MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: dual master conversion  (Read 774 times)

Milton

• View Profile
dual master conversion
« on: October 22, 2009, 07:36:53 PM »

I have a 1960 Desoto with power drum brakes and I would like to convert my single master cylinder to a dual cyl. I would appriciate any info as far as what master cyl. will work and what other parts will be needed. The master cylinder sits under the power booster so that there is very little clearance between the two. A new cyl will have to be the same height or lower than the OE.
Thanks,
Milton
Milton

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
dual master conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 08:18:23 PM »

Hello Miltom!

Tell us about you and your car!
WELCOME!
A standard 2 throat manual brake master will work.  1967 1968 Mopar will bolt in.  Try to get the one with the bolt down cover.  I've seen guys put dip sticks in them

From there, you can connect direct to the rears with an an adaptor for the fitting and to the fronts.  Make sure you get one for drum brakes.  You need to have residule check valves.

I have a 59 Saratoge, but I put a modern bendix system in it and 4 wheel disc brakes.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Milton

• View Profile
dual master conversion
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 02:18:49 PM »

Polaraco,

Thanks for the feedback.  What are the residule check valves you referred to?

My Desoto is a 1960 Fireflite 2 dr. It is all orginal except for the paint. It has the 361, ps, pb, torqueflite and factory ac. It was repainted red from the orginal white. The paint is badly faded on top and the white is coming through in several spots. It needs a complete cosmetic restoration and replacement of the trunk floor and back panel. Mechanically, it is not too bad, needs front end work and of course brakes. The engine and trans are strong. The engine does not smoke and will pass emissions.  The ac is empty and I'm sure it will leak but all the componets are there.

Milton

Milton

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
dual master conversion
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 04:23:41 PM »

The residual check valves are in the Master Cylinder.  Not to worry.  Just buy a drum brake dual master and you'll be covered.

However, if you do go to disc brakes, you will have to remove the valves for that axle.  We'll worry about that when the time comes.

The residule holds a slight pressure on the wheel cylinders so they respond faster.  I recall it being 6 PSI.
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted
Pages: [1]   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC