MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: Performance/economy upgrades for Mopar Small Block  (Read 13601 times)

Guests

Performance/economy upgrades for Mopar Small Block
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2010, 07:43:12 PM »

True, but why stop when there is even more room for improvements?

I will get the crayons out and take a picture of whatever it is I design, even if it is an apple I carve.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 27, 2010, 08:11:51 PM »

don't make it too hard. . .My hands shake alittle.  Good thing I don't do brain surgery. OOPS!
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 28, 2010, 12:50:58 PM »

Hey ED!  Hurry UP!  I'm stalled here

Guests

« Reply #93 on: February 28, 2010, 04:10:53 PM »

Stalled? I thought you were in stasis from the snow!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 01, 2010, 11:28:27 AM »

No. . .it snows outside.  The shop is a toasty 65 degrees.

I wanna see your apple so I can get that done.  My bearings will be here soon, so I want to get going.  I'm looking for the end of March to do this.  It's real close.  If I have to get ready and have everything on hand for a quick swap.  This will be an in and out except for balancing the converter

POLARACO2010-03-01 16:31:05

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 01, 2010, 12:26:39 PM »

Well!  To my pleasant surprise. . . .

I spoke with Kevin at Hughes Performance. . .

He was telling me the mods we're doing to the throttle body could cause a flat spot.  But it's more prevelent in towing.  So we'll see.

The surprise is, Hughes watches our site!

Since I brought this particular thread to their attention, I have a couple of messages for Hughes.

1.  Why not become members and run specials for these guys???   All But Stan have some money. . . . .  He's grinding his own cams with stones.

2.  Kevin      Thank you
3.  Dan. . .He's a new guy. . .    Stay away from the computers!    

4.  I'll take a set of samples of your rockers for this Magnum. . .   I have to put my barge up against Eherenbergs Dak.  And yes, I did tell him to install the air gap. . .  He didn't respond.   We'll have to take the Jersey mob up there and cut off his pony tail.  

POLARACO2010-03-01 17:44:17

Guests

« Reply #96 on: March 01, 2010, 01:50:37 PM »

Quote from: POLARACO
Well!  To my pleasant surprise. . . .

I spoke with Kevin at Hughes Performance. . .

He was telling me the mods we're doing to the throttle body could cause a flat spot.  But it's more prevelent in towing.  So we'll see.

The surprise is, Hughes watches our site!

Absolutely a flat spot will occur, which is one reason why I said taper the top so there is a drop from outside edge of the air hood to the venturii outer entrance. Remember the novel about dead spots and flat surfaces?????????

The other thing that causes the dead spot is the thing I am going to make for you to pattern something more solid out of, because I mentioned the talk about smoke and suction fans in a room???????? Dead spot and flat spot are the same thing. It is too much volume and not enough force to get volume A into port B at low flow (thus a dead spot, lack of flow, suction, movement, as in too much volume, but a fine line of too much space taken up to remove the dead spot and then causing restriction/limitations at higher rpm. I gotta get it right, then someone can talk to me about it if they want).

No distrespect intended or wanted towards Hughes, they have some pretty good product, but I am sooooo sorry, they are thinking inside the same box as everyone else. The thing is, between 15 and 29-30 years ago, I asked all these questions and while I was a Padawan, I was taught how to fix each and every one of them, including routine updates to go from Carburetors, to TB to EFI, how to improve the flow from factory components, exhaust advantages, and outstanding head porting techniques. Here is one that really pisses me off. They went to the trouble to return the Hemi, then they turn around, put dished pistons in it, then do all that garbage to the combustion chamber. I hate the mentality that high compression (up to 12:1) needs higher octane to survive, I hate that they haven't figured out that VVT systems can't be altered to increase bottom end torque the way they do to increase top end performance. I am aghast that intake systems are so inefficient and that mileage hasn't increased more than it has. In short, there are improvements in the amount of power and performance over the engines we were basically raised on, but it is technology increases similar to a natural advancement from snail mail to email, to which the engine technology advances is simply the avancement of having computers without any email addresses.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 01, 2010, 05:28:06 PM »

So in a nutshell

The engine manufacturers are doing wonders with electronics, but a lousey job on the simple stuff like smoother flows. 

I have to say, the 5.9 head sand castings are far better then the GM 350. . .

As far as Hughes is concerned, I have to disagree.  They are far smarter than the site leads you to believe.  Like this cam as an example.  I told him what I wanted to do and in 2 seconds he had the solution.  The website isn't telling the whole story with them.  I say it needs more info.  Too much confusion when trying to figure out what you need.  BUT! They are aslo going with the flow.  Kevin recognized what I am doing and was surprised I went this far to get a few more miles per gallon.  I told him I had a good teacher on this.  Even if he is a swabbie.

Maybe I should buy that valiant, throw the Perkins and trans in Polaraco, slap a turbo in, some injectors, Inter cooler, and forget about all this.  LOL  Nahhhh  I would rather do it to another C.

Guests

« Reply #98 on: March 01, 2010, 09:25:07 PM »

Steve, no problems with cutting single cam profiles, I am glad they were quick enough to figure out what I told you needed done to get the mileage up and real low rpm torque numbers, that's good. Don't think I said anything about any of the guys over there being unqualified, there are a lot of good guys out there, it just isn't showing up from the factories like Mopar used to do back in the 60s and early 70s (GM has always been sloppy, they just got arrogant after the 1955 Daytona 500 and the two laps ahead of everyone else by finding the loophole on tire size...everyone ran 15inch, Chevy did 16inch).  It looks like they did a good job on the cam, was glad to see that. Did you get my personal I sent you?
Ed

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 02, 2010, 06:42:59 AM »

We agree on the Factories.

That Air Gap intake was an answer to the factory blunder. . . .

Guests

« Reply #100 on: March 02, 2010, 07:21:09 AM »

Quote from: POLARACO
We agree on the Factories.

Don't forget about the excess cam splash into the top of the valley pan area. Better materials, heavier duty, may not always be the fastest, but they are definitely the last to blow up in the extreme zones, last longer than most of the other factory original stuff on the road. Always room for improvements, which is why there is aftermarket and hotrods, right?

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 02, 2010, 09:32:56 AM »

the Air Gap was more expensive to cast because of the water passages in the smallblock.....the B and RB Mopars may have been the originator or the air gap idea.....early Hemi, Stude and Caddy/ Olds engines had separate valley covers, but not a lot of room between it and the manifold for air to flow through....

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 02, 2010, 10:36:02 AM »

There is close to 2" of space on this one. 

You are right though. . . . .  But the B & RB had limited space and usually had the insulation crunched in there

glen cyr

• View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 03, 2010, 08:23:49 PM »

If you were running an air cleaner,...this would be the perfect suppliment to finnish it off with

Glen
1969 Monaco 500,418 stroker w/3:73s

Guests

« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2010, 07:23:29 AM »

Quote from: stitcherbob
the Air Gap was more expensive to cast because of the water passages in the smallblock.....the B and RB Mopars may have been the originator or the air gap idea.....early Hemi, Stude and Caddy/ Olds engines had separate valley covers, but not a lot of room between it and the manifold for air to flow through....

Could have been simplified one of two ways: Valley pan like the B/RB blocks, or a valley pan like the early Hemi, with a cast lip gasket and a pan with two bolts to cover with a plate. Water passage could have been separate, didn't have to be cast as part of the manifold, but that isn't a big deal.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 19   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC