MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 69 new yorker dual exhaust conversion help  (Read 1419 times)

Rich

• View Profile
69 new yorker dual exhaust conversion help
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2009, 04:11:22 PM »

Here  are a few more pics to illustrate the above post:

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2009, 04:14:28 PM »

Butch Houghton

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2009, 11:18:16 AM »

The third pic is the one that threw me & now that I look closer that's a Hemi B-body.

The others I see how you did it, nothing wrong with that routing but I prefer to go outside straight to the notches.   The turns aren't as tight going that way either and the pipes stay completely away from the starter & trans,  gives lotsa room to work if you have to.

If I could get to the car I'll try to take an underside pic of the originals & how they route.

In the end there's plenty of room under for going either way.

Butch

68 Dart GT - 394 Stroker/6 Pack
70 Fury Gran Coupe - 472 Hemi
70 Sport Fury - 383 Magnum FK5

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2009, 11:46:18 AM »

I think TTI bends their C body pipes that way to save $$ - the head pipes appear to be bent very similarly to B body pipes, only kicked outward at the ends to go through the cross member cut outs.. 

On my Newport's passenger side there isn't enough room to run the pipe straight down from the manifold to the outside of the torsion bar unless it is bent far to the rear before it goes down. It looks like it was easier for them to run it down inside the torsion bar before kicking it to the outside. The drivers side could easily have been made to go on the outside of the bar and would not have that sharp bend right where it bolts to the manifold.

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2009, 02:14:57 PM »

I was going to say, TTI does them different than anyone else.  I agree with Butch though, that sharp bend could impair the flow a tad.  The only way to compensate for that is to make larger pipes.

Since we don't know what he has, it's a tough call.  But the stock did go on the outside of the T Bar.

I can't say I am thrilled with the pipe going under the T Bar.  Looses ground clearence, and could heat up the T Bar.  They're sensitive enough, as it is, to scratches and heat.  If you look at the cross member further back, it's notched OUTSIDE of the T Bar to allow closer body clearences.

Just looking at it from an engineering standpoint
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2009, 04:57:20 PM »

I don't think the way TTI has the pipes bent restrics the flow much if at all. They are all mandrel bent and fairly smooth. The old exhaust that was on the car was a rusty cobbled together mess of parts that had been spliced and welded together over the years...the TTI system added 40 rear wheel horsepower before I put in a bigger cam.

Stitcherbob

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2009, 09:54:00 PM »

I think it's done that way so they have a short H pipe....my Imp has the pipes done like Butch said and the H pipe would have to be as wide as the crossmember almost....

They treat me like dirt! I'm better than dirt! Well better than most kinds of dirt. Maybe not as good as store-bought dirt.Thats got nutrients & stuff

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2009, 02:14:07 PM »

[/QUOTE]

Hey Moe, what's with that stain on your trans pan?  Were you cooking doughnuts once?
It's green here in Chico!!

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2009, 02:42:28 PM »

I found a pic of some badly bent muffler shop duals on a '66-68 C body that are installed outside the torsion bars- there doesn't appear to be near enough room to fit the big (2 5/8" or 3 1/8" O.D.) TTI pipes through the drivers side.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 01:50:24 PM »

[/QUOTE]

Hello Boys.  I was doing some tweaking on my Newport today.  Looking for something else I saw my exhaust header pipes.

They are ...

(drum roll)

... outside of the torsion bars.

I did say earlier that my exhause is custom, and that is so.  The driver's side is outside the bar and it's a total replacement.

However, my exhaust man used the factory header pipe on the passenger and it, too, is outside the bar.

Since the subject is a '69 New Yorker 440, which would be neraly identical to my '70 Newport 440, I'd go with whomeever said "outside" and say, "That is correct."
It's green here in Chico!!
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC