MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Performance/economy upgrades for Mopar Small Block  (Read 13670 times)

Guests

Performance/economy upgrades for Mopar Small Block
« Reply #255 on: October 31, 2010, 08:07:26 PM »

Just like the 727 leakdown, some times are more severe than others, so it may be something to do with the location of the lifters and ability to bleed down. An engine does not stop in exactly the same piston to TDC location each time, so maybe that has something to do with it.  If you could put number one at TDC each time you stopped and this never happens again great, but if the same thing happens occasionally, well, what can I say?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 20, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »

Well, I finally got back on Polaraco

Found an intake leak.  TJ and I realized we needed to over tighten  the intake.  Bummer.  But it stopped the vacuum leaks and probably the coolant loss I had.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: June 07, 2011, 07:33:28 PM »

I can easily thake them out as I used strap clamps.  I needed them for state inspection anyway.  I mean it's never been inspected in 4 years and as a daily, it's supposed to be.  Uh Huh. . .I bad  45,000 miles and not one cop has questioned it.  Even when driving through check points.

Guests

« Reply #258 on: June 07, 2011, 07:37:19 PM »

Now, didn't I swear the higher compression and cheaper gas was very plausible when the combustion chamber is done properly? Glad to hear you finally got a few more bugs worked out of her. A few here a few there, they all come to an end when you actually get to them, huh?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 07, 2011, 08:11:02 PM »

Yeah, but delibrately creating back pressure?  I realize some of the gasses stay in the cylinders like this.  There are therorys that some back pressure makes an engine more efficient

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #260 on: June 08, 2011, 04:23:42 AM »

I know in the old days correct back pressure was said to be important
to prevent valve burning, not sure it it holds true in more modern
engines tho.

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Guests

« Reply #261 on: June 08, 2011, 09:55:52 AM »

Steve, you have to remember that the sensors themselves require a certain temp to function and the computer is out of calibration if not at these certain temps. One easy way to do this is to simply slow down the flow rate out the exhaust (ported heads do flow better), so it was a matter of getting the engine to operate in the temp range to operate correctly. One could have been a higher temp thermostat to slow the water flow down, another is a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to raise the temp. As a big side note, the use of a carburetor would be excellent in this case, allowing the engine to run as cool as possible and produce more power at the same time. If adjusting the exhaust to slow down and basically countersink using the exhaust instead of the water temp itself, well, yeah, not really my favorite way to do it, but oh well.

Now, a full shakedown of performance and mileage is in order. No rush, at your convenience, I know you have a lot going on.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: June 08, 2011, 12:54:01 PM »

By the way Lea. . .That flat spot you were complaining about is gone since I put the converters in too.  Go figure

Guests

« Reply #263 on: June 08, 2011, 01:32:05 PM »

Things are probably OK for now, I can understand the transmission shifting and stuff, but you know there is a little kit to allow the tranny shifting without a whole puter to do it, right? Mopar is easy, along with the 700R4, it is the phord that is complex.

I would figure the flat spot you noted was because the flow was too fast and the throttle position to O2 sensor was too slow, making it react slower and thus a flat spot.

I would figure a truck or van OBD2 PCM would have the fewest add-on body computers to deal with, but my comment about the carb was the fact engines can handle bigger swings in changes than the computer engines and can be a lot more tolerant overall. On the other side of that, it is hard to beat the ease in starting and cold start of an injected engine. The aftermarket setup you showed before is kind of going backwards because it is the throttle body injection setup, which is OK for an older carb'd engine upgrade, but after thinking about it this long, why go from individual port injection to a fake carb injection setup?

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: June 08, 2011, 01:36:26 PM »

The TBI I was talking about was for the Diamond.  The system I am talking about now is MPI.  Not backwards at all.  It's programable with a complete harness

Guests

« Reply #265 on: June 08, 2011, 01:44:40 PM »

OK, I missed that, Blue Diamond will do just fine with the aftermarket setup because is it a carbureted intake to begin with and that is what the system is designed to replace, a carb.

I got my '95 Dakota running and all that, and compared to some of them, the wiring isn't that bad. The engine harness itself is pretty simple and would be an easier swap even though it is OBD1, not OBD2, which is '96 and above.

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: June 09, 2011, 04:14:25 AM »

To me the whole advantage of running a '60s or early 70s car is the
lack of computers, EFI and all that junk. Some maintain that no EFI has
the direct response of a properly set up carb, I dunno, but I sure do
like the simplicity and lack of electronics, and mpg doesn't matter
that much if you're not commuting 30+ mi every  day. One upgrade I
do like is Pertronix, 'cause it's simpler that what it replaces. 
I do confess to being something of a throwback in general, however,
with my '50s house, '50s stove, '60s WE phones, '50s tube stereos and
mostly old cars, all of which I can still work on and are made to be
repaired.  The new car is worked on by the dealer. My motto is
KISS!  If Polaraco were mine, it'd be back to the  750 Edy!
firedome2011-06-09 09:16:03
Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Jason Goldsack

• View Profile
« Reply #267 on: June 09, 2011, 06:48:13 AM »

I like the idea of Fuel Injection.. My '65 will be going that direct when I can afford it..

Jason

(Eileen)1965 Chrysler Windsor, 361/727/2.76 16.49 @ 86 mph

Guests

« Reply #268 on: June 09, 2011, 07:51:10 AM »

Firedome, I am with you about 90 percent. I have a cell phone because my daughter has a big plan and she wanted to be able to contact the wife, sister,, and myself when she wanted to, we are separated by 350 miles. I won't buy a new car these days, I will fix old. I like the convenience of the EFI and roller cams (don't forget roller cams), and the systems aren't that hard to really set up, the newer ones just have so gosh darn extra stuff to them it isn't funny, it all ties together. My buddy got a Lightning engine and transmission without the truck, along with the wiring and smog stuff. His harness for a 2001 filled a garbage can and a half, and is about 55 pounds of wiring and connectors. My Dakota, '95, including the whole dash and headlight assembly comes in at seven pounds, and they both do the same thing! Forget that, a simple timing, injector and sensor setup and computer (to control that would be nice), and nothing else would be really great. His, we had to buy software to get past the security system so he could get it running without squirting gas into it. We have some smog/gas tank purge valve stuff that has to be installed/set up to function properly.

Pertronics is good, I have Unilite by Mallory, which is the original in the distributor electronic ignition that didn't look like it. What with the way electronics get so inexpensive, I am still surprised an EFI system, aftermarket, isn't less than $1000 complete. Some day.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: June 09, 2011, 11:34:56 AM »

It's supposed to give you 30% more HP and Torque
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC