MoparFins

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

We changed servers, which is good, and lost all passwords, which is bad. See above.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: 69 new yorker dual exhaust conversion help  (Read 1345 times)

69newyorker

• View Profile
69 new yorker dual exhaust conversion help
« on: October 20, 2009, 05:50:17 PM »

hello,  im  new  here,  i  have  a  question  for  you  good  people  .    I  have  a  69  new  yorker  im  converting  in  to  dual  exhaust,   I  have  the  correct  hp  c  body  exhaust  manifolds,  i  have  the  down  pipes, extention,  pipes,  mufflers,  and  tail,  Okay  my  problem  is  how  to  get  the  down  pipe, on  the  drivers  side  in, dose  it  go around  the  torsion bar, behind  the  torsion  bar,  or up  close  to  the  stering, Im  at  a  loss, dose  anyone  have  a  picture  i  can  look  at,  Ive  tryed  to  find  one  all  over  the  web,  nothing.  Any  help  would  be  appt,  thanks   

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2009, 06:06:22 PM »

The guy who can probably answer that is either 68CBarge or HemiFury.  Possibly Snotty too.

Let me look on the main site and see if I have a picture of that.  Seems to me I do.

Those guys are regulars, so check back in a day or so.

In the mean time

WELCOME!
Favorite Expression. . . Damned Kids.  Lots of projects.  Donations accepted

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2009, 06:29:51 PM »

I just went through a few possibilities.

It seems to me it goes on the outside of the torsion bar, and yes it is close to the steering box.

I would, if I were you, install an oil cooler in the power steering return line.

I haven't done one of those in years, but I will be on my Fury Vert soon.

Snotty

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 08:27:57 PM »

Thanks for the kudos Steve, but my car was originally a 383 2 bbl with a single exhaust.  My current system is custom.

Welcome '69!  I assume you have the 350 HP 440 since you are adding the HP manifolds.   I would recommend against using those as they make it a real pain to change your spark plugs.  However, they are cheaper than trying to go with a custom header.

Tell us about your car - 2 door, 4 door?
It's green here in Chico!!

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2009, 08:41:35 PM »

The pipes go inside the torsion bars-the one on the drivers side should have a fairly tight turn right at the top where it bolts to the manifold. (see pics)

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2009, 09:00:45 PM »

Here are a couple more pics:

69newyorker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 04:34:24 AM »

Thanks  for  all  the  information,   pics  are  great,   its  a  4  door  hardtop,  yes  it  is the  hp  440,  with  hp  manifolds,  The  car  is  really  in  great  shape,  all  origanl  paint,  F3   surf  green  poly,  never  any  bondo,  97,  thousand  miles,   seats  have  a  few  tears,  but  all  still  there, 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 06:59:01 AM »

it's grean. .  .

What a surprise.  LOL

Leaburn Patey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 07:09:07 AM »

Yeah,what Kraut said.
I have the TTI system on my 68 New Yorker and it fits like a glove.Quiet on the highway at cruising speeds and barks when thrust upon.
TTi says you may need to use an adaptor for the trans linkage--but I did not need to do that.
Make sure you disconnect the battery before installing the front pipe!! (I got zapped when the pipe touched the starter,LOL!!)

1968 Newport Custom project BOAB
1973 Satelitte wagon
1983 Dodge 400
2006 300C HEMI!!

Butch Houghton

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 05:44:51 AM »

I have to disagree here,   the C-bodies go outside the T-bars.    My 70 SF still has it's original headpipes ( at least the first 3 feet! ) & they go outside.

If you look at the first 3 pics that looks like a B-body,  the notches in the trans X-member are inboard as all A-B-E's are.    The bottom pic with the headers is a C-body,  look at  the hard turn  the headpipes make to go out to the notches in the X-member.  All the C-bodies have the notches in the X-member outside of the T-bars.   All of them we've had done here are outside & that's either with the lo-po or High-po manifolds.

Butch

68 Dart GT - 394 Stroker/6 Pack
70 Fury Gran Coupe - 472 Hemi
70 Sport Fury - 383 Magnum FK5

69newyorker

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 04:26:05 PM »

Thanks  for  all  of  everyones  help,   I  got  the  pipes  on,  It  sounds  awsome,   The old  440,  really   roars. 

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 05:13:55 PM »

Cool

Outside the bar like Butch and I said? or Inside?  Save me 5 minutes when I go to do this myself

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 11:29:55 PM »

Here's a shot of the original single exhaust on Chaz...note the left side goes inside the t-bar and the right side goes outside the t-bar.  I'm pretty sure that would remain the same for the fusey C's since the basic under-pining platform wasn't changed that much, but it is a guess on my part, too, so I COULD be wrong. 

'67 300 2 door "Fast top" with factory A/C, 1973 disc power brakes,Firm Feel Stage 1 power steering, Auto-pilot, up for sale!

Steve

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2009, 07:47:40 AM »

He has Hipo exhaust manifolds.  The rules change

Rich

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2009, 02:49:37 PM »

Quote from: HemiFury
I have to disagree here,   the C-bodies go outside the T-bars.    My 70 SF still has it's original headpipes ( at least the first 3 feet! ) & they go outside.

If you look at the first 3 pics that looks like a B-body,  the notches in the trans X-member are inboard as all A-B-E's are.    The bottom pic with the headers is a C-body,  look at  the hard turn  the headpipes make to go out to the notches in the X-member.  All the C-bodies have the notches in the X-member outside of the T-bars.   All of them we've had done here are outside & that's either with the lo-po or High-po manifolds.

Butch

The first two pics are my '68 Newport with HP manifolds and TTI pipes, the third is a B body, the last is a '68 300, and the pics don't lie.  All the pipes go Inside the torsion bars where they meet the manifolds - they do eventually go below, then outside the torsion bar so they can pass through the cutouts in the cross member.  I guess it all depends on who makes the pipes because it looks like you could bend them to go on either side of the bar.

krautmaster2009-10-24 20:49:58
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

© 2008-2014 Steve Hobby • © 2015 Allpar, LLC