about this.  Maybe you can find a nice 383 and work it alittle to get what you want.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 03:24:26 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO

You think that 361 sucks on fuel, wait until upi put that 350 Hemi in there.
He's referring to the new-gen Hemi, you Bozo....

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:45:41 AM »

I know Nit. . . . They are not that good in carburation, but good with injection if he is using the MDS and all that goop.

That's what today's 5.7 Hemi's are!  350's!

If he is going to use the computer from the donor, then he will have a real nightmare on his hands.  Then find a 2 wheel drive donor!  He can't use a 4 wheel drive trans in that car. . .

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 03:50:59 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
I know Nit. . . .
That's what today's 5.7 Hemi's are!  350's!

Commando12009-12-28 13:54:05

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 06:29:59 AM »

Ok. So what about if I find a rollover 300, or magnum with the hemi...The track width should be a lot closer....Although if its that easy to source another C cars rearend then I can just do that. I was just thinking if I already buy the rollover, I would have the rearend...Speaking of, is it possible to take the perches off, or do I have to try and find some that are the same width? By the way, I am planning on doing the whole swap, computer, efi, drive by wire, tranny, tranny computer, fuel tank and pump, the whole nine....

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 06:32:50 AM »

Ok wait...I just read the original reply...I can move the purchases....These long days are killing me!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 06:44:25 AM »

They're independant rear suspensions.  But it would definately be a vast improvement over the leaf if you want to go to that much trouble.

Measure the rear on the Chrysler.  See if this will help you too.
http://www.moparfins.com/Repairs/8-3-4_Rebuilding/Information_on_Mopar_Rears.htm

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2009, 06:50:23 AM »

Independant is probably more work than I want to do....The rest of the swap is going to be time consuming enough as it is...I will measure the rearend as soon as I get back from Afghanistan...And yes, I think the article will help, thanks.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 06:59:14 PM »

A '62 Newport should have a rear of no greater than 2.92-1, 3.23-1 on a RARE occasion.  If you're getting bad mileage I doubt your problem lies there, unless you've swapped the 3rd member for something much higher.

The '62s were known for good gas mileage.  The New Yorker won the prize for luxury car class with 18 MPG in '62, a rate I achieved on several occasion in the one I owned, and that with a 413.  If you're running a 361 and stock rear, your problem is not the set-up. 

JMO
It's green here in Chico!!

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 07:20:44 PM »

The guy that had the car before me did some stuff to it...undocumented, poor workmanship stuff...Like wierd house paint skulls....Anyway, I am pulling 3800 rpm at 70 on the freeway, so I know the ratio is not stock....I also know that the engine and tranny need a rebuild, so since I would have to pull them anyway, and I am going to have deployment money burning a hole in my pocket, I figured I might go for some fuel injection, and a 5 speed automatic at the same time....My buddy get 20 MPG in his Dodge Ram Hemi Sport on the freeway, and that truck weight at least 5000 pounds....Plus he still has 350 horsepower on tap! Believe me though, the first thing getting changed is the rearend...I was always a fan of 2.73s....Nice highway cruising.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 07:16:57 AM »

I sort of agree with Snotty.  The 413 was a better engine than the 361. 

I think you did this already, but try installing electronic ignition on a good distributor.  You're going to get crappy mileage just cruising around the base.  That thing needs to breath and stretch it's legs.  When they get all carboned up, the mileage will fall also.  Use some cylinder decarboning agent, like Sea Foam (Wal-Mart automotive dept.)  and see if that get's the snot back.  Or take it out and just run it down the highway for 300 miles.  I would still sea foam it before the trip though.

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 07:37:01 AM »

Did the seafoam thing, and an electronic distributor was one of the first things I swapped. It also has a dual exhaust that is free flowing now, as well as an aluminum manifold and small four barrel carb. I run it on the freeway, but as I said, its roaring at 70. Even at 60 I have to push her to maintain speed....The gears just aren't cut out for highway cruising...I can't help but thinking that a swap to modern mulit port EFI, an overdrive trans, and changing the rear gears would net better economy and reliability than I have now....Plus the great throttle response of EFI is something to get used too....

Jon Doersch

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 07:38:46 AM »

sorry....an electronic ignition, on a new distributor....

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 07:42:25 AM »

and the carb works good?

You can try what I mentioned and also try leaning out the mixture screws a tad.  They should only be around 1 1/2 turns out from stop.  That will suck down gas too
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC