MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Performance/economy upgrades for Mopar Small Block  (Read 13093 times)

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Performance/economy upgrades for Mopar Small Block
« on: December 21, 2009, 01:18:20 PM »

Gentlemen. . .I moved these posts to the appropriate place and got the other thread back on track.

This is about making inexpensive improvements to a small block Mopar, 318, 340, 360 to improve street driveability and economy.  It's going to be allot of fun when done.  I'll have to do this to the Maggie in Polaraco bevore I put it in the 68F3

Glen  Oh Glen!!!   I need some help here on pistons.

You know I am into MPG.  The 5.9 was always a pig.  So I am building a 5.9 for Polaraco.  I just needs a slight ommph on the hills.  The 5.2 is barely adequate  on the steep hills.  But snotty as hell on the flats.

Anyway, I am trying to raise the compression ratio in the 5.9 which, I am told, will give me better mileage as well as some head work, which I am doing now.

Anyway, I am torn.  I was trying to find a set of flat top pistons for the engine, but they don't exist.  If I go with the below, what will I accomplish?  I need a new set of eyes and ears on this.

I love the price of the 2nd one. . . .

I am also looking into a shorter duration and higher lift cam

This is the one in the 5.2 now.

CARB EO Number: D-225-47

POLARACO2010-02-24 23:38:09
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2009, 05:38:26 PM »

My 0.02, go with the first piston, higher compression with the tall compression distance (like you don't know this already) 

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

glen cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2009, 06:17:05 PM »

The ZH405CP30 pistons have 4 valve reliefs so you can "reverse" the pistons while the other ones you cannot as the wrist pin centerline will be at zero. The reverse style pistons have the wrist pins offset .030-.060 so when the notch is facing forward as most people would use this piston,there is an increase on the load on the piston and cyl. wall,but it makes the piston quiet when cold. "Reversing" the piston (notch facing to the back) will decrease the load on the piston and cyl. walls,BUT makes the piston noisier when cold. We used to reverse the pistons on the 340's as this was a racer's trick back then and is said to add 4-5 hp. It was free so to speak. I can't say but i think the piston will be +above the deck just a bit,and each notch is approx 3cc's so it looks like it should be around the 10.0 compession ratio,although i don't know the exact specs of the headgaskets and a few other aspects of it. For that price for coated skirts on a hyper piston,they are a real good deal. I tried finding the weight of them to no avail as the originals were about 470-480 grams,so you may not have to rebalance if they are close.

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »

Quote from: Moesy
My 0.02, go with the first piston, higher compression with the tall compression distance (like you don't know this already) 

I went with the second ones Moe.  They would make the ratio 9.9.  The first ones are 9.4.

I can still run regular gas with the EFI and not have any knock

Glen
Thanks for responding so quickly.  I went with #2.  Using trimetal bearings with the Tin Coating on the rods and the Federal Mogul MA series with the Silicone on the mains.

Started to mess with the heads, but I need a better tool, ordered.  I'll be able to do a better job with a bigger bit.

I heard they are noisey as anything in backwards, but it makes sense to do that.  It only lasts a minute or so.  I may just do it.  I wasn't looking for the daul relief, but now I know why it's in the piston.  You're right though, that price has to be a mistake.  They are the same construction piston as the other with double relief and a slightly higher ratio.  Go figure.  I couldn't buy stock pistons for that price.  They were 19.00!

Pistons, moly rings, Federal MA series mains and clevite rod trimetal, cost me $278.00.  Hello a deal.  Now I am wondering if I should shave .005 off the heads or not.  I'll be adding a CC or so to the chamber when I am done.  But if I keep the ratio under 10, I should have no worries with the junk they call Gasoline.

This still needs allot more work.  I need a bigger diameter and longer  tool.  On it's way

REMEMBER SPORTS FANS, TRY TO TAKE EQUAL AMOUNTS OUT OF EACH CYLINDER.  That way the cylinders will stay balanced

POLARACO2011-01-23 12:35:14

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2009, 02:55:33 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO

Anyway, I am trying to raise the compression ratio in the 5.9 which, I am told, will give me better mileage as well as some head work, which I am doing now.

I just singled out this line just answer something. I didn't really look at the rest;

More compression gives more torque.
If you make sure that the 'more torque'-number happens in the RPM-range you use most (down low, under 2k), the motor will get more MPG because it runs more efficient in that range.

"Most torque", means the motor runs most efficient at these rpms.

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2009, 04:24:58 AM »

Gentlemen. . .

Seriously, Check these out:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=72275

Commando12009-12-22 09:30:17

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2009, 06:22:51 AM »

Those are the ones I bought Stan.  They are higher compression, double relief and Hyperutechnic  (How ever you spell it)  for $17.00????   When it's next closest is single relief, lower compression for 40 bucks each.

It's a typo I tell ya.  I took advantage of it.  Set of 8 pistons for $133.00?

So how does that blower work on the Bro

Stan Paralikis

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2009, 10:45:05 AM »

Ya STOLE'em!!!!
In fact, I'll betcha they were made from a '74 Newport.....

firedome

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2009, 02:28:21 PM »

I betcha for that price they were OUT of a '74 Newport!!

Fuselage C-Body Power!!!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2009, 02:30:54 PM »

Then someone is pretty sharp with photoshop

Herman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 01:30:47 PM »

Probably a generic (Chevy) size which happens to correspond with a 360ci size?
Chevy guys are obviously too thick to know the difference between the front or back of their puny engines, so the pistonmakers decided to prevent constant failures they would make the quad valve relieves.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 03:33:30 PM »

I thought those arrows were for the Indians.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 03:56:44 AM »

Just a little update

I am slowly working on this when I have a few minutes.  Here is the progress on #2 and 4 so far.  That's what it's supposed to look like.  The red marks indicates where it needs a tad more work and I meed to round out above the valve stem and get rid of that dip.

Still don't have the proper tool needed to reach down in the chamber all the way.

glen cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 07:10:47 AM »

The pushrod boss is one of the only area's that really sucks on these heads!. My Eddys were opened up quite a bit in this area and did not go through (although aluminum is much easier to weld if you do). The stock heads have lots of metal here so you can remove quite a bit here. You could throw in a simmilar sized tube in the pusrod hole and eyeball it or you could scribe a line after giving it a shot of paint to guide you. The area across from there can be rounded out also,but you have to leave enough of the metal between ports so the gasket can still seal. I don't know why the factory never moved the rocker (exhaust) simmilar to the 1970 T/A head to get rid of this obstruction? Even with a bit of a cleanup in this area,the heads will still flow great.

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2010, 04:27:00 PM »

Here ya go.  These are completed cylinders and ports except for the spots indicated in red.  I need a longer tool to finish them.  Thye just need to be blended down some so they are smooth.

Look at the pictures above and see the difference fromt he stock heads

Exhaust Ports are partially polished

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC